47957
46202

Most People aren't straight

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby StraitTalk » Sep 29th, 2017, 4:00 pm

Glacier wrote:With a name like "StraitTalk" I could see why this topic interests you... oops, wrong straight. Anyway, yes, serious as far as I can tell. My daughter whose 12 says most of the girls in her grade are bi, but you know how perception is. I mean, sometimes it felt like most people smoked when I was a teenager even though the reality might not have been that high.


The reason I ask is because your link does not point to a scientific or reputable source. Neither does the link it provides. The study mentioned isn't provided and my brief search didn't turn one up either, and what I'm getting at is this whole discussion is based off a false premise, that there is scientific evidence to support your claim. Anecdotal evidence is irrelevant and serves only to support your bias.
User avatar
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3547
Likes: 66 posts
Liked in: 266 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby Glacier » Sep 30th, 2017, 9:50 am

What are talking about? Some university professor said X. I said X is believable because my daughter has also said X. Nowhere did anyone say X is an established fact! We are discussing opinions here, and whether or not they are likely to be true.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25555
Likes: 2279 posts
Liked in: 7686 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby the truth » Oct 1st, 2017, 2:31 pm

Ka-El wrote:
Glacier wrote: It seems to me that being gay is much more common among women than men ...

If I was a woman I'd be a lesbian. :smt045

your a man :200: fooled me
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12477
Likes: 7333 posts
Liked in: 4295 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby techrtr » Oct 2nd, 2017, 7:46 am

Queen K wrote:Really, most say that they're bi? I see every single tv series that is newly produced HAS to have a gay story-line. Every single one of them, from Bomb Girls to the new Riverdale. Orange is the New Black has open lesbianism in the first episode. Shades of Blue, yup. It goes on and on, gay is the new "thing" to write in, I almost think it's mandatory.

When I was growing up we saw Klinger constantly trying to prove he's crazy by dressing transgender, something NO ONE ever got offended by and he wasn't fooling anyone.

But that's about it.

If the Brady Bunch was made to day, two of the six kids would have a gay/bi story line to act out.

Do kids in school today identify a bi by what they see on tv? Are they influenced?

I would guess "yes."


Absolutely right. The number of commercials on tv - from McDonalds to Ikea, with gay couples in them alone would give the impression that half of humans are gay. I doubt that very, very much. As far as 12 year olds saying that "most of their friends are bi or gay" - I would say that being gay is trendy or hip these days and kids want to hip and trendy. I think most will grow out of it pretty quick when they develop a little emotional maturity.

2 people like this post.
techrtr
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 751
Likes: 55 posts
Liked in: 646 posts
Joined: Jul 5th, 2005, 6:47 am

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby the truth » Oct 2nd, 2017, 7:54 am

agree 100%
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12477
Likes: 7333 posts
Liked in: 4295 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 8:24 pm
Location: kelowna

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby StraitTalk » Oct 3rd, 2017, 9:47 pm

This is quite possibly one of the most perplexing threads I've ever seen on these forums.
User avatar
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3547
Likes: 66 posts
Liked in: 266 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby Glacier » Oct 4th, 2017, 9:35 am

StraitTalk wrote:This is quite possibly one of the most perplexing threads I've ever seen on these forums.

This is probably the most homophobic statement I've ever read on Castanet. To question the LGBTQQIP2SAA in any way is extremely homophobic and anti-scientific denier land bigoted hateful racist propaganda. Please stop now before you go to jail for using the wrong gender pronoun.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 25555
Likes: 2279 posts
Liked in: 7686 posts
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:41 pm

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby Thinktank » Oct 4th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Re: Most People aren't straight

I'm thinking there's even less than 1% gay people. Maybe .5%.

I'm thinking that scientist used fraudulent results.
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
 
Posts: 5834
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 455 posts
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 5:21 am

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby jasond_71 » Oct 5th, 2017, 5:14 am

It is not just TV shows that make it trendy, it's talked about on the news, by politicians and in schools all the time.
A 12-14 year old girl might say they are gay or transgender and then the next year have a boyfriend.
I also think girls are way less persecuted for being gay than boys at school. Ask a 12 year old boy how many of his friends are gay, you won't get the same answer.
The media always uses 10% bit I would say it's lower than that.
jasond_71
Fledgling
 
Posts: 235
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 152 posts
Joined: Aug 25th, 2006, 8:22 pm

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby Thinktank » Oct 5th, 2017, 6:14 am

It's not true. The scientist is a fraud. 100% fraud. No one goes around thinking they are partly gay.
Not even twelve year old girls.

