What would you do without power for 10 days?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: What would you do without power for 10 days?

Post by LTD »

It would be business as usual here emergency gen with disconnect so you don't back feed and kill the guys fixing the lines woodstove well water and a loaded shotgun for those who are unprepared and wish to inflict their hardship upon me.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Bsuds wrote:Aruba has no natural source of fresh water. They get all of it from desalination plants. No power = no fresh water.
They would have a very tough time for 10 days.

Many people all over the world rely on electricity to deliver water. Well pumps are a good example.

Storing 10 days of drinking water isn't a big deal.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

LTD wrote:It would be business as usual here emergency gen with disconnect so you don't back feed and kill the guys fixing the lines woodstove well water and a loaded shotgun for those who are unprepared and wish to inflict their hardship upon me.

i have a real chimney so boiling water to drink , cooking food to eat and burning wood for heat is no problem here :smt045
and like you i am loaded and good to go if someone wants to inflict hardship on my family
get some
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

the truth » Yesterday, 9:12 pm

well your good to go, were do you live lol :up:

Coldstream on higher ground so no worry from flooding but fire, earthquake could be a problem. Also have protection if needed but would not really want to go there. Remember also that wasp spray is as good as bear spray. We even keep a can handy in the motorhome.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

As long as the RV isn't damaged we have everything we need to last 10 days.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

If I were to go without power for 10 days I'd steal Bsuds' RV, apparently it has everything I need. :biggrin:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

As long as they could still water and cut the greens and fairways I'd be okay. :smt045
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Poindexter wrote:If I were to go without power for 10 days I'd steal Bsuds' RV, apparently it has everything I need. :biggrin:

You gonna need a big truck to pull it and I'll be inside.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Bsuds wrote:You gonna need a big truck to pull it and I'll be inside.

Split the cost of fuel and beer and it's a deal. :130:
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

fuel and beer :200: may as well buy your own rv
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

When the power goes out, is when you really appreciate having thought about it beforehand, and hopefully done some preparation. We did lose our power for several days after the 2006 windstorm that decimated Stanley Park. There were a number of power poles down, and trees across power lines in our area. But it didn't affect the natural gas or water, so it was just a bit boring without internet or TV.

We could still heat the living area of the house with a gas fireplace. With our ginny, we could use the stove, the fridge, freezer, and the gas hot water heater still worked. So once they got the main roads open, we went to movies in an area that still had power, and got to know each other again...
:kiss:

It sure made us appreciate it, when the power finally came back on....!
:yahoo:
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I know it's only a short time but can you imagine how annoying brown outs or rolling blackouts would be. Sorry dear suppers going to be late again, not sure when. Oh well we don't get to see the CFL or NHL final. Cancel the big birthday party tonight I couldn't get anything ready and we have no light. You could work around them but man would it be annoying. Fire up the generator,hook up and use the basics but that could get old fast especially it if was very cold out which it very likely could be.
Most of us really don't know how lucky we are.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Smurf wrote:I know it's only a short time but can you imagine how annoying brown outs or rolling blackouts would be. Sorry dear suppers going to be late again, not sure when. Oh well we don't get to see the CFL or NHL final. Cancel the big birthday party tonight I couldn't get anything ready and we have no light. You could work around them but man would it be annoying. Fire up the generator,hook up and use the basics but that could get old fast especially it if was very cold out which it very likely could be.
Most of us really don't know how lucky we are.

It would be a great way to throw off illegal grow op schedules, with all these lights, timers etc. :up:
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

10 days would be an eternity if 96 hours is all we have until we're back to the stone ages.

96 hours to the stone age: How quickly our connected lives crumble when the power goes out
24-48 hours: Enter the information abyss.
48-72 hours: Your wallet is empty and so is your fridge.
72-96 hours: No gas, no water. Now what?

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/gigaom.com/ ... s-out/amp/
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

It makes sense to be prepared.

Different locations have different requirements. Here in Okanagan we're pretty lucky, there isn't much risk of a widespread disaster.

They recommend 3 days because that's how long it would take for the government and other aid agencies to mobilize and assist in a localized event.

Most people can live in their homes for 3+ days without any special preparations. They've got food in their fridge/cabinets to last at least that long. I'm confident I could feed my family for a week with whatever we have laying around. For water - most homes have a hot water tank that's full for the drinking if needed. 40 gallons will go a long way if it's used just for drinking. When I go camping I budget 2 gallons of water/day for my family of 4 (2 young children) which is more than your "8 cups of water a day".

My biggest concern for our population surviving is warmth. No power for a week when it's -20* out wouldn't be pretty as most households don't have wood heat anymore.

Return to “Social Concerns”