#MeToo

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: #MeToo

Postby foodsmith » Jan 25th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Wait, wait, wait...

Sooooo... Women can't decide if they're curvy?

That lay in the subjective hands of the beholder as they objectify the "Woman"?
foodsmith
Board Meister

Liked in: 285 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 25th, 2018, 2:51 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 25th, 2018, 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

dirtybiker likes this post.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 526 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 25th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Symbonite wrote:the metoo movement is actually changing the way we think about laws. Accusations are more powerful now than actual court conviction.

:up: The problem in a nutshell.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5562 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 25th, 2018, 3:59 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 25th, 2018, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2791 posts

Postby foodsmith » Jan 25th, 2018, 4:00 pm

Old Techie wrote:
Symbonite wrote:the metoo movement is actually changing the way we think about laws. Accusations are more powerful now than actual court conviction.

:up: The problem in a nutshell.

Really? Is it?

That's like getting upset with a chicken because it followed its natural course and hatched from an egg.

The 'problem' isn't the #MeToo movement or its momentum...

It's the lack of acknowledgement and acceptance that the movement itself is well-founded in a history of foundational wrongdoings against human beings by human beings -- NOT just Women.

Women have just been courageous enough to start pecking at the inside of their 'cell' and, having seen opportunity to break free, are getting their due attention.

Naturally the 'problem' grows in scope as others see the benefit of such a movement. Quite honestly it is beautiful in its progression, and wonderful to witness people stand up for what may be right -- in my opinion.

It's like the old saying goes: "...Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has..."

2 people like this post.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Liked in: 285 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 26th, 2018, 12:22 am

foodsmith wrote:Wait, wait, wait...

One time I met a girl that worked in construction who said she had trouble sometimes getting a job because she was to distracting to the men on the site(s)-implying she was super hot. I've been a official judge on that topic for decades and I can assure anyone even the light from hot would take years to get there. Even my girlfriend who is bi ,laughed at this girl's perception of herself . It is in the eye of the beholder. If she was happy at her perceived hotness ,then I am happy she feels so good about herself. So,'foodsmith', a woman can decide that she is curvy all she wants even though she may not be in reality.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 526 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Jan 26th, 2018, 1:39 am

oldtrucker wrote:So,'foodsmith', a woman can decide that she is curvy all she wants even though she may not be in reality.

Now now oldtrucker, there are all types of "curves", in some cases they just keep connecting up with each other, to form a circle, while in other instances, they actually meander back and forth, to create shapes other than a circle. :biggrin:

Which one happens to equate to "hot" is subjective I guess.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Urban Cowboy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5562 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 26th, 2018, 4:09 am

I guess the way to combat this some have taken to extreme measures that that doesn't happen to them like Vice President Mike Pence using the "Billy Graham rule". Some even say by adopting this rule the very thing actually hinders Women in equality...

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/21 ... wn-resigns

This guy should have adopted this rule. But he is now part of the Witch hunt....Maybe he did it...maybe he didn't...we don't know...its one persons word against another vs Public Opinion.

Hey look...whatever happens its never good that stuff like this happens to women...but accusations should never be above law...Nazi Germany loved accusations above law.

That's ridiculous, allegations are not above the law. Allegations must be made before there can be an investigation. The investigation determines if legal charges are brought against anyone. The innocent and even some not so innocent generally are never brought to trial, but even more rarely are ever proved guilty.

Why did he resign if he did nothing wrong? We are in a new world now where people can run for office (such as Trump for president, or what's his name Moore for senate) even when there are many allegations against them. Let them have their day in court, if that's what they want.Let them run for office if that's their preference. No need for resignations for those falsely accused.
What does Nazi Germany have to do with this? We have a very very different society and legal and political system than Nazi Germany had.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 1944 posts

Postby LANDM » Jan 26th, 2018, 4:18 am

oldtrucker wrote:
foodsmith wrote:Wait, wait, wait...

