48145
47153

Shutting down of ideas

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby Ka-El » Aug 26th, 2017, 11:02 am

fvkasm2x wrote: We seem to be drifting farther apart, when we are in a time (with all the knowledge and technology) where you'd think we'd be closer together.

I agree and I don’t think this is completely an accident. I think there are forces at play that actually want to encourage polarization and divisiveness. I think one of the problems, to criticize conservative thinking, is the fear of change. The world and society is evolving and many conservative thinkers don’t like what they see. For example, cultural and social evolution, which has included the prolific migration of non-whites through societies of the western world, is inaccurately, and fearfully referred to us “cultural genocide”. Liberals tend to value diversity and inclusion, and tend to recognize and accept that the world is changing and moving forward. Conservatives, a good number at least, seem to fear it that change and seem to believe (erroneously I would suggest) that social evolution can be stopped, and even reversed. There is a hope among most centrists (which is where I would put most liberal thinkers) that we come closer on some of the ideas that separate us, based on facts and evidence from science and research rather than rhetoric and fear. However, it is possible the achievement of cooperation and mutual understanding may interfere with the agenda of certain political forces. We live in interesting times.
Donald Trump: woefully unsuitable, unqualified and unfit to be president

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3307
Likes: 1562 posts
Liked in: 2537 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 8:19 am

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby Ka-El » Aug 26th, 2017, 11:03 am

slimebucket wrote: Seems like trolls and bullies just band together and ignore each others actions and focus on attacking their "mark".

Guilty as charged - but I can at least admit and acknowledge that, and make the commitment to try and do better. It is only human to react to stupidly dangerous ideas, especially when we have to realize these ideas aren’t always harmless and just one poster’s opinion and can present a risk to all of us by creating even more divisiveness. Still, the point is well taken that we would look better by focusing on attacking those ideas, rather than those who present them.
Donald Trump: woefully unsuitable, unqualified and unfit to be president

OldIslander likes this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3307
Likes: 1562 posts
Liked in: 2537 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 8:19 am

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby Ka-El » Aug 26th, 2017, 11:04 am


Vey good. Thanks
Donald Trump: woefully unsuitable, unqualified and unfit to be president
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3307
Likes: 1562 posts
Liked in: 2537 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 8:19 am

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby Queen K » Aug 26th, 2017, 11:25 am

Would you live in a time before modern dentistry? I clicked on the George Washington slave teeth link at the bottom, uh, no.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 48280
Likes: 8571 posts
Liked in: 9408 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby CoffeeCanuck » Aug 26th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Opeeved wrote:And oh, chimps fling feces, not orangutans.

My personal experience while watching the orangutans at a zoo is they very much do fling their feces, and it was directed at all the spectators.
Image
User avatar
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4303
Likes: 981 posts
Liked in: 802 posts
Joined: Dec 18th, 2004, 3:38 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby Opeeved » Aug 26th, 2017, 12:11 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 26th, 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Baiting
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
User avatar
Opeeved
Fledgling
 
Posts: 284
Likes: 65 posts
Liked in: 103 posts
Joined: Aug 9th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby Opeeved » Aug 26th, 2017, 12:16 pm

super man wrote:. I think there are forces at play that actually want to encourage polarization and divisiveness
quite right. Divide and conquer. Oldest tactic in the "book".
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
User avatar
Opeeved
Fledgling
 
Posts: 284
Likes: 65 posts
Liked in: 103 posts
Joined: Aug 9th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby Ka-El » Aug 26th, 2017, 1:01 pm

p.s. Superman is my cousin, Kal-El. He's got the muscle. I'm the one with the brains. :D
Donald Trump: woefully unsuitable, unqualified and unfit to be president

Opeeved likes this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3307
Likes: 1562 posts
Liked in: 2537 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 8:19 am

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby Opeeved » Aug 26th, 2017, 3:07 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 27th, 2017, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do NOT change usernames.
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
User avatar
Opeeved
Fledgling
 
Posts: 284
Likes: 65 posts
Liked in: 103 posts
Joined: Aug 9th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby Opeeved » Aug 26th, 2017, 3:08 pm

Ka-El wrote:p.s. Superman is my cousin, Kal-El. He's got the muscle. I'm the one with the brains. :D

So .noted :)
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
User avatar
Opeeved
Fledgling
 
Posts: 284
Likes: 65 posts
Liked in: 103 posts
Joined: Aug 9th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby fvkasm2x » Aug 27th, 2017, 10:29 am

Ka-El wrote: Liberals tend to value diversity and inclusion, and tend to recognize and accept that the world is changing and moving forward. Conservatives, a good number at least, seem to fear it that change and seem to believe (erroneously I would suggest) that social evolution can be stopped, and even reversed.


