Is the End Near???

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Is the End Near???

Postby Dan King » Sep 8th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Ask your self this. is the end near. You might be surprised to see it is not as far off as we might want to believe. Just turn on the TV and watch the news. All you see is all of the catastrophe's happening all over the globe. And it is not getting any better. Is it our fault? Who really knows. It could be a climate cycle that we haven't seen before or we are to blame for all of the things we take for granted that has contributed to global warming. Mother nature is a force we can not control and can not win a race with.We can not compete with her force. So does that make us loser's. Only time will tell.....
Dan's Deluxe Detailing® maintains a full line of specialized car care services designed to clean, polish, protect and help maintain your cars appearance. Dan's D.D.® only uses high-performance products.
Dan King

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Is the End Near???

Postby Loki2u » Sep 8th, 2017, 10:20 pm

Yes. Yes it is.

I'd suggest heading down to the cellar and batting down the hatch. I'll tell you when its safe to come out. :biggrin:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Loki2u
Fledgling

Liked in: 260 posts

Postby rekabis » Sep 8th, 2017, 10:54 pm

I would both agree and disagree.

I would agree: We are in the sixth extinction level event in Earth’s history, and we are the cause. Species are vanishing faster than ever, and that’s just from the 18% that we have discovered and classified to date. Coral reefs have declined by over 80% since the 1600s. Cod, whales and other sea life are not bouncing back even with moratoriums on their harvest. Planetary temperatures are on an accelerating upward swing, and even if we stopped spitting carbon into the atmosphere tomorrow, it will still be several thousand years before things return to normal. Sea levels are expected to rise much faster than was predicted even just a few short years ago, and cities like Miami, New Orleans, New York and Los Angeles are expected to no longer exist (at least in their current form) in just 100 years.

I would disagree: Every year our ability to report on events becomes greater than ever. 70 years ago, only well-funded news crews and well-paid reporters had the tools to record events in film and photo. These days, it is a rare person who doesn’t have a smartphone to record everything and anything that happens around them. Tweets go worldwide in minutes. Instagram pics become worldwide sensations in hours. Our world is saturated in communications, and only about 1% of what reaches us these days would have been reported even 50 years ago. We exist in a constant wash of information, which means even the smallest event is shared, tweeted, clipped and posted for everyone to see. We notice things to a much greater extent simply because the reporting on events is just so much more prevalent and ubiquitous.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.

2 people like this post.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 69 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Sep 9th, 2017, 9:57 am

The "end" has been near since mankind first created the silly concept.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Opeeved likes this post.
Dizzy1
Guru

Liked in: 4150 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Sep 9th, 2017, 10:05 am

The OP mentioned only climate. How about the political climate? It is also warming up around the globe.
TreeGuy
Übergod

Liked in: 859 posts

Postby damager » Sep 9th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Well, you watch the news, so there's problem #1

I'd say you can safely put your tinfoil hat away. For perspective, here is a top ten list of the deadliest natural disasters in recorded history
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_n ... death_toll
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 1.21.58 PM.png
damager

Liked in: 46 posts

Postby Opeeved » Sep 9th, 2017, 1:56 pm

It's the strangest f :cuss: ing thing. Everything I've learned through science. I'm an atheist meaning I don't believe in gods. I also don't know :cuss: about what happens with our energy when we die. I know for example, that 98% of UFO sightings are rationally explainable, there's 2% that can't be explained, by anyone.

The weird part is that the end is wholly within homosapien's grasp. Not just civilisations that have come and gone, but globally, the world's species gone in a cosmic blink of an eye.

And it all comes back to self fulfilling prophecies written thousands of years where the globe was flat; the "entire world" consisted of Arabia/Europe/Africa, only but until their absolute frontiers.

Read revelations and a good deal of the bible as an adult, however as a child the fairy tale still exists.

Some might say that's god tugging, others say brain washing and indoctrination.

My rational side says the latter. And having an interest in the universe, and what's out there, the end is always nigh. I wouldn't be typing this if it weren't for observable evidence of the rise of mammals over dinosaurs.

We are on course for oblivion. There's no question. It's in not only our Written records, but the archeological record too.

Yes in a nut shell, the end is near. Near earth asteroid/comet, nuclear winter, pollution or climate change(natural or not) the human race will cease to exist.

Self fulfilling prophecy.
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
Opeeved
Fledgling

Liked in: 102 posts

Postby Poindexter » Sep 9th, 2017, 2:18 pm

Nope, just the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Omnitheo likes this post.
Poindexter
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3048 posts

Postby Opeeved » Sep 9th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Poindexter wrote:Nope, just the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Tragically hip. Love it. :) people actually wanted to ban that song during 9/11. :cuss: em.
This post was brought to you, by, the letter F, Q and the number 8
Opeeved
Fledgling

Liked in: 102 posts

Postby sulchie » Sep 9th, 2017, 3:37 pm

Opeeved wrote:
Poindexter wrote:Nope, just the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Tragically hip. Love it. :) people actually wanted to ban that song during 9/11. :cuss: em.

REM.

2 people like this post.
sulchie
Fledgling

Liked in: 37 posts

Postby GordonH » Sep 9th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Yep, an asteroid (meaning big one) could hit this planet at any time & that lights out for everything living.... like poof.

Added: since we can only actual watch for this in a very small percentage of space, we could be hit & never knew it was coming.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5199 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Ka-El » Sep 9th, 2017, 4:23 pm

GordonH wrote:Yep, an asteroid (meaning big one) could hit this planet at any time & that lights out for everything living.... like poof.

It's not a matter of "could" or "if", it is simply a matter of when. Of course, we're still quite capable of doing it to ourselves in a multitude of different ways before that ever happens. One way or the other, as a species we better start collectively thinking, planning and acting long term soon or soon there will be no long term (or maybe we start all over from ash).
It's funny how people with the least knowledge of an issue often have the strongest opinions on it
Ka-El
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2269 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Sep 9th, 2017, 8:27 pm

News coverage of every event has intensified many times over. Just because these events happen to be hitting populations within the American news media coverage, they make it sound like the whole of the U.s. is being affected. Seven billion people on the planet and everyone is in a lather because several million Americans have had a rough go of it lately. They have billions of dollars in resources to deal with it. I do feel more sympathy for the relatively poor countries and populations that have been impacted in the caribean and mexico, etc. They are going to have a much more difficult time recovering than the Americans.
At least the U.s. have suddenly turned their attention to something else besides their inept President.

2 people like this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 1698 posts

Postby Bman » Sep 13th, 2017, 6:25 pm

My doctor told me recently that I have only 6 decades left to live. :-(
Is the world getting stupider, or is it just getting easier for stupid people to have their thoughts heard?
Bman
Mindquad

Liked in: 7765 posts

Postby forum » Sep 13th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Nothing happened.
forum
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1050 posts

Next

Return to Social Concerns