Millennials taught how to use tape measure and hammer

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Millennials taught how to use tape measure and hammer

Post by averagejoe »

Had to see this coming....

Home Depot Panics Over Millennials; Forced To Host Tutorials On Using Tape Measures, Hammering Nails

As wall street analysts celebrate the coming of age of the millennial generation, a group of young people who were supposed to lead another revolutionary wave of consumerism if only they could work long enough to escape their parents' basement, retailers like Home Depot are panicked about selling into what will soon be America's largest demographic...but not for the reasons you might think.

While avocado resellers like Whole Foods only have to worry about creating a catchy advertising campaign to attract millennials, Home Depot is in full-on panic mode after realizing that an entire generation of Americans have absolutely no clue how to use their products. As the Wall Street Journal points out, the company has been forced to spend millions to create video tutorials and host in-store classes on how to do everything from using a tape measure to mopping a floor and hammering a nail.

Home Depot's VP of marketing admits she was originally hesitant because she thought some of their videos might be a bit too "condescending" but she quickly learned they were very necessary for our pampered millennials.

In June the company introduced a series of online workshops, including videos on how to use a tape measure and how to hide cords, that were so basic some executives worried they were condescending. “You have to start somewhere,” Mr. Decker says.

Lisa DeStefano, Home Depot vice president of marketing, initially hesitated looking over the list of proposed video lessons, chosen based on high-frequency online search queries. “Were we selling people short? Were these just too obvious?” she says she asked her team. On the tape-measure tutorial, “I said ‘come on, how many things can you say about it?’ ” Ms. DeStefano says.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-1 ... ures-hamme
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Millennials taught how to use tape measure and hammer

Post by jimmy4321 »

As a guy who won't make that call till i know i'm screwed, i'm a bit jealous at times at people who are fine with calling a pro without hesitation.

As far as tools go, if you never needed them it don't matter if your 15 or 50 no info is too basic i guess. Millennial or not
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

This is what is coming out of our school system? Thats scary!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

A lot of millennials feel the same way about older generation. Fricken scary that they cannot do basic things when using a computer or smartphone.

These are the common tools of the future. Soon it'll be more important to know how to use a computer than it will be to know how to drive a car. We've come to a point where knowing how to use a smartphone is more useful than knowing how to use a hammer or a tape measure. Millennials are better equipped for modern society than many of you.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

TylerM4 wrote:We've come to a point where knowing how to use a smartphone is more useful than knowing how to use a hammer or a tape measure. Millennials are better equipped for modern society than many of you.

There are just too many things that require manual skills. If you can't measure properly then how will you build those smart phones and computers. Nothing will fit together properly. Basic skills are a necessity in any society.

You might be surprised at how many of us old codgers can measure as well as use a smartphone/computer.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Using a hammer and nails, measuring tape, using power tools, and using common sense to solve ordinary household problems are things PARENTS need to teach their kids at home!!

My daughter runs power saws, electric drills, understands and DOES basic electrical wiring, knows what and when to check her vehicle over - besides being able to run production kitchens!! Most of this was learned at home; the latter was learned through trades training.
Chill
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

flamingfingers wrote:Using a hammer and nails, measuring tape, using power tools, and using common sense to solve ordinary household problems are things PARENTS need to teach their kids at home!!

My daughter runs power saws, electric drills, understands and DOES basic electrical wiring, knows what and when to check her vehicle over - besides being able to run production kitchens!! Most of this was learned at home; the latter was learned through trades training.

Exactly, totally agree
I expect there is whole segment of videos on Youtube likely called How to ___________?

Growing up on a farm we were taught how to repair most everything because down time was costly.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

For most household and automotive repairs, if I don't know how to do it, I do use the youtube "how to" searches and generally find step by step instructions with great visuals. I have little interest in paying a garage to do some car repairs when I can do them just as fast and for free, or just for the price of parts.

My fear is that there will be enough people, like me, who stop using car repair places which will drive those places out of business or require them to charge even more. When the car does need to go into the shop, how much will it cost me?
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

TylerM4 wrote:A lot of millennials feel the same way about older generation. Fricken scary that they cannot do basic things when using a computer or smartphone.

These are the common tools of the future. Soon it'll be more important to know how to use a computer than it will be to know how to drive a car. We've come to a point where knowing how to use a smartphone is more useful than knowing how to use a hammer or a tape measure. Millennials are better equipped for modern society than many of you.

