#MeToo

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: #MeToo

Postby Silverstarqueen » Oct 29th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Because_They_Lie wrote:This clearly is not the popular perspective

It is a fact that the male is a lustful species, it is their nature, their instinct.

To not teach our daughters of this fact is highly ignorant and irresponsible.

In my opinion and experience, there is only 1 reason to dress provocatively - and that is to attract attention.

Educating our daughters about this life and it's nature is vital to their ability to navigate through their life in a safe and healthy manner.

Our external appearance is how we communicate ourselves to one another, if we don a clown suit our friends and neighbours will laugh or run and hide or roll their eyes - they will "respond"

It is vital to teach our daughters how to be responsible with their self expression. - what you put out there will surely always come back - for better or worse - it will always come back. learn to respect your self and your environment

Not all victims are actually victims of others - just unwilling to be accountable for their part in the dance.

Who walks into the woods with a raw slab of meat wrapped around their neck?


A young girl, or a woman is not "part of a dance" because she wore short shorts.
She is not responsible for some guys lust, or what he might decide to do about that lust.
The only self expression that gives him permission to have sex with her is "yes" (from an adult woman in response to a clear question), or "I do".
Presumed consent, is not consent.
Any self expression from a minor is not the consent of an adult, and so his "lust" if acted upon constitutes assault.
Regardless of how she is dressed. Capiche?

Verum likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru
 
Posts: 8054
Likes: 832 posts
Liked in: 2118 posts
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2012, 7:02 pm

Re: #MeToo

Postby zoo » Oct 29th, 2017, 7:58 pm

[/quote]

And the program was followed up by an apology for the inappropriate comments.[/quote]

An apology, you missed the point. It was absolutely disgusting that everyone continued to laugh, many times. That even after the one host, and only one, challenged it, the other hosts still could be seen scratching their heads that it mattered.
One would think in this day and age that the one host after making that statement about how different it would be if it was the other way around and not one single human being in that audience cheered or applauded. Think about the sickness here. Out of hundreds of women there that day, and the pain and suffering of this kind of physical assault, that these people would all have behaved very differently. Its not the one host that needed to apologize, its every single one of the audience as well as the other host's. Double standard. Just wonder in this day and age, if a man on a talk show every made a joke out of a man cutting off a women's breast and making fun of it on a national talk show and all the men in the audience laughing away how that would have played out eh. Still cant except the truth about double standards.
Ask yourself why? Just maybe its a little deeper than getting away with just an apology.

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
zoo
Board Meister
 
Posts: 638
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 139 posts
Joined: Jan 12th, 2006, 3:53 pm

Re: #MeToo

Postby LTD » Oct 29th, 2017, 8:45 pm

flamingfingers wrote:
actually the real issue there is the parents allowing their fifteen year old daughter to dress like a *bleep*


No. The issue is you 'perceiving she is a 'bleep" and you and others acting on your perceptions. Shameful.

first off I'm not acting on anything and if idiot parents allow their fifteen year old daughters to dress like skanks then they will be perceived as just that, shameful are the parents, if you cant see that I assume you're one of those parents . Very typical tho dress like trash and then wonder why people look at you then label everyone as a pervert :up:

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3917
Likes: 2721 posts
Liked in: 3087 posts
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 2:34 pm

Re: #MeToo

Postby Silverstarqueen » Oct 30th, 2017, 8:14 am

[/quote]

And the program was followed up by an apology for the inappropriate comments.[/quote]
zoo wrote:An apology, you missed the point. It was absolutely disgusting that everyone continued to laugh, many times. That even after the one host, and only one, challenged it, the other hosts still could be seen scratching their heads that it mattered.
One would think in this day and age that the one host after making that statement about how different it would be if it was the other way around and not one single human being in that audience cheered or applauded. Think about the sickness here. Out of hundreds of women there that day, and the pain and suffering of this kind of physical assault, that these people would all have behaved very differently. Its not the one host that needed to apologize, its every single one of the audience as well as the other host's. Double standard. Just wonder in this day and age, if a man on a talk show every made a joke out of a man cutting off a women's breast and making fun of it on a national talk show and all the men in the audience laughing away how that would have played out eh. Still cant except the truth about double standards.
Ask yourself why? Just maybe its a little deeper than getting away with just an apology.


