Breastfeeding to fight stigma

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
sillykitty

Re: Breastfeeding to fight stigma

Post by sillykitty »

Fancy wrote:
sillykitty wrote:Established by whom? Those who hold Victorian prudishness a virtue? Religious moralists? council of elders?

lol - c'mon. Every restaurant has a restroom - restrooms have already been established in public places. That's not what breastfeeding is all about. Get with the topic please.

You would think breastfeeding in public wouldn't be such an issue in society, and yet we have 45 posts about the topic.I'll quote a sign I once seen at a diner.
I quote:" Your breasts are your private property, this restaurant is our private property. If you feel the need to expose your breasts for whatever reason, do so in private, otherwise get off our property."

I await the ruffling of feathers and angry clucking [icon_lol2.gif]
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Whatever - this is about breastfeeding and just posting what you did shows there needs to be more media attention.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Fancy wrote:Whatever - this is about breastfeeding and just posting what you did shows there needs to be more media attention.

Actually I think just the opposite. There needs to be less "attention". For some more understanding, but like anything else there are to many in it for attention than progressive attitudes and that just means it you don't celebrate the gal waving it around hoping to be the next Kardashian you must have a terrible attitude.

I have seen many people breastfeed in many places, it doesn't need to be an event, nor something to garner attention, it's about feeding a kid, nothing else. There has been enough stories where some old codger of a man complains and they ask him to leave (and rightly so) but so should a place have to right to ask the loud mouthed gal who cares little for the child and more for her tweets after the fact to get out as well.

Keep it simple. Feed your kid, and all people involved can *bleep*.....we know the kid will....they're eating.....and know it's rude to talk with your mouth full.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

sillykitty wrote:[I'll quote a sign I once seen at a diner.
I quote:" Your breasts are your private property, this restaurant is our private property. If you feel the need to expose your breasts for whatever reason, do so in private, otherwise get off our property."

It's perfectly possible to breastfeed a baby in public without "exposing" your breasts. I fed my baby in all kinds of public places, and doubt anyone ever saw either of my nipples. If the mother wears clothes that make her breasts easily accessible for the baby, yet also easy to cover her body (such as an blouse that buttons up the front, or a poncho, or a cape) and then places a receiving blanket (if necessary) over her shoulder in such a way as to hide anything that shows, there is absolutely no way anyone should feel uncomfortable, or offended.

If, on the other hand, the mother is deliberately allowing her body to be publicly exposed then I understand the concerns of some (even if I don't entirely agree).

But regardless, there is absolutely no way I would advocate a mother taking her baby to a public bathroom to feed her baby. First, because there is nowhere to sit other than on the toilet. And second, because most public bathrooms are dirty, smelly places that aren't suitable for sitting and feeding a baby in.

If a restaurant didn't want me to feed my baby at the table, they'd need to provide me with a special room that is both clean and private. And I doubt that's possible in most restaurants. So, if they refused to allow me to feed my baby at the table, I'd eat elsewhere. But I'd also lodge a complaint with the human rights commission, because it is wrong to deny a woman the right to feed her baby in public.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
LolaB

Post by LolaB »

Some of you can't read or comprehend ... I am absolutely and totally for breastfeeding in public, but PLEASE cover up! I do not care to see anyone's private parts - is it too much to ask to throw a cotton cloth over the boob?
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

LolaB wrote:Yes, do breastfeed in public but NO do not expose your breasts to the others....Have self respect and decency. People in Europe do it publicly but you won't see any flesh unless you are at the nude beach :)

I find this hilarious that it is okay to bare your breasts on a beach but not okay to feed your child.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped

Here we go again, what the hell is wrong with people. This is perfectly natural thing, oh no a breast.
https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/K ... -local-gym
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Thebrewhouse »

GordonH wrote:Bumped

Here we go again, what the hell is wrong with people. This is perfectly natural thing, oh no a breast.

Just because this gym has asked a mom to stop breastfeeding. I am boycotting Pilates and Yoga and really any other extreme indoor physical activity for the rest of my life.
#NoMilkNoYoga
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

At least they realized their mistake - and this won't be the last time this happens.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 12th, 2020, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Thebrewhouse
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Thebrewhouse »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Sep 12th, 2020, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Some people are so damn childish.

Thank you Catsumi
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

So is defecating or urinating a natural thing to do.
But every so often a young mother is shocked to find out that female breasts are sometimes viewed sexually. :200: Well definitly not all, but more than enough.

As one commenter above said,
...I am absolutely and totally for breastfeeding in public, but PLEASE cover up! I do not care to see anyone's private parts - is it too much to ask to throw a cotton cloth over the boob?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

bb49 wrote:So is defecating or urinating a natural thing to do. (comparing these 2 bodily functions to feeding a baby, really)
But every so often a young mother is shocked to find out that female breasts are sometimes viewed sexually. :200: Well definitly not all, but more than enough.

As one commenter above said,
...I am absolutely and totally for breastfeeding in public, but PLEASE cover up! I do not care to see anyone's private parts - is it too much to ask to throw a cotton cloth over the boob?

Every once and a while north americas religious past shows though, many parts of world breasts isn’t a big deal.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

bb49 wrote:So is defecating or urinating a natural thing to do.

Why compare eliminating body wastes which isn't healthy to do so in any shopping mall to feeding an infant?

Return to “Social Concerns”