As someone who is neither, but admittedly leans towards the conservatives more so... I don't think that's necessarily the reason they are "opposed" to the change. It's just that they don't like the direction that change is heading in. They don't agree with the changes being made. While you say the change is moving forward, some (like myself) think the change is actually for the worse in some aspects.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
fvkasm2x
Guru
 
Posts: 6527
Likes: 243 posts
Liked in: 982 posts
Joined: Apr 1st, 2007, 2:06 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby Ka-El » Aug 27th, 2017, 11:24 am

fvkasm2x wrote: I don't think that's necessarily the reason they are "opposed" to the change. It's just that they don't like the direction that change is heading in. They don't agree with the changes being made.

That’s too bad. The world will move on with or without them.

fvkasm2x wrote: While you say the change is moving forward, some (like myself) think the change is actually for the worse in some aspects.

We have a long way to go, and given the resistance to changes (inclusion vs isolation, cooperative collectivism vs competitive individualism, education and intellectualism vs partisan rhetoric and ignorance) the ride will prove to be tough. However, these changes will be critical to the ultimate survival of humans as a species on this planet. Sadly though, while change can be uncomfortable for some, it is the efforts to resist this change that will be the most destructive. Social and cultural evolution is inevitable. To have any positive impact on the direction of change, people need to embrace the fact it will continue and look hard to see and understand the bigger picture. Our global demographics (race, religion, sexual identity, etc.) are changing rapidly, and we have as much (if not less) influence on that than we do on climate change. Assuming we can affect that (such arrogance), or isolating ourselves from the world would prove to be our failure. In this regard, Trudeau is right on track.
Donald Trump: woefully unsuitable, unqualified and unfit to be president
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3307
Likes: 1562 posts
Liked in: 2537 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 8:19 am

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby Because_They_Lie » Aug 27th, 2017, 1:23 pm

A great example of the point the OP is making is when I post a video here on Castanet forum in "social concerns" a video made by truthstream media about google and the censorship of ideas and beliefs such as shown in the novel "1984" by George Orwell and upon my return 24 hours later I find my thread moved to "conspiracy and wierd science". That is an active & intentional agenda. The censorship and the beat down will grow exponentially.
Because_They_Lie
Fledgling
 
Posts: 256
Likes: 160 posts
Liked in: 68 posts
Joined: Jun 27th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby fvkasm2x » Aug 27th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Ka-El wrote: However, these changes will be critical to the ultimate survival of humans as a species on this planet.


Racism, immigration, gender identity and any other current event going through "change" right now has no bearing on the survival of our species though.

Overpopulation and killing of the Earth and it's resources are getting worse every year and at this point, there's no stopping it. Our species is doomed, it's just a matter of time.

Gun control, pride parades, X on birth certificates and tearing down racist statues have absolutely nothing to do with the survival of our species.
User avatar
fvkasm2x
Guru
 
Posts: 6527
Likes: 243 posts
Liked in: 982 posts
Joined: Apr 1st, 2007, 2:06 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB

Re: Shutting down of ideas

Postby f/22 » Aug 27th, 2017, 8:15 pm

So let’s go down swinging.

O. Hilrich’s project.

Seemingly abandoned or completed in 2014.

Human basics

Need for human basics

“ . . . Never before in human history the earth has been populated with so many individuals, and never before humans have had to live in such big and culturally mixed populations. And maybe also never before there was such a need for understanding and agreement between different cultures about the basics of our human nature and about universal human values as in our divided and contradictory world of today. . . .”

HTML http://www.humanbasics.org/Human_Basics ... asics.html

PDF http://www.humanbasics.org/Human_Basics ... 9-2014.pdf

Let's give ourselves the best palliative care we can.

Ka-El likes this post.
f/22
Board Meister
 
Posts: 440
Likes: 104 posts
Liked in: 142 posts
Joined: Mar 21st, 2017, 10:40 am

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Thinktank and 7 guests