#MeToo

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: #MeToo

Post by fvkasm2x »

Silverstarqueen wrote:What is the "problem" exactly with coming forward when she did?

There are several issues with it according to some people, but for me...

The only point in doing this now is political. It has nothing to do with healing or with justice.

The alleged incident happened when he was a drunk 17 year old. If we believe he did what she says, for the past 36 years he's devoted himself to being a man of the law. A family man. A civil servant.

He is clearly not the dumb drunken pervert she alleges. He's changed. He's bettered himself.

The liberal left would have us believe that inmates currently in prison can change. That they deserve 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances. Crackheads, homeless people, mental health patients, etc... are all good people. They just need a chance. We're not supposed to judge books by their covers. That everyone has the ability to be a great person.

Well here is a person who has gone on to be a great person. A strong family member and a high ranking JUDGE for the country. He's actually done something with his life. And now we're supposed to just throw him under the bus because of what he did as a drunk kid 36 years ago?

That's pretty brutal
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

fvkasm2x wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:What is the "problem" exactly with coming forward when she did?

There are several issues with it according to some people, but for me...

The only point in doing this now is political. It has nothing to do with healing or with justice.

The alleged incident happened when he was a drunk 17 year old. If we believe he did what she says, for the past 36 years he's devoted himself to being a man of the law. A family man. A civil servant.

He is clearly not the dumb drunken pervert she alleges. He's changed. He's bettered himself.

The liberal left would have us believe that inmates currently in prison can change. That they deserve 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances. Crackheads, homeless people, mental health patients, etc... are all good people. They just need a chance. We're not supposed to judge books by their covers. That everyone has the ability to be a great person.

Well here is a person who has gone on to be a great person. A strong family member and a high ranking JUDGE for the country. He's actually done something with his life. And now we're supposed to just throw him under the bus because of what he did as a drunk kid 36 years ago?

That's pretty brutal

No , the only point in doing it now is not necessarily political. Just because there are political ramifications, does not mean that is what motivated her. She has explained why now, why she was dealing with the fallout for so many years, why she never supposed that he would be nominated for supreme court, why she cannot sit by and say nothing any longer.

I agree that people should get a second chance, and that he has apparently lived a relatively virtuous life since. So he should still be able to answer to the allegations. He should be able to say, "I did some crazy things when I was in high school, some of which I do not recollect because I was blind drunk. It was wrong if I did it, and I ask forgiveness for the harm and grief caused her since, and would like to move on since I have lived such a good life since." Then he can throw himself on the mercy of the senators and see if they agree. If I were a senator I would actually consider his whole life of good works, and the fact that he was relatively young at the time, and may not even recall what he did. And the fact that he was remorseful if it was heartfelt. They are/were both Catholic, so this would not be inconceivable as a way to resolve the situation. The rest would be between him and his priest. If he is such a great and honorable person (as would be expected of a supreme court judge), then he would face the allegations, not run from them and, he would atone for his transgression.

I really doubt that she is "confused" as some politician claimed. I am pretty sure she knows who assaulted her. I am pretty sure she was traumatized. Unfortunately that fact has prevented her from bringing it forward for resolution before he happened to reach this critical point in his career. I am very sure she does not deserve to suffer death threats because she was assaulted years ago. So there may be some negative repercussions for him as well as there has been for her. Just because it is a very inconvenient time, is no reason to just ignore that she was assaulted and pretend it never happened.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Sep 19th, 2018, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

#MeToo as "pound sign me too", and everyone would just think you're an old geezer,

I am old , I admit that ..

But a geezer ???

My farts stink , I'm going bald and I have no "real" teeth left in my head . My eyes are shot but I DON'T use a walker yet ..

