Art or Junk?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Re: Art or Junk?

Post by Hassel99 »

it looks like rubble after a disaster. Maybe that is fitting for Calgary.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

There is nothing more galling than some local 'art council' comprised of 'upper crust' socialites, tasked with explaining to the great unwashed of their communities -- we poor simple country bumpkins who apparently wouldn't know great art if it bit us on the *bleep* -- what art is. One of the greatest insults to the taxpayers of Canada is the so called "Voice of Fire" that hangs in the National Gallery in Ottawa.

For this, my fellow low-brow. art-ignorant Canadians, we paid the bargain basement price of $3.4 million (corrected for inflation from the late 80's -- it was $1.4M back then...). A middle school class could create a perfect, undetectable forgery in an afternoon. It's always nice to know that our tax dollars are being spent wisely.

When I my wife and I stood in the Accademia Gallery in Florence, staring up at Michelangelo's David, we were both moved to tears. But what would we know, being ordinary common folk who through centuries of poor breeding, simply cannot understand these things...
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^ [icon_lol2.gif] ^^^.....Now I think understand it !

The upper echelon paying homage to all those who are well beneath their
higher state of understanding and status.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm going to knock out six "Voice of Whatevers" and see who bites. [icon_lol2.gif]
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

If that's considered art, junkyards should change their name to galleries.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I don't get why Canadian cities:

1) Pay people from other cities and/or countries for art

2) Pay so much for that art

When there are definitely local artists who could do something just as good, if not better... for far less money.

Why not spend less and feature local artists?

Return to “Social Concerns”