Is this really appropriate?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Is this really appropriate?

Post by Bsuds »

So with all the News recently about sexual harassment by certain individuals in the entertainment industry is the Tango's weekly best of 7 photos appropriate?

http://thetango.net/2017/10/19/best-sev ... r-19-2017/

They are almost always young pretty women in posing for the camera or taking selfies.

I wonder if they even know the pictures are being used in this manner and why are there rarely if ever any mens pictures?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Is this really appropriate?

Post by kgcayenne »

Bsuds wrote:... why are there rarely if ever any mens pictures?

Here is another weird thing, I belong to a few FB photography groups, and there can be umpteen bazillion beautiful, scantily clad women in teensy weensy bikinis in all manner of weird poses and implied nudes, but within the hour if someone posts a series of images containing a man in speedo style briefs, or a strategically placed towel, it gets reported, FB takes it down, and suspends the photog's account.

So yah, I get what you're saying.

Edited to add quote to identify the context of my response.
Last edited by kgcayenne on Oct 19th, 2017, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I don't see how this is not appropriate. So, somebody was sexually harassed. What, you're not supposed to take pictures of yourself? How's that going to help?
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

I don't really see an issue with the Best of 7 page. As I understand it, they are all selfies, so the woman took these pictures themselves. What they did with the photo after it was on their phone was up to them. If they sent it to their friends, boyfriend, husband etc... and they sent it to Best of 7, I'm totally ok with that.

If, the picture was taken without consent, and put online, I'm not ok with that. But I suspect consent is implied when you take a picture of yourself and give it out to people.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Why is this not appropriate? How does this have anything to with sexual harassment?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I think we as a society better get over being offended. Now we've come to questioning whether it's "appropriate" for women to post photos that they themselves took online?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I think the bigger concern here is the fact that people (mostly men) may be actually having a reaction of "Is it ok to actually find women attractive anymore, or is just finding someone attractive now assault"

It isn't of course, there is nothing wrong with finding someone attractive, it's everything skeevy guys do after that where the issue happens.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

You are free to take pictures at the beach or any other public place. There is no expectation of privacy in public places.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gman313 wrote:You are free to take pictures at the beach or any other public place. There is no expectation of privacy in public places.

True but without the persons permission it's illegal to use them for profit.

What I find a bit inappropriate is to post these pictures and asking people to vote on which one they like better.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I have an issue if they are under the age of consent and the pictures are being used without permission.
Lack of education is another point that pictures you share on the internet are no longer personal but public property unless you have gone through the channels to have copyright protection.
Did they read the fine print and truly understand the terms of the contract or did they just agree with them giving up their rights to the picture.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Bsuds wrote:What I find a bit inappropriate is to post these pictures and asking people to vote on which one they like better.

Why? Are personal preferences inappropriate or somehow offensive now?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Having a reaction to a picture is absolutely normal ... not exercising control of that reaction and behaving inappropriately is the real problem ...

Making sure that pictures you post to the internet (private or public) is done for the right reasons and will be honoured properly is something we should all be educated on ...

How paranoid should we be? I don't know ... being a white male has inoculated me to a lot of crap that happens in this world though I still do my best to be empathic ... having good communication with both my wife and my daughter is key ...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:What I find a bit inappropriate is to post these pictures and asking people to vote on which one they like better.
FreeRights wrote:Why? Are personal preferences inappropriate or somehow offensive now?

Not knowing how fragile some of these people might be, coming in 7 out of 7 might crush their ego and they would do something not to wise.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

edited out as the meaning could have been misconstrued
Last edited by Ka-El on Oct 20th, 2017, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:
FreeRights wrote:Why? Are personal preferences inappropriate or somehow offensive now?

Not knowing how fragile some of these people might be, coming in 7 out of 7 might crush their ego and they would do something not to wise.

Guess we'll just have to coddle them and give everyone first prize - the World needs more Snowflakes - brace yourselves, Winter is coming :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Social Concerns”