Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Jsquared

Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Post by Jsquared »

I work in a building on Kirschner Road. There has been an increasing number of "street people" setting up their shopping carts in the morning and hanging out within a block of the bottle depot. I've seen people driving very expensive cars stopping and giving their empty bottles to them.

By afternoon, it's obvious how the bottle refund money has been spent. I've seen drug buys in progress, people who are in the process of cooking up their fix, some who have completely passed out and are at times stretched out onto the sidewalk, and many others sleeping in the shade or protection of shrubs or trees.

Very infrequently I see a police presence and for a while the numbers diminish. Before long, however, the crowd once again increases. This morning I used the bottle depot, and I was shocked at the number of street people and shopping carts today. Every pole was occupied. Saturday obviously is a prime day for obtaining some cash. I also saw several vehicles stopping to donate their empties.

I know there are charities who use bottle drives to fund programs for our community. Surely they could use volunteers to receive empties on a Saturday morning at their facilities. It bothers me that what I believe people think is helping this portion of our society is in fact enabling them to purchase their drugs. A donation of food, water or clean clothing items could help without pushing them further in to addiction.

I'd love to hear the thoughts, opinions and ideas from others. Is there a way to help our city by changing the status quo of this two block area?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Kirschner Road & the bottle depot

Post by TylerM4 »

Quickly becoming one of the worst areas of Kelowna.

Part of this problem comes from the "Red Zone" area downtown. So they move to Kirschner or Capri area.

I don't donate to homeless people in any way for this reason. If you want to donate, donate directly to shelters and places like Gospel Mission - much better for everyone involved.
TJ05
Fledgling

Post by TJ05 »

Jsquared wrote:I work in a building on Kirschner Road. There has been an increasing number of "street people" setting up their shopping carts in the morning and hanging out within a block of the bottle depot. I've seen people driving very expensive cars stopping and giving their empty bottles to them.

By afternoon, it's obvious how the bottle refund money has been spent. I've seen drug buys in progress, people who are in the process of cooking up their fix, some who have completely passed out and are at times stretched out onto the sidewalk, and many others sleeping in the shade or protection of shrubs or trees.

Very infrequently I see a police presence and for a while the numbers diminish. Before long, however, the crowd once again increases. This morning I used the bottle depot, and I was shocked at the number of street people and shopping carts today. Every pole was occupied. Saturday obviously is a prime day for obtaining some cash. I also saw several vehicles stopping to donate their empties.

I know there are charities who use bottle drives to fund programs for our community. Surely they could use volunteers to receive empties on a Saturday morning at their facilities. It bothers me that what I believe people think is helping this portion of our society is in fact enabling them to purchase their drugs. A donation of food, water or clean clothing items could help without pushing them further in to addiction.

I'd love to hear the thoughts, opinions and ideas from others. Is there a way to help our city by changing the status quo of this two block area?

I personally don't see the problem, they are not bothering you directly. If you are seeing open use of drugs and drug deals why don't you report it? Have you given them a donation of food, water or clean clothing items ? I was just down there and I did see maybe three with shopping carts, I don't support the gospel mission because they screwed a friend of mine at their thrift store saying something was gold, when in fact was junk jewelry and then lied and refused a refund. All charities are not honest so as these people see it they rather give directly.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Where can one donate bottles, we used to take them to the SPCA but not sure if they still take them.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bubalouie wrote:Where can one donate bottles, we used to take them to the SPCA but not sure if they still take them.

At one time I believe Boys and Girls club would have a bottle drive, not really sure if they still do that.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Bubalouie wrote:Where can one donate bottles, we used to take them to the SPCA but not sure if they still take them.

You can also donate them at the bottle depot for I believe Pathways, which is an organization for people with disabilities.
hail Satan y'all
spooker

Post by spooker »

I'd like to see all the schools accept donations all year long ... now that I think about I'm going to pitch it at the next PAC meeting ... the Courtyard on Ellis had a barrel in the parking garage that was for donations to the local Boy Scout troop and they'd come and collect the contents each week ...
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

That drop off at the bottle depot is not always open or set up
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

cadets will take them :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

I think the spca still takes bottles.
One phone call to them and you'll know for sure.
workingclasshero
Fledgling

Post by workingclasshero »

I find the process at the bottle depot too difficult and time consuming.
at other provinces you take all your stuff in one bag and they sort it and count it and pay you.
I stopped going to the bottle depot and now put my Al cans in the blue bin and my glass in the garbage.
if it was easier to use the bottle depot people wouldn't be giving their bottles away to the people on the street.
BC has a poor system for people with a life.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

agree 100 %
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

^^ I know right! It is sooo much work to separate them yourself. And sometimes, your hands can get a little dirty. Don't even get me started on having to remove bottlecaps.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

workingclasshero wrote:I find the process at the bottle depot too difficult and time consuming.
at other provinces you take all your stuff in one bag and they sort it and count it and pay you.
I stopped going to the bottle depot and now put my Al cans in the blue bin and my glass in the garbage.
if it was easier to use the bottle depot people wouldn't be giving their bottles away to the people on the street.
BC has a poor system for people with a life.

Even if you don't want to do your own bottles (please atleast try and donate them), you can at least go to the bottle depot and recycle your glass. All you have to do is dump them in a bin. Don't be so lazy.
hail Satan y'all
Green-light
Fledgling

Post by Green-light »

I'm a judgemental prong.
I judge them by appearance, speech and body language.
The same as we all do to each other.
If I can see that they are not totally messed up on some version of crank, then I hand over the bags.

Each person along that stretch of road represents someone that grew up a whole crap-pile worse of than you, or you.
Each one of them has been imprisoned in a mind and body I'd never choose by choice, and neither did they.
Each one of them deserves to interact with those of us that still care, and still connect.

It's easy to drive by and speak down to or about those less fortunate.
It's MUCH harder to actually stop your car, get out with a hand outreached in support and engage with them as a human that you can respect.
I choose to take the harder trail in this case, and often find myself talking up a storm with someone I'd never have expected to have so much in common with.
I'd rather donate my bottles and cans than feed any sort of corporate bin. At least I'm helping a fellow human to exist, rather than keeping the entitled entities alive and kicking and kicking.

Next time you see someone hauling bag after bag after bag of beer cans and boxes upon boxes of wine, rum and gin bottles say hi. That'll be me making my weekly donation.

Drinking is a big part of my philanthropy strategy. :130:

Return to “Social Concerns”