Being "real" again...

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
dle
Lord of the Board

Being "real" again...

Post by dle »

I LOVE this letter to Castanet from Brittany:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#207249

She is getting "real" again and I wish her all the best! Hitting the nail on the head with going back to "face to face" time, instead of "face time" is a big step but oh so rewarding and healthy - socially and mentally!

I do have a cell phone but just recently got texting enabled. I was dragged kicking and screaming into the techie cell world to begin with - I only got a smart phone 2 years ago because my flip phone broke! There are very few people who know I have text now and it's staying that way. I never signed up for Facebook - not because I thought it wasn't a fun idea, I just spend too much time on a device working and didn't want to have to spend more time on one doing my socializing - just didn't have time - and I'm so happy I didn't. Not that I don't think it's fun to see the pictures or see what everyone is up to - it was just one more thing I'd have to check every day and I have enough trouble keeping up with emails. As Facebook got more popular I also heard things I didn't like about it - like young kids "unfriending" each other or whatever the term is, and people posting really nasty stuff and I thought it might have its good points but it has a dark side too that can be hurtful. Not that life in person is always a bed of roses either but I think being unfriended over Facebook would really bite. If you don't want to be someone's friend anymore, have the guts to tell them privately face to face and why - give them a chance to earn your friendship again.

I received a letter from a friend not long ago - yes, on paper, in an envelope, in the mailbox hiding among the pizza flyers & donation solicitation letters I have to tell you it made my day - I was as excited to sit down and open it to read it as a kid on Christmas morning! It gave me an idea - I went to the store and bought some fun stationery and dropped a few notes off to friends myself to surprise them - and got phone calls thanking me, and the phone calls made me happy! What used to be the standard form of communication is now almost a dream come true when it happens and puts a smile on someone's face!

Anyways, I applaud Brittany for her big step and I'm going to do more "people friendly" stuff myself - like surprising people with real mail, and phoning to speak to them instead of texting, and turning off the phone when I'm with a friend doing something fun and talking to them "face to face"!
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Being "real" again...

Post by TreeGuy »

I enjoyed her letter and your post.

While I was in the hospital for 7 weeks recently I learned something about Facebook, if you don’t feed into it you get nothing from it. I wasn’t posting on FB because being in a hospital I didn’t have much I wanted to post. This lead me to shutting down my FB and deciding to be more present in my real life.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

5-1 odds she tweeted this and put it on Facebook
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Veovis wrote:5-1 odds she tweeted this and put it on Facebook

100% odds that everyone that posts in support of this is posting on social media.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Good for her.

Social media and Internet is a complete waste of time.
Green-light
Fledgling

Post by Green-light »

Even Steven wrote:Good for her.

Social media and Internet is a complete waste of time.

...and plays directly into the objective.

dadummindown
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Internet is a complete waste of time?

Well there goes my employment.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump

Return to “Social Concerns”