Anne frank costume pulled

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Anne frank costume pulled

Post by maryjane48 »

http://glbn.ca/j2f5yN

the reason im putting this hear is to see if the same disdain for first nations wanting certain things ended because it insults them or is in bad taste will extend that to this . i mean the right seems to pick and choose what to be horrified with . :smt045
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Anne frank costume pulled

Post by Fancy »

I had a two page response - can't do it. Costumes tend to be the sign of the times and sometimes those times should be ended.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Fancy wrote:I had a two page response - can't do it. Costumes tend to be the sign of the times and sometimes those times should be ended.

meaning what ? if its first nation complaining who cares but if its a jew lets raise hell ? theres some biasedness :smt045
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

There's nothing offensive about the costume itself, but why they chose that name, I don't get it - I'm not seeing the reference.

If the costume is supposed to be Anne Franke, then thats a good thing - its recognizing someone who had a very significant and important historical role, that would be no different then an Albert Einstein costume - the person and their merits are being recognized in a positive way.

There used to be a time where historical figures or role models such as Marie Curie, Helen Keller, were considered to be something positive when young children decided to portray them - its an unfortunate world we now live in where people can only see some sort of strange negatives instead of turning something into a positive.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Oct 18th, 2017, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

This is stupid.
Honestly they should sell this costume and put native outfits on the shelf also, as pointed out in the letter they also provide costumes for school projects and plays.
I think you could have a point if they were a "pop up" retailer for Holloween specifically.
Should be up to parents to police their kids and costumes, not businesses.
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

My mind hurts from arguments such as this. Move along nothing to see here.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

That's in incredibly bad taste. Can't believe that any company would be stupid enough to create and sell something like that.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

techrtr wrote:That's in incredibly bad taste. Can't believe that any company would be stupid enough to create and sell something like that.

There are legit reasons as stated in the letter.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

jimmy4321 wrote:
techrtr wrote:That's in incredibly bad taste. Can't believe that any company would be stupid enough to create and sell something like that.

There are legit reasons as stated in the letter.

Baloney. How many of those costumes do you think they would sell for school plays or other "legitimate" uses. Not nearly enough to justify the expense of designing and putting them into production. It's a disgusting attempt to use a tragic event in history to cash in at Halloween.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

It's a year round shop, hardly cashing in on Holloween. I wouldn't think Anne Frank was hot off the shelves-Trump maybe.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

techrtr wrote:That's in incredibly bad taste.

How so? Is it really the costume thats in bad taste or is it your interpretation of it?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Good topic. Walmart banned sale of Israeli soldier costume.

How do we decide what is acceptable and what is not?
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

I see *nothing* bad taste about the costume. If someone dressed up their house like a gas chamber and had it look like dead (gasssed jews) all over the place, I'd agree. Very poor taste. But lets face it, it's a Halloween costume. If they had marketed the costume as "kid from the 40's", would the same people demand it be pulled from shelves? I highly doubt it.

I wouldn't buy this for either of my kids.. Only because they want to have a fun and exciting costume. If one asked for the Anne Frank, I'd go buy it, without a second thought.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Loser parents - kids aren't paying for these costumes.

Return to “Social Concerns”