#MeToo

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Re: #MeToo

Post by liisgo »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Your link is just an advert for an australian newspaper.

As far as your comment: I have not heard of one "MeToo" victim that is blaming all men, so it's not about that. They are specifically blaming those in a position of power, who use that power to prey on young people (often women, but as we have seen young men are victimized as well) and sexually harass or assault them particularly in the work place, but we know it goes on in homes,schools, in recreational sports,church camps, at skytrains, and bustops.
I hear so much victim blaming, that it makes me sick. Those who use their position of authority or power to prey on others are to blame here, so let's not try to white wash that.

And here is an example of the problem. The writer of the above article is indeed from Australia. Within the first 6 paragraphs she talks about reports made world wide. It speaks of a politician from Sweden that is world renown on this subject and is speaking out to get things done and changed. This report has more merit than anyone single poster here by a long shot.
"She made reference to the world’s largest research database on intimate partner violence, the Partner Abuse State of Knowledge project, which summarises more than 1700 scientific papers on the topic."
What is sick is the continuation of governments, media and society of continually ignoring facts and reality.
No, Not blaming men??? the article speaks exactly how that is happening. Many poster here illustrate the exact same ignorance. They are only capable of including men in their statements, posts, protest.
This article illustrates that bigger problem.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Maybe if you provide a link to the article of which you write, it would be possible to make a comment.
The link you provided is for a subscription to a newspaper.
Your description of some part of an article is of no use for anyone else to comment.
Women (and men) on this thread, and in the "MeToo" movement blame the perpetrators for whatever sexual harassment or sexual assault they have caused. Continuing to blame the victim, trashing women, and it seems trashing the men who are also victims is not acceptable. Making excuses comparing women to chimpanzees, and suggesting the perpetrators somehow being incapable of managing their hormonal "instincts"(no doubt because women are dressing wrong and look too doggone attractive), and suggesting that victims are somehow responsible for the perpetrators behavior, is all complete rubbish.
Women don't blame men in general, because the vast majority of men are decent, kind, civil, human beings. The complaints are about those pigs who can't seem to take responsibility for their predatory behavior.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

liisgo wrote:http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/domestic-violence-data-shows-women-are-not-the-only-victims/news-story/2749c4517a57c33aca8bc2da9a40e2f9

So what should women's and societies next move be? Read the report. It seems millions of women are approaching this the wrong way. With complete ignorance to truth and accountability. Unable to acknowledge a proven part in it. What has happened when there is so much man hating, arrogance through our society. According to this special report, written by a women, millions are still spent trying to blame men for everything and trying even harder to exclude women from any of the responsibilities.
We can not fix issues when all many want to do is blame the other, unable to accept their own part. And as one put it, "men should all be on medication".
Seems establishing in ones own mind that everything is someone else's fault is going to make one feeling better or cure all these issues.
Fist off, it seems that women need to reprogram what possibly the third way feminist movement taught.
Then we can all get together and fight these issues for all of us. Yes, you do not have to listen to men explain this, there are tons of links on the internet of women trying to show and teach you whats gone wrong.
Men are willing to fight side by side with women on these issue but until the blaming, pointing, complaining, directing, falsifing, arrogance and just plain old gender bias stops, we wont be successful.

Firstly, when I click on the link to that article, it asks me to subscribe, which I'm not willing to do for what will certainly be the only article I will ever read on that site. From the link URL, it seem that the article is about domestic violence, which is certainly an important issue, with some overlap with this topic, but it is a different topic. It is certainly quite obvious that both men and women perpetrate domestic violence and it seems that domestic violence towards men, often by women, is even more under-reported than domestic violence by men against women. That in no way suggests that victims of sexual assault or harassment are in even the least little bit responsible for their assault or harassment, no matter how they dressed, or behaved and is largely irrelevant to this thread.

Finally, just because a woman pens something does not mean that it speaks for many or most women. Plenty of women write garbage as do plenty of men.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I'll get burned at the stake for this.

How is one to approach a possible courtship interest in this day and age ?

No matter how one goes about it could be construes as harassment.