The topic of genital mutilation certainly is more complicated than an apology, I simply pointed that out to show that the hosts were told them had gone too far, and so they apologized.
Millions of women all around the world (including women and girls in North America) have been victims of genital mutilation.
So genital mutilation of anyone, male or female, is an atrocity, but for many women, it is just part of their lives they cannot change.
Is it (occasionally) fodder for humor? yes. Is that appropriate? no.
https://en.qantara.de/content/female-ge ... -tradition

Verum likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru
 
Posts: 8054
Likes: 832 posts
Liked in: 2118 posts
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2012, 7:02 pm

Re: #MeToo

Postby MAPearce » Oct 30th, 2017, 5:19 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:When I see a 15 year old in short shorts my imagination is not doing anything special with that information, what is your imagination doing with it? Should her parents be giving her better loving guidance on what is appropriate fashion for a young lady? Yes. She is probably emulating some pop star which is what a lot of young girls do, without bettor mentors. Is she a horrible person because she is still in the process of developing some fashion sense? Do we blame her or presume she wants to be assaulted when she hasn't been taught any differently? I feel sorry for girls like that, but hopefully someone is going to help her dress more attractively before some deviant thinks it's a green light to do something terrible. If he does, are we going to blame her or do we blame the offender.


Ya know what ? When I saw that "chick" all I could think of is my little girl...

Did you give me a "hallelujah" ?

I'll guess that's a no ...

And let me ask this ... Do you dress your female horses up like tarts and expect the males to know their boundaries ?

I feel sorry for girls like that, but hopefully someone is going to help her dress more attractively before some deviant thinks it's a green light to do something terrible.


That's more like a neon " OPEN " sign these days ... Think OBJECTIVELY about that for a moment .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11159
Likes: 1677 posts
Liked in: 4177 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: #MeToo

Postby WeatherWoman » Oct 30th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Image
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan

2 people like this post.
User avatar
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast
 
Posts: 34702
Likes: 2774 posts
Liked in: 2537 posts
Joined: Jul 30th, 2009, 7:25 pm
Location: Vancouver Island

Re: #MeToo

Postby Silverstarqueen » Oct 30th, 2017, 6:16 pm

I have three grown sons. I have always expected them to know their boundaries with respect to their behavior around girls and women. Somehow not one of my sons has thought to try the " male horses do it" argument as an excuse for any questionable behavior. How did they know that wouldn't fly with me? Incidentally my husband did not lay down any rules with them, but certainly showed them an excellent positive role model as far as how to respect females.

2 people like this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru
 
Posts: 8054
Likes: 832 posts
Liked in: 2118 posts
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2012, 7:02 pm

Re: #MeToo

Postby MAPearce » Oct 30th, 2017, 6:20 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:I have three grown sons. I have always expected them to know their boundaries with respect to their behavior around girls and women. Somehow not one of my sons has thought to try the " male horses do it" argument as an excuse for any questionable behavior. How did they know that wouldn't fly with me? Incidentally my husband did not lay down any rules with them, but certainly showed them an excellent positive role model as far as how to respect females.


Good for you .. Now .

If you had a daughter that wore shorts so short you could see clam , what would you say to her OR your sons?

I'd tell my daughter " You're grounded " and my son to " Go back, it's a trap" .

I don't care what you or others say but if you dress the part , expect the attention.
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

Because_They_Lie likes this post.
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 11159
Likes: 1677 posts
Liked in: 4177 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: #MeToo

Postby Gilchy » Oct 30th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Men are hungry creatures. I know when I go to a restaurant, and I see all the delicious food prepared so tantalizing on peoples plates, I can’t help but help myself. If the food looked bland, I wouldn’t be tempted to eat from other people’s plates. It’s their fault for having a scrumptious meal in front of them if I can’t help myself.

That’s effectively what some of you are arguing.
User avatar
Gilchy
Übergod
 
Posts: 1128
Likes: 172 posts
Liked in: 541 posts
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 6:51 am

Re: #MeToo

Postby Silverstarqueen » Oct 30th, 2017, 7:38 pm

If I had a daughter who dressed inappropriately I would talk to her about how she arrived at her choices, about whom she was emulating, what her future aspirations were, how she felt when she wore different outfits. If they are dressing like Lady Gaga, but want to be a surgeon, then maybe they will begin to rethink their fashion choices. On the other hand, I find Lady Gaga's fashion style has grown on me, so I might not think it was that bad. I think dress is a very personal choice, even more so for a young lady. I tend to think it is better for them to experiment (if they are going to) with their appearance when they are 13 or 15 because it is so much better looking like a 13 year old when you are 13 , than when you are 19 or 25.
I think young people wore some pretty weird outfits when we were teens, and as far as I know most of my friends turned out all right.