I would go my whole life without even thinking of one gay joke. But with TV, all of a sudden you say a gay joke.
With TV, humans can be convinced to do almost anything. Remember the show where people ate worms
and other disgusting things? The worst thing about TV, is the affect it has on young people. It's bad. The twelve
year old girl might "think" about being gay, because of TV. Because she's a kid. Not very smart, yet. But the study
that says more than .5% of people 'might' be 'partly' gay - IS A TOTAL FRAUD. Scientists do that all the time. They lie.

No one is partly gay. Except in Hollywood, where everyone talks about it all the time. The people who control
Hollywood are demented, in my opinion.
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
 
Posts: 5834
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 455 posts
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 5:21 am

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby Mad dab » Oct 10th, 2017, 2:54 am

You could probably chalk this up to the fact that we are judging based on the experimental phase, of sexuality, and the idolization of this in that age group, as well as the acceptance of people who are actually gay and transgender. I'm thinking there is more in the first category.
I wish I was gay. I had three great opportunities to have amazing relationships with unbelievably attractive, loyal, kind, and intelligent women. I got nothing but liars and cheaters from the male team.
Sex with the same gender is just sex. Bisexuals are explorers.
You are either born gay or straight, it's not a trend, but many will pretend it is.

Homeownertoo likes this post.
Mad dab
 
Posts: 5
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 1 post
Joined: Sep 30th, 2017, 4:37 pm

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby davis123 » Oct 10th, 2017, 12:22 pm

I've had this discussion with my daughter's over the years, it seems more and more girls are stating they are BI. I think there are a few reasons why there is this increasing number of bi females. 1. It's trendy and hip to be gay/bi/trans - it's all over the news, everyone must accept it, they're unique and special 2. The females are trying to gain male attention - ask 10 guys what their sexual fantasy is, and I bet 9 of those answers will be to have sex with more than one woman at the same time. So this 'bi' label makes them more attractive to the opposite sex. Then those same girls typically post their skank pictures on facebook/instagram of them humping some other girls leg to get the point across just 'how damn sexy and bi they really are'. Personally, I think 99% of them are liars just trying to get attention or they are too young to even know what the heck they are talking about.

You blast society with porn non-stop and display woman as nothing but sex objects for multiple decades and this is what it comes to.

2 people like this post.
davis123
Board Meister
 
Posts: 605
Likes: 1711 posts
Liked in: 520 posts
Joined: Dec 19th, 2005, 7:17 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby Homeownertoo » Oct 25th, 2017, 10:09 am

I guess the rubber hits the road when girls who identify as bi face the opportunity to have gay relationships. Will they embrace them as easily as they apparently suggest they would?

We have been conditioned to think people are born gay or straight, and there seems to be some evidence pointing to that. But I don't rule out the possibility that gay identity can, to some extent, be developed, 'learned' or enhanced through early (mid-to-late teens, say) exposure to gay intimacy, and that a social climate that encourages such intimacy at a young age will lead to more people embracing gay relationships who may never have been interested in doing so in the past.

Anyway, we know more people today openly identify as gay or bisexual. And definitely more people are involved in gay relationships, and I suspect we will see some revision upward of what proportion of the population that is deemed gay. Whether or not that change represents people who, in the past, would have repressed their homosexuality or not, I don't think anyone really knows.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
User avatar
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3884
Likes: 68 posts
Liked in: 39 posts
Joined: Nov 10th, 2008, 1:50 pm

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby Thinktank » Oct 25th, 2017, 10:28 am

Homeownertoo wrote:... gay identity can, to some extent, be developed, 'learned' or enhanced .....


see that? Everyone see that?

Wow. These forums can really get interesting at times.


:up:

...
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
 
Posts: 5834
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 455 posts
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 5:21 am

Re: Most People aren't straight

Postby summerlandab » Oct 28th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Most 12 year olds would say they are anything that is in the headlines because that's how 12 year olds are. It gets attention when they say something that shocks those listening. Check on them in ten years and see if they still make the same declaration.
summerlandab
 
Posts: 8
Likes: 3 posts
Liked in: 7 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2011, 8:32 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests