Should it be a crime?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Should it be a crime?

Post by Silverstarqueen »

We all know that technically it is still a crime, but given the new laws hanging in the wings of parliament, should it be a crime to grow pot? (It's not a crime to produce a keg of beer, wine or cider in your home) The only crime I can see, is that law abiding folks can't compete in the free market, and some people are taking advantage of that. Skip the arguments about how the laws are there to reduce growing or usage of pot, because it's clear by now that no laws will prevent that.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... or-starter
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Should it be a crime?

Post by Queen K »

I am now full circle on the pot growing and laws. Used to think it was a great thing that growers were shut down.

Now I think only certain growers are shut down. Independents. There's a racket going on to allow one gang grow and shut down competition. The independent guy hasn't got a chance if he's not paying someone under the table.

Those are the shut downs.

And now that pot is being used to add to oil to pain medications, and Dr.s can prescribe pain meds with cannabis, I believe it e even more.

Should not be illegal to grow. It's easy to grow. And the pain relief benefits outweigh opioids. There is not drug od crisis from cannabis derivitives, just poppy derivitives and their synthetics.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Growing a plant should not be a crime.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Law makers are going to allow people to grow half a dozen plants for medical purposes prescribed by a doctor, but have a feeling growing for recreation use will remain illegal. Not sure if it's the lost tax revenue or in Ontario's case, loss of monopoly, because otherwise it doesn't make much sense.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Poindexter wrote:Law makers are going to allow people to grow half a dozen plants for medical purposes prescribed by a doctor, but have a feeling growing for recreation use will remain illegal. Not sure if it's the lost tax revenue or in Ontario's case, loss of monopoly, because otherwise it doesn't make much sense.

In the statement the government released earlier this year they said they would like a limit of 4 plants allowed to be grown for recreational use. It should be no limit but this would be acceptable
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

JLives wrote:Growing a plant should not be a crime.

And that’s the truth. If what you are doing is not harming yourself or anyone else, then it is nobody else’s business – and certainly not the business of government. We need to quit wasting tax money spent on destroying people's lives.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

JLives wrote:Growing a plant should not be a crime.

Ka-El wrote:And that’s the truth. If what you are doing is not harming yourself or anyone else, then it is nobody else’s business – and certainly not the business of government. We need to quit wasting tax money spent on destroying people's lives.

While I agree with the spirit of your post, and i don't believe pot is harming people in general, the same argument won't wash for many other products (like opiods), because it is difficult to prove "harm" when someone is in the intial stages of use, yet they are heading (in the case of addictive drugs) straight toward great harm. Do we have to wait till a bunch of people are dying or destroyed by a drug before we can say that drug causes harm? IN the case of pot, what percentage of people do we have to prove are not harmed, before we can say it is "harmless". There are already studies to show it "might" harm people who already have a pre-existing tendency toward mental illness, if they do enough of it. We know it probably doesn't harm the vast majority, but until that's "proven" scientifically, we can't claim it's harmless.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As a teenager early 20s I tried both alcohol & pot, never got into either (yes, I despise the smell of pot).
As mentioned by OP anyone can make wine, beer or everclear so why not grow pot. Of course unless you get proper licensing you can't sell that wine, beer or everclear same rule for pot should be in place.

Personal use should be aloud, only rule/law I want enforced strongly is being behind wheel either drinking or high.... as close to zero tolerance as possible.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Now that I am a legal drug dealer, ( bought shares in canopy growth a month or so ago) I say ban all recreational sales until my shares go up enough and i retire.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

GordonH wrote:anyone can make ... everclear

Actually.... you legally cannot. Everclear is a spirit. Producing spirits, in Canada, requires a license under the Excise Act. The same goes for the possession of a still, which is required to produce spirits.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:anyone can make ... everclear

36Drew wrote:Actually.... you legally cannot. Everclear is a spirit. Producing spirits, in Canada, requires a license under the Excise Act. The same goes for the possession of a still, which is required to produce spirits.

Since those who know how to use a pressure cooker can also make everclear from bad (or good) home made wine.... or beer. It's just process of removing the alcohol from either wine or beer, then you have pure alcohol hence everclear.
Please tell me how is that illegal for personal use, not selling of course. No different then growing ones own pot for personal use.

Added: I've known many old timers who have made this for generations, no one from any government agencies have ever gone after them.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

GordonH wrote:Since those who know how to use a pressure cooker can also make everclear from bad (or good) home made wine.... or beer. It's just process of removing the alcohol from either wine or beer, then you have pure alcohol hence everclear.

Since when does ease-of-use have anything to do with legality? It's easy to grow cannabis yet it's currently not legal. I didn't say that making a still or using it at home was hard. I said it's not legal. How, exactly, is it not legal? The governing legislation is the Excise Act. I already told you that. Section 60 (production of spirits) and 61 (possession of a still). Did you even take 30 seconds to locate the excise act and read the two paragraphs? Of course not...

GordonH wrote:Please tell me how is that illegal for personal use, not selling of course. No different then growing ones own pot for personal use.

Added: I've known many old timers who have made this for generations, no one from any government agencies have ever gone after them.

You need it spoon-fed to you? The act is here. Go read it for yourself. That's about as much hand-holding as you're gonna get.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Current growing pot is also illegal (it's an illegal drug, no different then making everclear), but I see pot shops selling it & not just for medical use.
Why are those shops not shut down the moment they are opened, who is issuing business licenses to them.
Many more down in your part of BC 36Drew.... right back atacha

Added later: I have never heard of anyone arrested & charged for making everclear.

Return to “Social Concerns”