The rise of not enough skilled labour

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

The rise of not enough skilled labour

Post by Queen K »

While sitting in a hot tub in Brookings, I met an Economic Regional developer from Sisters, Oregon. She was asking about what unique problems Canada faced for economic development. I bit back "Trump" as a pat answer and decided to tell her the truth about how I saw it and what I've been reading in the paper: lack of population, declining work force and why we needed immigration.

There's is hardly a day that goes by where I'm not reading about the lack of skilled labour.

Here's another one:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#209131

Not enough chefs and why.

If you see news articles about "not enough <fill in the blank>" add them here.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: The rise of not enough skilled labour

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:
Not enough chefs and why.

Because it doesn't pay well enough!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The most annoying part about our current lack of skilled labour is the fact that both the Government and Industry have known for years that this time was coming, yet failed to adequately prepare.

My hubby (a Millwright by trade) has been saying for decades that as the Boomers age there's going to be a shortage of skilled labour, yet both industry and labour were reluctant to spend the money necessary to train young Canadians to fill the gap. They had a tendency to think that it would be cheaper to wait until the time came and then just "import" tradesmen, the way they've always done in the past. But what they failed to allow for is that because most countries are also facing a skilled labour shortage due to Boomers aging out of the workforce, there are now fewer tradesmen available for "import".

Even as the current shortage resulting from the failure of both Government and industry to plan ahead is becoming apparent, they're still not acknowledging their role in this problem. All we hear from them are "quick fix" solutions such as shortening apprenticeship time, but all that does is guarantee less qualified tradesmen in the future, which is clearly not the ideal.

The Government should use tax incentives to encourage companies to hire more apprentices, and colleges to offer more spaces to help train those apprentices. We have lots of unemployed, and under employed, youth who would most likely jump at the opportunities such a policy would provide. And in the meantime, until we can get all those "new" tradesmen fully qualified, the Government and industry need to consider innovative ways to try to keep some of the aging Boomers in the workforce (more flexibility in the hours, shorter work weeks, and more vacation time) come to mind.
Last edited by Merry on Oct 14th, 2017, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Bsuds wrote:Queen K wrote:Not enough chefs and why.
Because it doesn't pay well enough!

Exactly and the hours for a family life is virtually non existent.

Raise the wages, have hours so employees that want to work in the industry have some semblance of a life and I bet more might be enticed into the industry.
As a qualifier, I am not in the industry so really don't know all the nuances, but I suspect the price of a nice meal will go up and the eateries that offer exceptional food and service will have patrons that can afford to have a nice meal out.
Ones with perhaps less disposable income might have to eat at home a bit more often or ration the increased price of expense of eating out.
The effect, likely some eateries closing the door creating more available to work at a decent wage at the restaurants that have a cliental with the funds available to pay for a great meal.
I still believe eating out is a privilege or a luxury.
Noticed last night at a pub we frequent, the price at the end of the evening is about $15-$20 more than what it was a few years ago. Food is more consistent and less turnover in the kitchen it seems. Perhaps staff received a raise in wages and hours are shortened . ( kitchen closes at 8 now)
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

While it's true that there's probably room for pay increases in industries such as food and beverage, it's also true that it's unrealistic to expect increases high enough to cover the cost of living in places like Kelowna. Which is why it's essential that Governments build more affordable housing for those below a certain income level.

I don't believe in Government artificially controlling the price of private rental spaces; the market should control that. But what Government can do is build and rent out space to those whose income isn't high enough to participate in the regular market. I know they've already done this in some areas, but clearly they haven't built enough of them.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

top secret info for all you business owners, pay them fair wages and they will come
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

seewood wrote:

They can't afford a family!

My son is a Chef and lives at home because he can't afford to do otherwise. He has been at the same place for 5 years and it's seasonal (golf course). He just started a winter job as a laborer at a fabricating shop and makes more there than as a chef with 15+ years experience. Something is wrong with that.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

well if this town is in need of chefs like they say they are , maybe the wages will go up :up: you would like to think so anyway
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

seewood wrote:

Bsuds wrote:They can't afford a family!

My son is a Chef and lives at home because he can't afford to do otherwise. He has been at the same place for 5 years and it's seasonal (golf course). He just started a winter job as a laborer at a fabricating shop and makes more there than as a chef with 15+ years experience. Something is wrong with that.

That is not a new thing, Bsuds. My bro-in-law is a trained chef and he barely got above minimum wage here in town. He and his wife moved to Japan where she went to school and he ended up working for the British Embassy as head chef. After a year, he quite to teach conversational English. He made twice as much doing that.

Now he's a stay-at-home dad / webdesigner, while his wife works for a big corporation.
I haven't failed until I quit.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Spot on Merry

The Government should use tax incentives to encourage companies to hire more apprentices, and colleges to offer more spaces to help train those apprentices. We have lots of unemployed, and under employed, youth who would most likely jump at the opportunities such a policy would provide. And in the meantime, until we can get all those "new" tradesmen fully qualified, the Government and industry need to consider innovative ways to try to keep some of the aging Boomers in the workforce (more flexibility in the hours, shorter work weeks, and more vacation time) come to mind.[/quote]

I've always thought the ones bringing in temp foreign workers should pay a premium on their wages, say 10-15%, and have that money go into a pot. This money would then be earmarked for companies that do hire apprentices to perhaps off-set the lost production from an journeyman while they mentor an apprentice.
I suspect more companies would by into hiring a few more apprentices. No cost to taxpayers or minimul anyway.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Bsuds wrote:
seewood wrote:

They can't afford a family!

chef, or line cook?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gman313 wrote:chef, or line cook?

He is a Junior Sous Chef.

Return to “Social Concerns”