Accelerants in Cigarettes

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Poindexter
Guru

Accelerants in Cigarettes

Post by Poindexter »

Ultimately it's the butt tossers to blame for setting forest fires but I think it's time cigarette manufacturers accept some of the blame and change the recipe.

There's no mystery behind why they add accelerants to the mix, makes their product continously burn even when not being smoked thus increased sales.

In a half hearted effort to change the problems associated with the continous burn, they created safe cigarettes. What they did was add rings of ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer emulsion based adhesive (carpet glue), in a few places along the paper to put it out. Unfortunately there are only three rings of this stuff so the butt will continue to burn until it hits one of them.

Think it's time smokers and non smokers stood up and demanded that manufacturers simply stop adding the accelerants in the first place. Yes people will be inconvenienced by having to relight but if I was a smoker, I'd far prefer that to smoking carpet glue anyway.
Last edited by Poindexter on Sep 3rd, 2017, 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Re: Accelerants in Cigarettes = Forest Fires

Post by Loki2u »

"Hey! I think these things are killing me and causing forest fires! Please change the recipe so I don't die as quick and can continue to toss my butts wherever I please."
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I did start it by saying that butt tossers are ultimately to blame and the intention is not to create a tossible butt. Hope other people get the point.
Dcody

Post by Dcody »

Ciggerettes can cause fires yeah. I honestly believe a lot more fires are started by Cars and low laying SUVs which are Gas pots. There is such a thing called a catalytic Converter which hits temps up to 1100 deg at times on the outside and outlet side of the exaust system burning off No2So4 underneath Gasoline vehicles and most are not shielded to be off road effective, yet no shield at all past the converter itself. If you pull into any such dry brush/Grass in these Dry conditions, whether to be safe while on the phone on the side the road, or just turning around on the side of the rd. There is an extreme chance of fire. I work on bushfires and this anti smokers mafia constantly putting blame on certain peoples always seems to really bother me because many Back country firefighters and those hammering down on fires right now are ones your labeling. glass bottles, even someone just setting their reading glasses down on tinder conditions can light a fire. Anyhow, I just want to get it out to people in gasoline vehicles to understand they are very very capable of lighting fires just by driving over dry grass, especially after driving up hill and working a gas engine and doing the old turn around, driving off the mtn and leaving a fire where they turned around just on a nice drive up the hill. yeah. Watch your ciggeretts too. you would be amazed how many fires are started by cars pulled over on the side the rd or pulling into the grass on a side road up the mtn to turn around then taking off oblivious to the fact they just parked on and drove thru tinder dry grass. I guess everything is always the fault of a cigarette tho! If you dont smoke you cant start a bush fire right!! look at the Logan lake fire! someone playing Survivor in the bush! Too much of this survive in the bush tv is only going to make the problem worse I am sure, people think they got the fire out but don't Know what Duft is and burns down the country. This province Is gonna need to put some serious rules and maybe schooling in effect before many are able to acsess any backcountry. I wonder how many just set down the Binos while sitting on sidehill fires will be started now hunting season is no open by oblivious to their actions Peoples??
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Accelerants in CHEMTRAILS = Forest Fires

(Aluminium powder is combustible and classified as being flammable) Aluminium being 1 of the materials used in Geo-engineering

http://www.eckart.net/fileadmin/eckart/Service/GDA_Alupulver_Safety_engl.pdf
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

This is not to say that only smokers cause fires. Thought that might be obvious so going to change the title of the topic because it obviously is giving the wrong impression. Also opens this up to another wonderful thing we have all had to live with because of accelerants in cigarettes which is flame retardents.

Two powerful industries — Big Tobacco and chemical manufacturers — waged deceptive campaigns that led to the proliferation of these chemicals, which don't even work as promised."

Flame retardants in consumer products are linked to health and cognitive problems
"The average American baby is born with 10 fingers, 10 toes and the highest recorded levels of flame retardants among infants in the world. The toxic chemicals are present in nearly every home, packed into couches, chairs and many other products.
It's estimated that 90 percent of Americans have some level of flame-retardant chemicals in their bodies, and the chemicals are also known to accumulate in breast milk.

This alone is highly disturbing because many studies have linked them to human health risks including infertility, birth defects, lower IQ scores, behavioral problems in children, and liver, kidney, testicular, and breast cancers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... fb800fb0da
https://www.google.ca/amp/amp.timeinc.n ... source=dam
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ked-flame/
Green-light
Fledgling

Re: Accelerants in Cigarettes

Post by Green-light »

Smokers will defend their nasty habit to the bitter end.
The smarter group of us know that additives have been introduced to 'baccy to keep it burning longer and smoother.
The people believe things like car cat's cause roadside fires. Not the case.
Sure a cat' can get hot, but when driving with wind blowing on it, it's not going to reach those temp's, and certainly isn't going to light a blade of grass roadside at 100K/hr.

There are three things causing these man made fires, and ball three of those things are at the hands of idiots.
Pyro's seeking kicks, back country users with no regard for fire bans, and smokers flicking butts.
The first one needs to be imprisoned for a decade or more.
The second need to be fined heavily and banned from the back country for a few years.
The third one needs to be tied up at the base of a pine tree in the middle of a hot spot.
That should about fix the problems.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Firefighters seek to have flame retardants removed from household goods.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bostong ... P/amp.html

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.theatla ... le/404722/
QP12

Post by QP12 »

Green-light wrote:Smokers will defend their nasty habit to the bitter end.
The smarter group of us know that additives have been introduced to 'baccy to keep it burning longer and smoother.
The people believe things like car cat's cause roadside fires. Not the case.
Sure a cat' can get hot, but when driving with wind blowing on it, it's not going to reach those temp's, and certainly isn't going to light a blade of grass roadside at 100K/hr.

There are three things causing these man made fires, and ball three of those things are at the hands of idiots.
Pyro's seeking kicks, back country users with no regard for fire bans, and smokers flicking butts.
The first one needs to be imprisoned for a decade or more.
The second need to be fined heavily and banned from the back country for a few years.
The third one needs to be tied up at the base of a pine tree in the middle of a hot spot.
That should about fix the problems.

That is simply not true. Fires can be caused by vehicle exhaust from just driving by.. See the below link which was released after the 2015 Joe rich fire which everyone speculated saying it was cigarette just because it started by the highway but was actually not the case. Started by a vehicle just driving by.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... d-wildfire
Green-light
Fledgling

Post by Green-light »

QP12 wrote:That is simply not true. Fires can be caused by vehicle exhaust from just driving by.. See the below link which was released after the 2015 Joe rich fire which everyone speculated saying it was cigarette just because it started by the highway but was actually not the case. Started by a vehicle just driving by.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... d-wildfire

Simply not true?

Show me a case where a catalytic converter being really hot, caused a roadside fire.
Exhaust embers are a different story, albeit a very rare and unlikely one.
Straight pipes, leaky exhaust, perforated mufflers or engine not working properly can and do cause the occasional fire, but with the frequency of roadside fires we see this year I think you know better than to insinuate that these are exhaust related fires.
QP12

Post by QP12 »

I am not saying that all of them are caused by exhaust by any means. Yes a lot are from careless cigarette tosses. I'm just pointing out that not all human caused fires are from cigarettes, majority probably are but you stated that nothing else causes fires other than pyros, smokers and campfires lit under a ban. Again, just making a point that they can start from other causes as well. Im sure we can all agree fines should be bigger for cig tossers etc. :up:
Because_They_Lie
Banned

OFF TOPIC
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 5th, 2017, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Response to off topic comment:
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 5th, 2017, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 5th, 2017, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 5th, 2017, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.

Return to “Social Concerns”