I just spent 10 days with an individual, a parent of 2 boys who cannot stay off his phone. As a consequence nothing gets done but endless Facebook posts. Could not be bothered to change a washer in a leaky faucet and so thousands of gallons of water were wasted down the drain. A conversation is typically preempted by the phone and so no communication happens one to one.
You cannot change a light bulb with a smartphone! There is no app for basic home maintenance.
I see mothers and fathers out for a walk with their kids but they are on the phone the whole time, they sit on park benches on their phones while their kids are bored out of their skulls through lack of parental involvement. To keep them quiet they put a plug in their mouth, a soother.
I do not own a smartphone and see no need for one if you have a computer which is all that I use. I made a living using the computer and I am over 65. We have had computers at home since 1989 or nearly 30 years.
For any person who is in business a smart phone is essential, I get it but when I hear people on the phone walking around a store or on the street the conversations are generally lame.
Waste not
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Grandan wrote: I made a living using the computer and I am over 65. We have had computers at home since 1989 or nearly 30 years.

Same here. I have built them from scratch, repaired them and sold them...and I know how to use all the basic tools and then some.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

TylerM4 wrote:A lot of millennials feel the same way about older generation. Fricken scary that they cannot do basic things when using a computer or smartphone.

I disagree that "a lot of millennials feel the same way about older generation" as we've started the workforce seeing computers enter it as well as having smartphones ourselves. The elderly have no need for smartphones and the ones I know do quite well on a computer. Computers are tools of the present, not just the future and cars are also a tool - both need to be used to get around in life one way or the other or one must rely on others. I personally don't need to use a smartphone but I do use a hammer and tape measure frequently and watching the older generation teach millennials how to do basic repairs can be quite entertaining.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

youjustcomplain wrote:For most household and automotive repairs, if I don't know how to do it, I do use the youtube "how to" searches and generally find step by step instructions with great visuals. I have little interest in paying a garage to do some car repairs when I can do them just as fast and for free, or just for the price of parts.

My fear is that there will be enough people, like me, who stop using car repair places which will drive those places out of business or require them to charge even more. When the car does need to go into the shop, how much will it cost me?

Don't worry about that. People have forgot brakes pads, put them in backwards, failed to remove ball joints. I would worry more about running out of Fuel, then all repairs being done at home. Sometimes the tools needed outstrips the cost of having it done at a shop.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Bleach wrote:
youjustcomplain wrote:For most household and automotive repairs, if I don't know how to do it, I do use the youtube "how to" searches and generally find step by step instructions with great visuals. I have little interest in paying a garage to do some car repairs when I can do them just as fast and for free, or just for the price of parts.

Bleach wrote:Don't worry about that. People have forgot brakes pads, put them in backwards, failed to remove ball joints. I would worry more about running out of Fuel, then all repairs being done at home. Sometimes the tools needed outstrips the cost of having it done at a shop.

For jobs that will require a tool such as a filter wrench to remove an oil filter or the socket to remove the oil pan plug, the tools needed can be had so cheaply they pay for themselves in one job.
I was once charged $225 for an oil change and "inspection" on a vehicle that I bought new and had 10,000 km on it (at the dealer). I never went back and have done all my maintenance including all fluids changed on that vehicle since. I have owned the vehicle for 11 years and never had a problem with it and it has gone to the dealer for only 3 warranty items only and a AC recharge.
The most expensive things are the various fluids themselves and paying attention to the required change intervals.
Anyone who gets brake pads in wrong are simply not paying attention.
Waste not
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Indeed there are a large number of how to videos on YouTube that discuss basic skills or skills that are less common in today’s society.

One channel I quite like is Cody’s Lab, where the millennial presenter has refurbished and blasted out his own mine, mines and extracted minerals, refined and processed rare metals. Has series on beekeeping, farming, building and repairing equipment.

Or “Primitive Technology” where the millennial presenter has set out to construct tools from scratch, starting with stone flints and working up to refining metals to create tools, to then farm and self produce all the materials necessary to create a sandwich. Or prescription glasses.

I see this common trend bashing millenials for not knowing things, but generally on the whole, millenials are a lot better educated in the information they need to be successful in modern society, and are quite capable of finding the information they need to acquire new skills when necessary.

In terms of people not knowing things, there are no fewer ignorant millenials than there are ignorant members of any generation. It’s just easier now for people to find examples online of an individual’s stupidity to use it to bash their entire generation.

I’ve worked with individuals of all ages, and I can assure you there are many boomers who have never once touched a measuring tape or a hammer.

I work in education in the medical field. Those who generalize individuals based on their age only show their own ignorance in doing so.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

For every millennial who never had to hammer anything, there's a grandpa who doesn't know how to check email.

Big deal.

Return to “Social Concerns”