One time I met a girl that worked in construction who said she had trouble sometimes getting a job because she was to distracting to the men on the site(s)-implying she was super hot. I've been a official judge on that topic for decades and I can assure anyone even the light from hot would take years to get there. Even my girlfriend who is bi ,laughed at this girl's perception of herself . It is in the eye of the beholder. If she was happy at her perceived hotness ,then I am happy she feels so good about herself. So,'foodsmith', a woman can decide that she is curvy all she wants even though she may not be in reality.

Without speaking for someone else, that was sort of his point.....except for your part about the "reality" .
She did, if your interpretation of the situation is correct (and it may not be), decide she was hot, or even super-hot......therefore, the opinion of you and your bi girlfriend is irrelevant.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 3107 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 26th, 2018, 7:15 am

:popcorn: Does anyone else see the irony that the #Metoo thread has morphed into what constitutes "hot" and "curvy"?
It must be nice to live in an Ivory Tower, where everyone else makes mistakes. I have no idea what an ivory tower looks like.

4 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12643 posts

Postby LANDM » Jan 26th, 2018, 8:33 am

Yes......but it is made OK because a "bi-girlfriend" was making the judgement.

Spare the rod..... :biggrin:
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 3107 posts

Postby zoo » Jan 26th, 2018, 10:56 am

[/quote]

Why should a woman be blamed for dressing attractively?
Ah, You would like to blame men for how women dress? Dressing attractively is alot different than how women of hollywood dress. Unless your talking about Meg Ryan, who was the most beautiful actress ever and never had to show off her privates to do it.
Who signed up to have sex for money? They applied for acting jobs, were assaulted, and in some cases accepted a settlement for the assault (and might have had a non-disclosure agreement).
Your joking right. Actresses for ever have been doing that. Watch movies much. You know they are getting paid for those nude shots and sex scenes dont you?
So women could put a stop to the sexual attacks, by what, wearing a burka?
In Hollywood?
Looking attractive IS part of the business.
So there is no difference between looking attractive and what we see in hollywood? Guess we should all teach our daughters that hanging most of your breast out, taking your clothes off for money, doing sex scenes to become an actress is ok.
It's also part of being a waitress, a secretary for many businesses. Surely you are not saying that women have brought on sexual abuse by looking attractive?. Should news anchors, business women, Olympic athletes, also dress a little more ugly, use less makeup, to stave off sexual abuse?
For for all those great women out there that dress attractive, your saying they are ugly if they arent half naked?
Actresses are working as actors, they are not "selling themselves" as a receptacle for men's sperm.(Yes there is a name for that, but it still needs to be consensual).
Did you see in any of the post's that of agreeing that a sexual attack is OK?
OK, I have to laugh now, The actresses are doing what ever they can using sexual means to get those parts as sexual objects in those movies. Whether its flirting, exposing most of there bodies, taking there clothes off, sex scene's. Have you ever goggled "casting couch"?
If you want to "visulalize" over their filmed image or magazine layout, there is no law against that, but there is a law against forcing unwanted sexual advances on them.[/quote]
Women need to stop blaming the system, demands of this industry that they say makes them do what is required for fame, money, attention etc. Its there choice so lets stop blaming others for your choices.
The post's are not about sexual attacks being ok, they are about women in hollywood that go there if full intentions to play the game and get everything they can with what they have to do. And yes, that is a power and they control it.
zoo
Board Meister

Liked in: 100 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 26th, 2018, 5:06 pm

Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 1944 posts

Postby Jonrox » Jan 26th, 2018, 7:15 pm

Ummmm... Meg Ryan did show off her privates in the movie "In the Cut" .
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2021 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 26th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Jonrox wrote:Ummmm... Meg Ryan did show off her privates in the movie "In the Cut" .

Ummm, it was written in no? I mean, Meg Ryan didn't go from doing her role to suddenly, "It's MEG time" and flash the camera with her privates and carry on with the role directly after.

Have you seen Game of Thrones? The characters are naked, often. In every episode.

And given of what we know of Hollywood, I suspect nudity is written in for gratutious reasons, not "art."
It must be nice to live in an Ivory Tower, where everyone else makes mistakes. I have no idea what an ivory tower looks like.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12643 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns