How much do apple pickers get paid per bin (slavery?)

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

How much do apple pickers get paid per bin (slavery?)

Post by Thinktank »

First,
can someone tell me the going rate now for picking a bin of apples?

Then - I will discuss slavery in the world.

:smt045
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: How much do apple pickers get paid per bin (slavery?)

Post by youjustcomplain »

Thinktank wrote:First,
can someone tell me the going rate now for picking a bin of apples?

Then - I will discuss slavery in the world.

:smt045

Go and and discuss whatever you want. Fruit pickers are not paid well and work in awful conditions so that farmers can afford to sell apples at competitive prices, (usually out of province). But, the pickers are not owned property. They come here for a variety of reasons, one being that the pay is better here than elsewhere.

If you think they should get better pay, great. But you should also be willing to see the farms close down as they won't be able to sell their apples at a price that buyers will be willing to pay.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I can.

starting Sept 15 (when all minimum wages go up):

$18.89 / bin (27.1 cu. ft.)

source:
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/emplo ... nimum-wage
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Not sure on orchards but I can tell you some of the wineries pay more than minimum bin rate for grapes.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Comparing a low paying job to slavery is just silly.

Every orchard and farmer is different. I grew up on orchards and came from a family of orchardists. If it grows in the Okanagan there's a good chance I've picked it, thinned it, and pruned it. When it comes to picking, here's what my experience has been: Generally, a hard working and well practiced/fast picker can easily earn higher than minimum wage. I've encountered pickers who were practiced/efficient, worked hard, took short breaks, and maybe put in an extra hour or 2 (9-10hr days) that would earn between $150-$200 cash (tax free) a day.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

so let's say the cheapest orchardists pay $22.00/bin and some of the better orchardists pay $26.00/bin.
It doesn't matter. It's a criminally low wage, that equals modern day slavery. $12.00 per hour for slave labor.

We don't live in Guatemala or Zambia here. this is Canada, where lawyers get $300 per hour. Where Justin
just forked over an extra $15 billion for more weapons. Our houses are worth $1,000,000. A 40 lb. box
of apples sells for $100 at retail - the picker gets $1.00 to pick that box. And he better keep picking fast becuase
if he slows down to rest - he'll get $5.00 per hour.

But slavery has always been a good thing, and around the world, slavery will always be a good thing. That's one reason
the rich keep getting richer. Slavery.

Slaves. Even in bible times.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Thinktank wrote:so let's say the cheapest orchardists pay $22.00/bin and some of the better orchardists pay $26.00/bin.
It doesn't matter. It's a criminally low wage, that equals modern day slavery. $12.00 per hour for slave labor.

Pretty hard to argue with nonsense.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/slavery
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Thinktank wrote:so let's say the cheapest orchardists pay $22.00/bin and some of the better orchardists pay $26.00/bin.

I guess the problem here is that you make the assumption that $26/bin = $12/hr = slavery.

None of your equalities make sense. But that could be expected.

Discuss.
You and 71 others Like this post
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

We don't live in Guatemala or Zambia here. this is Canada, where lawyers get $300 per hour. Where Justin
just forked over an extra $15 billion for more weapons. Our houses are worth $1,000,000. A 40 lb. box
of apples sells for $100 at retail - the picker gets $1.00 to pick that box. And he better keep picking fast becuase

But slavery has always been a good thing, and around the world, slavery will always be a good thing. That's one reason

Fine pic there... Although if you had sipped a nice hot cup of research before posting, you'd have discovered that the builders of the pyramids were actually paid labourers... And by today's standards, they were paid equitably.

As for Slavery, there is just simply no equivalent between what any of the estimated 27 million people still suffering under active slavery in today's world go through when held in comparison to "apple picking" in the BC.

That's all I'll say about that.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Anyone who seriously wants to improve the wages of orchard workers should simple buy an orchard. After they pay the millions for the land, the equipment,the trees, the maintenance, shipping, sorting, and a generous wage for the workers (is the farmer entitled to make some money too?). They can come back here and explain to current orchardists, how easily they accomplished this. Also you might want to checkout how much the farmer is getting paid per pound for his fruit before you try to explain how much more the workers can be paid. While the grocery stores might charge a dollar and more for apples, the farmer might be getting 25 cents a pound (not sure what the current going rate is). That 25 cents has to pay for all costs mentioned above, not just the workers wages.
atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

Thinktank wrote: We don't live in Guatemala or Zambia here. this is Canada, where lawyers get $300 per hour.

The fact that any apple picker has the right to work hard and go to school to become a Lawyer here in Canada makes your argument completely invalid.

Next subject please.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
Green-light
Fledgling

Post by Green-light »

Farm labor has always been hard work with low pay. There are those who whine about it, and those that accept it and work hard to improve their methods.
What you lack in book smarts has to be compensated for by hard work. Deal with it.
I grew up picking fruits, veggies and working farms and packing plants.
There were always those who made great money picking, but if you ever saw them work it was impressive.
If you have to work in the picking industry, then just know that only you can make the difference.
Are you going to get fast and furious with the picking, or are you going to shut up, sit down and listen to your teachers this time around?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Thinktank wrote: We don't live in Guatemala or Zambia here. this is Canada, where lawyers get $300 per hour.
atenbacon wrote:
The fact that any apple picker has the right to work hard and go to school to become a Lawyer here in Canada makes your argument completely invalid.

Next subject please.

The apple picker also doesn't have 3 or 4 staff to pay and an office.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

perhaps you should purchase an orchard pay your workers 15 or 20 bucks an hour and get back to us when youre rolling in money because youre selling apples for 10 bucks a piece
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

People haven't learned to think outside the box - that's the big problem these days.

It's not impossible. It's not rocket science. Just pay the pickers a fair human wage. $18.00 per hour
for back breaking slave labor. Pay the orchardists slightly
higher for their apples, and voila - problem solved.

there's no need for the rich to keep getting richer every day.

Return to “Social Concerns”