I love you Millenials!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
richardclank
Fledgling

Re: I love you Millenials!

Post by richardclank »

kgcayenne wrote:
richardclank wrote:…One such task was just delivering a wheelchair to a particular floor, and I didn't mind completing the task at all, but I didn't understand why it was passed off to me simple because the older employee felt entitled to pick and choose his tasks...

This is why:
richardclank wrote:I just started working my first 'professional' …

New hires have to be humble no matter what age group.

I have recent experience with some new hires, one temporarily thought their degree meant they out-ranked, and therefore ‘managed’, all who had only diplomas or certificates. It was swiftly explained: “That’s not how it works.”

I'm extremely confused by your post. Why did you quote the part about the task of delivering a wheelchair but not the preceding 3-4 sentences clearly explaining that the older employee was -directly- asked to complete this task? Instead of simply doing what he was asked, he complained, and pawned the task onto me.

I'm not disagreeing with new hires having to be humble. I stated I had no problem completing the task but was simply questioning why the older employee felt self-entitled enough to flat-out refuse to complete a task and pawn it off on a younger employee. It makes older generations look bad and as though they only care about completing tasks they feel are up to some sort of standard.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

What does the management structure allow?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
richardclank
Fledgling

Post by richardclank »

kgcayenne wrote:What does the management structure allow?

The employee I've mentioned isn't a manager but was told by a manger to complete a task so does it matter?

I personally think a lot of animosity in the workplace between millennials and older generations could be completely avoided if more respect were shown. Want to delegate a task to a millennial for whatever reason? Fine, but ask nicely and at least give some sort of reason why. If an order is given in a gruff manner by an older employee, it just makes it appear as though he has some bias against millenials.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I know I will get shot down for this but I deliberately brought this subject up with a group of business owners. All agreed that they have trouble with millennials showing up for work on time ready to work. They all felt that they did not do tasks on their own but had to be told every day to straighten shelves, clean up or whatever when they weren't busy. One in particular who has a number of part time millennials on staff said they even changed one persons arrival time in the morning, but they just came in later, still not on time. They actually complimented them self when they were only 10 or 15 minutes late. This is second hand information and not experience. Our experience was reasonable but then again we sold out in 2004 so it could have changed a lot. My wife did screen people very carefully even though it was part time minimum wage work we ended up with a lot of good employees.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Smurf wrote:I know I will get shot down for this but I deliberately brought this subject up with a group of business owners. All agreed that they have trouble with millennials showing up for work on time ready to work. They all felt that they did not do tasks on their own but had to be told every day to straighten shelves, clean up or whatever when they weren't busy. One in particular who has a number of part time millennials on staff said they even changed one persons arrival time in the morning, but they just came in later, still not on time. They actually complimented them self when they were only 10 or 15 minutes late. This is second hand information and not experience. Our experience was reasonable but then again we sold out in 2004 so it could have changed a lot. My wife did screen people very carefully even though it was part time minimum wage work we ended up with a lot of good employees.

This happens to my wife all the time. She's a retail manager. When people are late, she obviously talks to them about it. She is amazed at the attitude of younger people who don't apologize or acknowledge they were unprofessional, they actually say "It was only 10 minutes." Like it doesn't matter if you are late, as long is it's only a "little bit."

My favorite story of hers is one girl who came in 10 minutes late, complained when she got "in trouble" for being "only" ten minutes late... but then proceeded to go to the bathroom, fix her hair/makeup, check her phone, put on a new shirt and essentially take 10 more minutes AT work to get ready, after she was already ten minutes late.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

was at a op mall the other day ,the girl at the till had to finish texting at least 1 min , before she says .can i help you like wt :cuss:
i left the item at the counter and walked out, told here she looked busy and i walked out
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Interesting how a lot of movies and tv shows from the 90s. The 80s. The 70s even show that exact same sort of thing. Almost as though it's not simply about millenials and more about young people in general.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

people were texting in the 70's and 80's ok then :135:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I'll tell a quick true story that happened and is a sure cure for being late. A bunch of us spent a late!!! Saturday night in the fall and one was a hired man at a nearby farm. About 5:30 in the morning the owner called the hired men to get up get the animals looked after, get breakfast and out to the field for a day of harvesting. Our friend was tired and didn't even hear him. He never called twice he went to his room and found him sleeping uncovered on the bed. He grabbed the handiest handle he could find (use your imagination)and proceeded to yank him out of bed. He never had to call him again, he was always up and ready ahead of time. Whatever works :smt045 .

Maybe a few more people need a wake up call.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

the truth wrote:people were texting in the 70's and 80's ok then :135:

I'm talking being late or being lazy. Listening to their Walkmans. Reading their comics or magazines.

Perhaps you just can't remember. It happens to older generations.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Every single generation thinks they're better than next ones. Every single generation tells how the young people these days are flakes, and back in the day [ insert snow trips to school story here ].

What else is new.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I remember a boss we had in camp in the 80's who locked the door to his office @ 7:30 when we started our daily meeting and if you weren't inside you lost the day. If you thought you had a good enough excuse you could wait around and talk to him but it usually didn't work and even the union seldom stepped in. If it happened a couple of time you got to talk to him with your union rep present.

zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

They say you can't believe everything they say.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Still waiting for you to tell me how to change a hard drive
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

I am a GenX'r i know how to change my oil but go to those quick lube places because it is just easier.

This thread is kinda funny because every single time i am serviced by a millennial.

Return to “Social Concerns”