Caught in closed park

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Caught in closed park

Post by ferri »

Almost a week after several Okanagan parks have been closed due to fire danger, people are ignoring posted closure signs.

A resident living in view of Eain Lamont Park on West Kelowna's Mount Boucherie has spotted several people walking by 'Danger, Keep Out' signs posted on trails there.

“There were two cars with three people that pulled up to the closed gate (on Friday),” said the resident.

more:
https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... losed-park
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Ramius

Re: Caught in closed park

Post by Ramius »

Basically some people are just selfish cretins. They want to do what ever they want with no thought or consideration for the consequences. I am 3/4 century old and I swear people have lost all common sense and assume others will think for them. These people may be well educated but they are not wise. Sorry for the rant, it's impossible to legislate stupidity out of society.
You are entitled to your own beliefs but not your own facts. {rh}
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

But...but...surely the rules don't apply to ME!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

we need names . :smt045
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

maryjane48 wrote:we need names . :smt045

Wow, that park must surely be destroyed now with all those people walking their dogs through it. Hope we get names so we can "shame" them.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

rules are for everyone breakem and face the piper . hows your firepits coming along ?
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:we need names . :smt045

Starting with the names that request names of others. Be a grown up, you want to shame someone, be a grown up about it and don't do it anonymously, unless of course, its just a source of some juvenile entertainment for you.
maryjane48 wrote:rules are for everyone breakem and face the piper

Thats right, and us grown ups let the piper deal with it, thats what they're there for. Someone breaks the rules, they get caught then they get the appropriate and established penalty.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

I'll preface this by saying I'm not going into any closed parks, but honestly, if you think some signs are going to stop the same kinds of people who are those setting our forests on fire you're wrong. The whole concept of closing parks due to fire danger is completely absurd to me in general. It doesn't stop the problem it just relocates it.

I spend almost all of my free time in the backcountry.. I just don't understand how this is supposed to help and I can't get angry at some bloke walking his dog, who poses zero risk to anyone. If we're seriously considering closing all of our natural areas due to fire risks then jesus christ, I am moving.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

StraightTalk, I agree with you. Common sense goes out the window when the government who is apparently looking out to protect us does stupid things like banning access to all parks for people who are walking. I was unaware walking was a serious fire hazard. I better start carrying my fire extinguisher when I am out hiking the trails in the summer; don't want to spontaneously combust.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I think rules (like closing a park) have to make sense if you want people to follow them. Closing a park for safety reasons (such a as unstable banks by a rushing creek), makes sense and is for public safety. Closing a park to people walking, hiking, taking their dogs for a spin, in the name of fire hazard doesn't make much sense (unless your dog is urinating butane).
What might be reasonable is banning smoking in this province. There is no useful purpose to it, no one has to smoke, and I can't figure out why it is still legal considering all the various harms it causes. I can't think of one good thing about smoking. Let's say B.C. has over half a million smokers. That's a lot of people with a very dangerous item walking around every single day, several times a day. Sure 95% of them will be responsible and NEVER abosolutely NEVER discard a butt. That leaves quite a few potential fires started every single day. If anyone can give us one good reason as to why smoking is still permitted, let's hear it.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Silverstarqueen wrote:If anyone can give us one good reason as to why smoking is still permitted, let's hear it.

It's legal for the same reason you're allowed to buy a can of coke or a bag of fried potatoe chips. Coke serves no nutritional value, rots your teeth, causes diabetes and numerous other health problems. Fried potatoe chips contain acrylamide, a known carcinogen that is formed when foods are baked or fried at high temperatures which causes cancer.

Smoking is dangerous and unhealthy, yet people have the choice to consume it; same as alcohol. "Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety" - Benjamin Franklin.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Silverstarqueen wrote:If anyone can give us one good reason as to why smoking is still permitted, let's hear it.

Two words - tax revenue.
Doubt BC is in a hurry to lose the amount they collect every year.
2015-2106 revenue: 734,000,000

http://www.smoke-free.ca/pdf_1/totaltax.pdf
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Sparki55 wrote:It's legal for the same reason you're allowed to buy a can of coke or a bag of fried potatoe chips.

Smoking is NOT permitted in many places including parks. The current fire at Monte Lake was caused by a discarded cigarette (allegedly) which could result in multiple charges if the person is caught.
Last edited by Fancy on Jul 27th, 2017, 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
spooker

Post by spooker »

The reason for the rules is pretty simple ... the few ruin it for the rest ... in general people are reasonable and will do the right thing ... but the few who do the wrong thing get the reaction from the government that causes the signs to go up and the other reasonable people to be blocked
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

spooker wrote:The reason for the rules is pretty simple ... the few ruin it for the rest ... in general people are reasonable and will do the right thing ... but the few who do the wrong thing get the reaction from the government that causes the signs to go up and the other reasonable people to be blocked

That's not the way the rules in this country is supposed to work. If the few are doing the wrong thing, then go find those people and charge them.

I don't think closing the park down was aimed at the dog walkers, and I doubt any of them will be fined if caught. The fine seems like another tool the district has if they need it to levy against someone acting dangerously in the park.

I don't smoke, but making smoking illegal would not be good. It would become another item that the criminals can profit from.

Return to “Social Concerns”