Verum likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru
 
Posts: 8054
Likes: 832 posts
Liked in: 2118 posts
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2012, 7:02 pm

Re: #MeToo

Postby Because_They_Lie » Oct 31st, 2017, 9:28 am

Silverstarqueen wrote:
Because_They_Lie wrote:This clearly is not the popular perspective

It is a fact that the male is a lustful species, it is their nature, their instinct.

To not teach our daughters of this fact is highly ignorant and irresponsible.

In my opinion and experience, there is only 1 reason to dress provocatively - and that is to attract attention.

Educating our daughters about this life and it's nature is vital to their ability to navigate through their life in a safe and healthy manner.

Our external appearance is how we communicate ourselves to one another, if we don a clown suit our friends and neighbours will laugh or run and hide or roll their eyes - they will "respond"

It is vital to teach our daughters how to be responsible with their self expression. - what you put out there will surely always come back - for better or worse - it will always come back. learn to respect your self and your environment

Not all victims are actually victims of others - just unwilling to be accountable for their part in the dance.

Who walks into the woods with a raw slab of meat wrapped around their neck?


A young girl, or a woman is not "part of a dance" because she wore short shorts.
She is not responsible for some guys lust, or what he might decide to do about that lust.
The only self expression that gives him permission to have sex with her is "yes" (from an adult woman in response to a clear question), or "I do".
Presumed consent, is not consent.
Any self expression from a minor is not the consent of an adult, and so his "lust" if acted upon constitutes assault.
Regardless of how she is dressed. Capiche?


Teaching your daughters to dress however they like, you better teach them the facts of men as well. Pretending that men are not natured as they are and demanding a capishe from others is you denying the facts of reality. It is a criminal act to rape. But yeah go ahead let your daughter dress like a *bleep* but do not whine when she gets objectified. Where is your logic without the emotional reaction and yelling "Iam a victim"?

Like I said who wears a slab of meet around their neck and walks into the woods?

A illogical uneducated temptress - or a willing victim.
Because_They_Lie
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 987
Likes: 904 posts
Liked in: 274 posts
Joined: Jun 27th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Re: #MeToo

Postby Because_They_Lie » Oct 31st, 2017, 9:33 am

By the way, unless you are a hermit - all of life is a dance.
Because_They_Lie
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 987
Likes: 904 posts
Liked in: 274 posts
Joined: Jun 27th, 2017, 2:42 pm

Re: #MeToo

Postby Fancy » Oct 31st, 2017, 9:34 am

Because_They_Lie wrote:Like I said who wears a slab of meet around their neck and walks into the woods?

A illogical uneducated temptress - or a willing victim.

Comparing wild animals to men is illogical to me.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

whatwhat likes this post.
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 46450
Likes: 1191 posts
Liked in: 6411 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: #MeToo

Postby WeatherWoman » Oct 31st, 2017, 4:20 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/nowornever/turn ... -1.4373569

"Instead of focusing on the monsters, I want to use the monsters to draw our attention to the entire climate that allows the monsters to flourish, and I want to fix the climate," said Stamp.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
User avatar
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast
 
Posts: 34702
Likes: 2774 posts
Liked in: 2537 posts
Joined: Jul 30th, 2009, 7:25 pm
Location: Vancouver Island

Re: #MeToo

Postby zoo » Oct 31st, 2017, 6:42 pm

WeatherWoman wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/radio/nowornever/turning-the-metoo-movement-into-action-1.4368258/nicole-stamp-has-a-few-ways-men-can-do-better-1.4373569



It is very interesting hearing different things from different women. Its difficult to know who to believe. How can we deal with the real issues when there is so much arrogance out there.

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/opinio ... dmail.com&
zoo
Board Meister
 
Posts: 638
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 139 posts
Joined: Jan 12th, 2006, 3:53 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests