46203
48347

Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby Jsquared » Sep 16th, 2017, 11:27 am

I work in a building on Kirschner Road. There has been an increasing number of "street people" setting up their shopping carts in the morning and hanging out within a block of the bottle depot. I've seen people driving very expensive cars stopping and giving their empty bottles to them.

By afternoon, it's obvious how the bottle refund money has been spent. I've seen drug buys in progress, people who are in the process of cooking up their fix, some who have completely passed out and are at times stretched out onto the sidewalk, and many others sleeping in the shade or protection of shrubs or trees.

Very infrequently I see a police presence and for a while the numbers diminish. Before long, however, the crowd once again increases. This morning I used the bottle depot, and I was shocked at the number of street people and shopping carts today. Every pole was occupied. Saturday obviously is a prime day for obtaining some cash. I also saw several vehicles stopping to donate their empties.

I know there are charities who use bottle drives to fund programs for our community. Surely they could use volunteers to receive empties on a Saturday morning at their facilities. It bothers me that what I believe people think is helping this portion of our society is in fact enabling them to purchase their drugs. A donation of food, water or clean clothing items could help without pushing them further in to addiction.

I'd love to hear the thoughts, opinions and ideas from others. Is there a way to help our city by changing the status quo of this two block area?
Jsquared
 
Posts: 1
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Jul 8th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby TylerM4 » Sep 16th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Quickly becoming one of the worst areas of Kelowna.

Part of this problem comes from the "Red Zone" area downtown. So they move to Kirschner or Capri area.

I don't donate to homeless people in any way for this reason. If you want to donate, donate directly to shelters and places like Gospel Mission - much better for everyone involved.

2 people like this post.
TylerM4
Übergod
 
Posts: 1095
Likes: 265 posts
Liked in: 800 posts
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby TJ05 » Sep 20th, 2017, 8:22 am

Jsquared wrote:I work in a building on Kirschner Road. There has been an increasing number of "street people" setting up their shopping carts in the morning and hanging out within a block of the bottle depot. I've seen people driving very expensive cars stopping and giving their empty bottles to them.

By afternoon, it's obvious how the bottle refund money has been spent. I've seen drug buys in progress, people who are in the process of cooking up their fix, some who have completely passed out and are at times stretched out onto the sidewalk, and many others sleeping in the shade or protection of shrubs or trees.

Very infrequently I see a police presence and for a while the numbers diminish. Before long, however, the crowd once again increases. This morning I used the bottle depot, and I was shocked at the number of street people and shopping carts today. Every pole was occupied. Saturday obviously is a prime day for obtaining some cash. I also saw several vehicles stopping to donate their empties.

I know there are charities who use bottle drives to fund programs for our community. Surely they could use volunteers to receive empties on a Saturday morning at their facilities. It bothers me that what I believe people think is helping this portion of our society is in fact enabling them to purchase their drugs. A donation of food, water or clean clothing items could help without pushing them further in to addiction.

I'd love to hear the thoughts, opinions and ideas from others. Is there a way to help our city by changing the status quo of this two block area?


I personally don't see the problem, they are not bothering you directly. If you are seeing open use of drugs and drug deals why don't you report it? Have you given them a donation of food, water or clean clothing items ? I was just down there and I did see maybe three with shopping carts, I don't support the gospel mission because they screwed a friend of mine at their thrift store saying something was gold, when in fact was junk jewelry and then lied and refused a refund. All charities are not honest so as these people see it they rather give directly.
TJ05
Fledgling
 
Posts: 139
Likes: 19 posts
Liked in: 50 posts
Joined: Apr 29th, 2006, 10:19 pm
Location: KELOWNA

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby Bubalouie » Sep 20th, 2017, 10:14 am

Where can one donate bottles, we used to take them to the SPCA but not sure if they still take them.
User avatar
Bubalouie
Guru
 
Posts: 7862
Likes: 153 posts
Liked in: 412 posts
Joined: May 18th, 2005, 8:33 am

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby GordonH » Sep 20th, 2017, 10:52 am

Bubalouie wrote:Where can one donate bottles, we used to take them to the SPCA but not sure if they still take them.


At one time I believe Boys and Girls club would have a bottle drive, not really sure if they still do that.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18124
Likes: 1784 posts
Liked in: 5608 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby whatwhat » Sep 20th, 2017, 11:23 am

Bubalouie wrote:Where can one donate bottles, we used to take them to the SPCA but not sure if they still take them.


