Am I Second Nations ?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Am I Second Nations ?

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Did not some (or all) First Nations ancestors cross over from Asia thousands of years ago? Would that not make them immigrants as well?

This whole argument is just a bunch of semantics in as far as I'm concerned we are all citizens of the Earth and should just deal with it and get along! So when the first Aliens arrive we can then say we are all together.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

This whole argument is just a bunch of semantics in as far as I'm concerned we are all citizens of the Earth and should just deal with it and get along! 

Then maybe we should call ourselves United Nations...

...oh wait, that's been taken.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Or just Earthlings.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Bsuds wrote:Did not some (or all) First Nations ancestors cross over from Asia thousands of years ago? Would that not make them immigrants as well?

This whole argument is just a bunch of semantics in as far as I'm concerned we are all citizens of the Earth and should just deal with it and get along! So when the first Aliens arrive we can then say we are all together.

Yes indeed. And, if there were several migrations over hundreds or thousands of years, the descendants of people in the first wave could rightfully be called the "First Nation." Can you imagine the brouhaha if one group could be identified as the first to make the crossing and their descendants claimed all of North, Central and South America?
Last edited by techrtr on Oct 20th, 2017, 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

good-cause-girl wrote:I am not trying to be rude or mean here but I have over heard a conversation that really made me wonder this question.

First Nations are the 1st people, I got that. But as the wave of settlers came over on boats and basically stole the best of the best from the first people and ran with it and never looked back, we all now feel like WE own this Country not them.

So, now we are all up in arms about the newest threat to OUR way as we have it. . .

Are we the 2nd nations people and the new to our country the 3rd nations? What are we? Settlers? Common land pirates? Or are we entitled to some sort of compensation because we are now having the land we stole and our values being pushed to the side to make way for the newest wave of settlers and we are kinda *bleep* about this. Just like the 1st nations are *bleep*, and for what seems like forever because they can never ever be satisfied because we are here now spouting off about how hard done by the new people make us 2nd people feel......

In all honesty I like many of our new Canadians. They have stories you could never hear anywhere else and we are welcoming them here, yay for us, BUT, so many non Native people are starting to say that this is OUR Country not theirs. Um, we did steal it, BUT we have been here now for a few generations and feel it is our land.

Is there such a thing as "Second Nations"? And do we/us have any status for being the first thieves?

I totally get your point. My family has been here for several generations. They came from Eastern Europe and yes, the Canada I grew up in was mostly European. Does it bother me that I'm starting to feel like I'm in the minority in this country - yeah, sometimes it does. I feel like my ancestors worked hard to build this country and now we're being usurped by people who haven't done anything yet they are changing the entire cultural fabric of Canada.

Now, if I was a First Nations person, I would either be really angry, or laughing MAO now that the tables are being turned on Europeans and they're getting a taste of their medicine.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Bsuds wrote:Did not some (or all) First Nations ancestors cross over from Asia thousands of years ago? Would that not make them immigrants as well?

Wuddayamean, the "first" aliens?
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bman wrote:Wuddayamean, the "first" aliens?

Well the first ones who are stupid enough to introduce themselves to us.
wsho2

Post by wsho2 »

techrtr wrote:Does it bother me that I'm starting to feel like I'm in the minority in this country - yeah, sometimes it does.

Yeah, you can definitely see how a European person living in Kelowna could feel quite badly outnumbered.

"Just over 6% of the population belongs to a visible minority, the largest of which are: South Asian (1.8%), Chinese (1.2%), Japanese (0.8%), Southeast Asian (0.6%), Black (0.5%), Filipino (0.4%), and Latin American (0.4%). About 3.4% of the population in Kelowna belong to an Aboriginal group, all of which are First Nations. The White population is more than 90%."
(http://worldpopulationreview.com/world- ... opulation/)
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Sasquatch was here before anyone else, but they're too smart to be found.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Look at the concept asked. (if I got it somewhat right)

IF in 50 years the "white Europeans" that came here and took things are then a minority and the laws, rules and culture have drastically changed and the new colonists have raped and murdered many (though likely not as many) would they then have grounds to ask for reparations?.....do you think they would get any (the answers no)

I have a culture from my upbringing till now, it has changed in some ways and stayed the same in others, should new groups get to dictate my culture is no longer valid for a new culture? (again the answer is no)

I think the OP poses a neat theoretical debatable idea, and not one for crying "but the first nations" or "you're racist for hating immigrants".....I do not feel the OP was desiring that attitude, that is others making it there personal offence and creating anger in justification.

I know of Italian clubs in town, German Clubs in town, friendship centers......all of these are good, and yet changing, but there are many factors now where we see time and again where people ask that the law not apply due to the "new culture" they brought. Laws can change, however should they be ignored until they change, when should culture overrule law and country and community?....and when should trends be allowed to remove the pride in ones culture.

People will always fear certain changes in life, especially as they age, however people wanting to be allowed to be proud of who they are and where they came from isn't a bad thing, but are more and more being told they should be ashamed and too often due to skin color or faith all around as the reason.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

If I am a "2nd nations", then what class does that make all others that have arrived after me? Are we going to degrade ourselves back to the "class" society?
Don't we have enough on our communal plates than we politically and correctly deal with, without starting new fights?
Bring back the LIKE button.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I don't know about Second Nation...............but for sure I am ATM Nation and have been all of my working years.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

jimmy4321 wrote:How first nations conducted themselves amongst themselves on their property true or not in no way excuse or justify what Brits etc did, and Canada early on.

No its not - but what white man did gives no justification to ignore and not acknowledge what the natives did to each other either :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Return to “Social Concerns”