One cannot even compliment another without the possibility of a negative back-lash.

Yes, wrongs have been, and will continue to truly happen, but to me a great number
of some of these allegations are nothing more than blowing someone's flirtatious
comments/advances way out of proportion.

Lots of people have no idea how to take a compliment.

Or, maybe I'm missing something....... :135:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

dirtybiker wrote:I'll get burned at the stake for this.

One cannot even compliment another without the possibility of a negative back-lash.

Yes, wrongs have been, and will continue to truly happen, but to me a great number
of some of these allegations are nothing more than blowing someone's flirtatious

I'd ask for their political "idealism" before I ask them to take the "ink blotch" test ...

If the first answer is Liberal and the second answer is kitty cats , I'd run .

Of course you never use your real name until you get the results...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

dirtybiker wrote:I'll get burned at the stake for this.

Yes, you have missed something. I have three grown sons. Somehow, without much direction from me, other than teaching them to be considerate, honest human beings, they have managed to approach women without being accused of harrassment. I meet men almost every day who manage to flirt or just socialize with me without harassing me. So I know men are capable of being civilized polite, caring human beings. I am sorry if you were never taught that.
Otherwise, I suspect you are just pulling our leg, or playing stupid. If you still are not sure how not to behave, just listen to some of the stories of the women who have been sexually harassed and assaulted. If that is you, stop it.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Uh huh ........
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Oh, but if a civilized polite gentleman that flirts/compliments does not fit your criteria then you would
then call it harassment ?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

dirtybiker wrote:Oh, but if a civilized polite gentleman that flirts/compliments does not fit your criteria then you would

Read back thru the posts where the definition of sexual harrassment are discussed and described at length.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Silverstarqueen wrote:
dirtybiker wrote:Oh, but if a civilized polite gentleman that flirts/compliments does not fit your criteria then you would

Read back thru the posts where the definition of sexual harrassment are discussed and described at length.

That's a LONG read .. But if you go back to my sisters thoughts that I posted AND thought hard about what it means , you'd .......

Never mind . I doubt you'd get it .

This post is edited to apologize to DB for jumping in ...

Sorry dude . I had too .
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

No need, I'm no idiot..
I know full well that it is a moving target that can and does change at any given time.
Many times fueled by emotion, even remorse over ones own actions.

And yes, it does exist, and goes both ways.

But, not for one minute will I believe it is so rampant as some would like everyone to believe !
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

MAPearce wrote:
This post is edited to apologize to DB for jumping in ...

Sorry dude . I had too .

No need to apologize, public forum, all should be able to have their say.

Right, wrong, or indifferent.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Sadly , sexual exploitation does indeed go too far . People do get hurt irreparably and there is no excuse for it. But for that abuse to be pinned on just one gender ( male) is just . plain . wrong .

It goes both ways ...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

A "refresher" ...

With plenty of time on my hands, I’ve been contemplating this whole “me too” thing and until now I’ve not commented on it - here’s why.
I have been sexually harassed and assaulted, yes. I have also objectified men, made assumptions about them based on physical appearance and worked my physical “assets” to my advantage. I’ve never sexually assaulted anyone, but I’m certain that if I’m being totally honest - I have made men uncomfortable or unhappy because of how I treated them. I’m happy that women are speaking out, but I’m a bit disappointed that I don’t see men doing it, too. There should be no double standard; nobody - woman or man - should feel degraded. I’m not trying to pick a fight, it’s just my thought. And now back to my regularly scheduled feed

These are my sisters words...

Smart kid .
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

dirtybiker wrote:But, not for one minute will I believe it is so rampant as some would like everyone to believe !

Why not? Because it really is. It's time to have some serious conversations and make some changes in our culture. Sexual harrasment, assault and rape have happened to pretty much every woman I know. All of us have a tale or two (or hundreds) to tell.

We're not talking about a harmless flirtation or compliment. This isn't about courtship. It's about consent and boundaries. We need to do a better job of teaching what that means. Read the stories coming out daily about this issue right now. The experiences are being shared. Listen to them.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Social Concerns”