Media Sensationalizing Videos & Photo's

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
my5cents
Guru

Media Sensationalizing Videos & Photo's

Post by my5cents »

Getting pretty fed up with misleading media. Ya, I know "fake news".

In the recent past all we've heard about is accusations of "Fake News". I didn't really agree that the media was really trying to mislead the public,,, BUT.

Today on CNN the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Paul Ryan mentioned that the media should try to present current video of the situations in disaster areas, because it becomes misleading.

I actually felt he was pretty easy of the media.

CNN was ranting and raving that emergency help wasn't getting to the folks in need in Puerto Rico. Ryan was countering that the video's being shown were old and in fact the folks have been getting aide.

All the while we, the viewer were seeing the same truck pull the same cargo container off a barge, hour in hour out.

It got me thinking, doesn't that support exactly what the US Republicans have been saying, that the public is hearing and seeing "fake news".

Perhaps each piece of video should have an electronic date and time stamp on images, keeping the viewer advised of the actual date and time the video or photo was taken. It would confirm the video was timely or that it wasn't and had passed it's "best before date".

Locally, I know I'm sick and tired of seeing the same water bomber or bucket helicopter dumping on the same fire for month on end.

Yes, I know we live in a visual era where every story must be accompanied by, in the least a photo of something related to the story, preferably video with sound. But running old video of an unrelated matter,,, really ?

While I'm at it, I'm also sick and tired of media like Castanet, when the obviously don't have anything visual to show, to look up a "'Street View Image" from Google Maps.

So we have a story of how a car slide off the roadway on such and such Highway 2 miles from so and so town in a heavy snow storm on Christmas day. We see a Street View Image of that highway approximately at the location, on a sunny day in July, 2 years previous.

Also the file shot of an ambulance or a police car. Come on if you don't have a related photo, don't use something unrelated.

That was really illustrated last week when there was a story of how something happened in the city of Vancouver and someone did something and Castanet included a color photo of an RCMP patrol car. The City of Vancouver don't have RCMP !

I don't know how many times Castanet has included a color file photo of an American police officer (or actor) administering a sobriety test to an impaired driver (or an actor) to illustrate a story about BC Impaired driving. Duh.

I really think time stamps on photo's and videos would really inform.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Media Sensationalizing Videos & Photo's

Post by Catsumi »

I couldn't agree with you more.

Recycled crappola and more to come.

:135:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I don't think you can fake the fact that the Mayor of San Juan was on a satellite phone given to her by the mayor of New York and she was saying the aid is not getting out, who you going to believe, her or speaker Ryan? The film footage is old footage because it is the only stuff that that has made it out so far, it is not as those they have a satellite truck driving around the island
recording daily, the roads are impassable. What you see is just in the cities, imagine areas that have not yet been connected to the outside.
Waste not
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Grandan wrote:I don't think you can fake the fact that the Mayor of San Juan was on a satellite phone given to her by the mayor of New York and she was saying the aid is not getting out, who you going to believe, her or speaker Ryan? The film footage is old footage because it is the only stuff that that has made it out so far, it is not as those they have a satellite truck driving around the island
recording daily, the roads are impassable. What you see is just in the cities, imagine areas that have not yet been connected to the outside.

It’s tough to decern the truth.

The delays give an out to the likes of Ryan. Perhaps time stamping would show the media isn’t as old as claimed.

Trump has much bigger problems to address than Perto Rico, he’s got to get the NFL standing for the US anthem. As we know he’s always been very concerned about the military, well except for the trans service people and the dreamers who are serving.

But I guess that comes from all the years he served with such distinction.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

We all need to call out fake news more. Here. In social media, and mass media.It's very easy to do but far too many people are too happy hearing their own opinions regurgitated back to them, no matter how ridiculous.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

They could have shown the ICU and dialysis dependent patients that died in Puerto Rico due to the power being out. But that might have been a little too graphic for most people's taste. They did show the mayor saying "people are dying", I should think that's good enough to convince U.S politicians that they should get off their duffs and get more aide into Puerto rico.
The FAke news, was Trumps claim that everything was going wonderfully on the ground. When he visits tomorrow, will they show him the best parts of the island, and then he can claim it's all going fantastically, or will they show him the people without food and water, sewage, for the last week?

Return to “Social Concerns”