Millennials glued to phones

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Millennials glued to phones

Post by MAPearce »

TylerM4 wrote:Old folks been saying the same thing for many a generation.

Current generation is lazy, stupid, addicted to technology, drugged up, and short on morals.

Reality is that old folks don't recognize that the world is changing and they're being left behind.

I dunno.. My kid sits on her duff all day watching "stuff" on the gadgets while the world goes by ..

There are still things to keep up with that don't involve the cell phone...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

MAPearce wrote:
TylerM4 wrote:Old folks been saying the same thing for many a generation.

Current generation is lazy, stupid, addicted to technology, drugged up, and short on morals.

Reality is that old folks don't recognize that the world is changing and they're being left behind.

I dunno.. My kid sits on her duff all day watching "stuff" on the gadgets while the world goes by ..

There are still things to keep up with that don't involve the cell phone...

Just as there things to that didn't involve a VCR, television or the radio.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: millennials glued to phones

Post by whatwhat »

the truth wrote:*removed* that person in the public washroom who can not even take a leak without texting at the same time, i've seen a guy drop his phone in the urinal doing that , trying to pee and text at the same time [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

So someone having an accident means they are of less intelligent?? I drop stuff all the time, I mean never in the toilet, because I sit to pee. Well thats a lie, recently I accidentally dropped the entire toilet paper roll in the toilet, now that was a mess.
hail Satan y'all
I see what you did

Post by I see what you did »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 8th, 2017, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed* :topic:
Last edited by ferri on Sep 8th, 2017, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to removed post
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

MrSandman

Post by MrSandman »

i'm pre-millennial and take my phone to the bathroom. Beats reading the shampoo bottles
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

MrSandman wrote:i'm pre-millennial and take my phone to the bathroom. Beats reading the shampoo bottles

"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
ken tukee

Post by ken tukee »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-205622-4-.htm#205622 need we say more [icon_lol2.gif]

rely on there phones heavily to maintain there sex lives- wt :cuss:

breaking up with someone with a text message--wt :cuss: cowards

can not even take a pee or number 2 without the phone ---wt :cuss:

and they come on here thinking they know everything -- not all but many :laugh: :laugh:

not sure what you mean by "they come on here thinking they know everything". Can you list any examples?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

95% of everyone seem to have a smartphone. I've noticed that when 2 or more people go out for dinner, it only takes one person to start the smartscreen glare, everyone else follows because the conversation has been put on hold and phone content is more appealing than staring at someone staring at their smartphone.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
I see what you did

Post by I see what you did »

MrSandman wrote:i'm pre-millennial and take my phone to the bathroom. Beats reading the shampoo bottles

endless hours of fun!
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Having nothing to read but a shampoo bottle is da woist. Like what am I, a caveman?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Where's the difference in using a cell phone and reading the paper in a crowd? Someone might be actually texting a friend as opposed to reading the funnies.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
forum
Guru

Post by forum »

JayByrd wrote:There was a generation that paid money for pet rocks.

LOL. Exactly.

Cha Cha Cha Chia! exciting times...

Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

The issue is really just about older generations not understanding the benefit of technology. My Grandfather, reading the newspaper at the kitchen table would complain that I was "playing games on my phone". Not realizing that I too was reading the news. Only difference is that while he was reading the local news, I'd already finished my Castanet RSS Feeds, CBC, and I was now onto Al Jazeera.

People likely used to see me sitting on the bus looking at my phone. Am I being anti-social by not talking to the random bus preachers? Truth is I'm in constant communication with 30 or so other people. Friends/Co Workers, many of which have moved off to other parts of the country.

Maybe I'm sitting at the beach. I'm looking at my phone, but I'm not reading the news. Could be a random political blog, or wikipedia articles. Either way, I'm reading and educating myself. How is this any different than someone sitting at the beach reading a book? And if I want to play a game on my phone while I'm camping, and that's a problem. Well should grandma put away her crossword puzzles?

You're right though, I am glued to my phone. Before I had it, I was glued to books. Be it fiction or non-fiction or dictionaries or atlases. Now I can do all of that from the palm of my hand nearly anywhere I go. Am I missing out on "the world"? I would argue not. I tend to know news exactly as it happens. I'm constantly updated on all the important things that matter to me. I'm studying maps and locations to plan my road trips and vacations. Maybe I just happened to be curious about something? I'm at the airport and wonder? "where does YLW or YEG come from?" Well I can find out in 2 minutes, and wonder no more.

Truth is, my smart phone allows me to do all the same things that people have been doing for the last century. Just with more efficiency.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump

Return to “Social Concerns”