You can also donate them at the bottle depot for I believe Pathways, which is an organization for people with disabilities.
hail Satan y'all

Omnitheo likes this post.
whatwhat
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2904
Likes: 2548 posts
Liked in: 2000 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2009, 9:06 am

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby spooker » Sep 20th, 2017, 12:20 pm

I'd like to see all the schools accept donations all year long ... now that I think about I'm going to pitch it at the next PAC meeting ... the Courtyard on Ellis had a barrel in the parking garage that was for donations to the local Boy Scout troop and they'd come and collect the contents each week ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

dirtybiker likes this post.
User avatar
spooker
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 722
Likes: 623 posts
Liked in: 469 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby Bubalouie » Sep 20th, 2017, 1:33 pm

That drop off at the bottle depot is not always open or set up
User avatar
Bubalouie
Guru
 
Posts: 7862
Likes: 153 posts
Liked in: 412 posts
Joined: May 18th, 2005, 8:33 am

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby the truth » Sep 20th, 2017, 1:54 pm

cadets will take them :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12483
Likes: 7339 posts
Liked in: 4310 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby Lore » Sep 20th, 2017, 7:20 pm

Bubalouie wrote:Where can one donate bottles, we used to take them to the SPCA but not sure if they still take them.

I think the spca still takes bottles.
One phone call to them and you'll know for sure.
Lore
Übergod
 
Posts: 1087
Likes: 360 posts
Liked in: 157 posts
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2006, 12:41 pm

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby workingclasshero » Sep 21st, 2017, 6:44 am

I find the process at the bottle depot too difficult and time consuming.
at other provinces you take all your stuff in one bag and they sort it and count it and pay you.
I stopped going to the bottle depot and now put my Al cans in the blue bin and my glass in the garbage.
if it was easier to use the bottle depot people wouldn't be giving their bottles away to the people on the street.
BC has a poor system for people with a life.

the truth likes this post.
workingclasshero
 
Posts: 39
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 14 posts
Joined: Nov 26th, 2007, 12:42 pm

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby the truth » Sep 21st, 2017, 6:49 am

agree 100 %
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12483
Likes: 7339 posts
Liked in: 4310 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby Steve-O » Sep 21st, 2017, 6:54 am

^^ I know right! It is sooo much work to separate them yourself. And sometimes, your hands can get a little dirty. Don't even get me started on having to remove bottlecaps.

2 people like this post.
Steve-O
Übergod
 
Posts: 1062
Likes: 138 posts
Liked in: 383 posts
Joined: Aug 20th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby whatwhat » Sep 21st, 2017, 6:56 am

workingclasshero wrote:I find the process at the bottle depot too difficult and time consuming.
at other provinces you take all your stuff in one bag and they sort it and count it and pay you.
I stopped going to the bottle depot and now put my Al cans in the blue bin and my glass in the garbage.
if it was easier to use the bottle depot people wouldn't be giving their bottles away to the people on the street.
BC has a poor system for people with a life.


Even if you don't want to do your own bottles (please atleast try and donate them), you can at least go to the bottle depot and recycle your glass. All you have to do is dump them in a bin. Don't be so lazy.
hail Satan y'all

spooker likes this post.
whatwhat
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2904
Likes: 2548 posts
Liked in: 2000 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2009, 9:06 am

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Postby Green-light » Sep 22nd, 2017, 4:27 pm

I'm a judgemental prong.
I judge them by appearance, speech and body language.
The same as we all do to each other.
If I can see that they are not totally messed up on some version of crank, then I hand over the bags.

Each person along that stretch of road represents someone that grew up a whole crap-pile worse of than you, or you.
Each one of them has been imprisoned in a mind and body I'd never choose by choice, and neither did they.
Each one of them deserves to interact with those of us that still care, and still connect.

It's easy to drive by and speak down to or about those less fortunate.
It's MUCH harder to actually stop your car, get out with a hand outreached in support and engage with them as a human that you can respect.
I choose to take the harder trail in this case, and often find myself talking up a storm with someone I'd never have expected to have so much in common with.
I'd rather donate my bottles and cans than feed any sort of corporate bin. At least I'm helping a fellow human to exist, rather than keeping the entitled entities alive and kicking and kicking.

Next time you see someone hauling bag after bag after bag of beer cans and boxes upon boxes of wine, rum and gin bottles say hi. That'll be me making my weekly donation.

Drinking is a big part of my philanthropy strategy. :130:

2 people like this post.
Green-light
Fledgling
 
Posts: 148
Likes: 8 posts
Liked in: 71 posts
Joined: Jun 3rd, 2009, 4:11 pm

Next

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Verum and 7 guests