Geezer offends me . What " sign " would you suggest I use to start my own movement ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Incidentally there are other reasons, more related to Kavanaugh's actual opinions and decisions why many might believe he should not be confirmed, not necessarily related to some indiscretions when he was a teen. Example:

"Going even further, Judge Kavanaugh will give free reign to anonymous donors and foreign governments through their citizens to spend money to interfere and influence our elections with so-called ‘issue ads.’ These ‘issue ads’ are now flooding the airways in this nation to directly influence election outcomes, drowning the concept of individuals having the strongest voice in our democracy. Judge Kavanaugh has clearly said that there should be literally no restrictions on these ads. He has called restrictions on these dark money issue ads ‘blatantly unconstitutional.’ And in a court opinion, he went out of his way to say that foreign nationals weren’t restricted from creating or contributing to these ads—even when that wasn’t the issue before the court. A Russian company that has been indicted for election interference is currently using Judge Kavanaugh’s opinion to argue for their innocence.

“While I am also uncomfortable about his view on Presidential power as it relates to the rule of law, and his position that corporations are people, it is his allegiance to the position that unlimited donations and dark anonymous money, from even foreign interests, should be allowed to swamp the voices of individuals that has been the determining factor in my decision to vote no on his nomination.”
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Apparently, classmates at Ford's school heard about the incident at the time . So that would be interesting to investigate, but who wants to jump into this pile of poo now? I think more time (than a week) is needed to sort out who knew what and when. So Kavanaugh will likely be confirmed, and then the stories will come out later because of artificial deadlines set for the confirmation vote. Only 10% of the documents on Kavanaugh's background have been released to those who need it to vote on his confirmation.

https://www.mediaite.com/online/ford-cl ... book-post/
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Changes are happening in some organizations as a result of the MeToo movement. This is going to take some time, but some people are getting the message.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mark- ... 2018-09-19
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

We are about to out a very prominent Canadian artist from the lower mainland. He sexually harassed my wife, i called him on it today and have messages from 10 other women with the exact same story. Police reports are filed and being investigated.

I will advise who once formal charges are made public. Then the name will be out and hopefully he will get is day in court.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

gman313 wrote:We are about to out a very prominent Canadian artist from the lower mainland. He sexually harassed my wife, i called him on it today and have messages from 10 other women with the exact same story. Police reports are filed and being investigated.

I will advise who once formal charges are made public. Then the name will be out and hopefully he will get is day in court.

Good for you. Good luck and all the best to your family during the ordeal
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Thank you!

i'v'e gotten 4 pm's looking for a name. Won't happen people. Despite it's challenges i believe our court system is the best way to handle it so kindly stop messaging me.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Here's the problem though, is with the timing of it all. That's what hurts the "cause" the most and makes skeptics jump on these kinds of situations.

Why didn't he come clean when it happened?

He didn't come clean when he got his first real long term girlfriend.
He didn't come clean when he became an adult.
He didn't come clean when he got engaged.
He didn't come clean when he got married.
He didn't come clean when he got his first appointment as a judge.

He still hasn't come clean, or expressed any sort of remorse or concern for his victim.
He hasn't been "brave" enough to do it for almost 40 years, but he wants to be looked upon as a Justice of the Supreme Court? Yes, the problem , is with the timing of it all. That's what hurts the "cause" the most and makes skeptics jump on these kinds of situations.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

gman313 wrote:We are about to out a very prominent Canadian artist from the lower mainland. He sexually harassed my wife, i called him on it today and have messages from 10 other women with the exact same story. Police reports are filed and being investigated.

Ohh is ir Chad Krueger lead singer of Nickleback?

Sexually harassed how?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Bill Cosby, America's Dad, deemed a sexually violent predator, sentenced to 3 to 10 years, for drugging and sexually assaulting women, has not admitted guilt, shows no remorse at all, but will have to undergo counselling for life. Cosby's victims are still suffering from the fallout of his behavior decades ago, and because some people still don't believe them.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/bill-c ... index.html
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Sep 25th, 2018, 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Meanwhile Judge Kavanaugh's ex-roommate says he believes the women who claim he was sometimes heavily drunk and aggressive because he also saw this side of him, but did not witness sexual assault, did not hang out socially with him.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Sep 25th, 2018, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Meanwhile Judge Kavanaugh's ex-roommate says he believes the women who claim he was sometimes heavily drunk and aggressive because he also saw this side of him, but did not witness sexual assault.

Those who didn't get heavily drunk in college, please raise your hands...
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Social Concerns”