Canada immigration policy and Refugee swarm

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Walter78

Canada immigration policy and Refugee swarm

Post by Walter78 »

While we all enjoy the peace, sunshine and joy in the Okanagan Valley, chaos happening in Europe and our southern neighbor annoys me. I really do not want that happen in Canada. As the ISIS suspect attack in Edmonton not long ago, recalling PM's recent subtle change in his welcome message made in Kelowna. (http://nlai.ca/immigration-law/immigration-kelowna/)I really want our government strengthen our immigration policy not on lips but proactively in action.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Canada immigration policy and Refugee swarm

Post by Catsumi »

Yes, that would be most helpful. However, I think that the will of our PM is just not there and possibly we will see a few more years go by with hard raps to our heads before changes happen. A turnout of present government is the first step.

:smt045
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
luomengnie

Post by luomengnie »

Politics talk rosy. I agree on be kind and generous as a nation. But always keep in mind be kind and generous to Canadian first. We need, at the very least, to be treated in a respectful & honest way by those we open our arms to. And Canada has a history and a main value system should be maintained.
enoughsenough

Post by enoughsenough »

How nice it must be for you to complain about "swarms" of refugees coming into Europe and the US. So nice, indeed, that you can only sit and worry about such a possibility of anything coming to Canada. My great grandparents were part of the swarm of refugees leaving Europe at the brink of World War I, and nobody in Canada complained then, but that probably had a lot to do with the genocide against the native population occurring at that time.
However, we are white, and we shall prevail, right? (I am, of course, being facetious.)
I haven't complained about the "swarms" of refugees because I do not see them as ISIS, as you so delicately yet maliciously put it. In fact, having travelled the Middle East extensively, I have met many Syrians and Iraqis who are -- believe it or not -- not part of ISIS, but instead fleeing the disgusting behaviour that specific group has been committing for the past few years. That behaviour is, of course, not far off of the genocide the Europeans committed in North America not a century ago. The difference is that innocent Syrians and Iraqis should be able to have a place to go, and as a Canadian, I welcome them. I am proud to welcome them!
Quite frankly, it makes me sick that somebody could even toy with the idea of letting innocent people die in order to preserve their ability to enter a supermarket and hear only the English language spoken. Get off your high horse and show some compassion, please. I would prefer to see the borders open more in light of the racist bigotry coming into light south of the border, but unfortunately I would have to take into consideration the views of people like you.
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

I love how people love to quote what they are seeing in Europe (on youtube, social networks, blogs, and single news articles, etc.).

Sorry but no that simply isn't how it is. In Germany we have had immigration for a long time, we have a NEED for immigration. Refugee or Immigrant we need people to take care of an aging population. Those are the economic aspects, however the humanitarian aspect is for us a priority. Do we have issues with a few black sheep? Sure we do, to expect that everyone is 100% in agreement is honestly not realistic.

You have people who have been on the run for YEARS, families and single individuals etc. Many refugees suffer from PTSD, others suffer personal losses of family members (just this last attack in Africa cost one women 22 family members, the pain this caused is almost unimaginable). We have it easy to pass judgement on those who have in reality not much of a voice.

Now to clarify something those "Swarms" (honestly that description of the masses of people, usually used to describe insects, is absolutely ill at place) are only a small number of all immigration we have in Canada. To compare the small number of refugees Canada is taking in with the MILLIONS being taken in by European Countries is quite wrong.

You bring up the attacks in Edmonton, I am sorry but you are kidding right? Yes Canada has been attacked, but NOTHING in comparison to the other countries, due to our laws, and restrictions put in place so far. Our immigration laws as well as vetting are in fact very good, could they use improvement? Sure so does everything, but lets make one thing clear, there is no such thing as 100% safety.

To be clear so far a white nationalist killed more people in one sitting this year than foreign terrorists killed in Canada in a decade.

Canada is a country known to be the international humanitarian, the one country people can count on to do the right thing (its own history and dark times left for another discussion), Canada has been the innovator, the mediator and the country to come in when other countries decide not to or can not help.
Canada's values are clear, we stand to help!

If we as citizens suffer a little hardship I have to say that it is un-comparable to that of many refugees and we should seriously bite our tongue here. That is not to say not to voice it but to realize that even in difficult times we have it a million times better than those refugees from Raqqa, Syria for example.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Verum wrote:Are we at risk of doing something similar again?
http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/1174272-canada-turned-away-jewish-refugees

Almost; Virtually no Yazidi genocide victims being referred to Canada via the inept UNHCR process. - and few of you gave a sh*t

"...The reality is that it took two opposition motions and media shaming for the Trudeau Liberals to agree to include Yazidi genocide survivors in its refugee plan...."

But coming up from the US with a criminal record? - come right-on in. Manitoba "needs" you

It’s official. The Liberals have completely broken our immigration system

Liberals Fail Both Newcomers And Canadians In Their Immigration Levels Report November 01, 2017

Canadian support immigration when our system works in a compassionate, safe and fair manner.
For many, this means that immigrants are expected to enter the country through legal and established channels.
It also means that newcomers are expected to help better Canada and that Canada provides the support and opportunity for them to do this.
In this, for many Canadians, it has never been a question of if we should welcome newcomers to Canada, but rather a question about how we do it.

Today the Liberal government has announced that they are about to bring an additional 300,000 people to Canada next year.
While we acknowledge that immigration plays a vital role in the Canadian economy and social fabric, this announcement has occurred in the context of several large scale Liberal led immigration systems failures. It also occurs in the Canadian context of sluggish national economic growth, rising taxation rates, ballooning public deficits, and in the global context where migration has become one of the most significant public policy challenges facing the world today.

Simply put, the Liberals failure to get the “how” right, has led a lot of Canadians to question “if”. That is dangerous, and is something that we need to address through strong policy and process solutions. I worry that if the Liberals fail to do this, we risk the rise of xenophobic sentiment which nobody, especially the Conservative Party of Canada, wants to see. It also means that a lot of newcomers to Canada have become or will become disenchanted with a system that they were told was fair and compassionate.

To immediately change this, and restore public confidence and in conjunction with the release of the immigration levels plan, the Trudeau government needs to address the following issues.

here:

https://www.facebook.com/michellerempel ... X-SY_Pb7gI
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

I think its important to remember a few things about immigration.

1) Immigrants provide a great pool of diversity and investment opportunities. Steve Jobs (Syrian Parents), Elon Musk (South African), Frank Straunch (Eastern Europe), Prem Watsa (Indian) and a whole slew of others have contributed more than their fairshare.

2) All immigrants pay taxes on food, shelter, fuel, etc, so they contribute one way or another.

3) A society that is highly restrictive to immigration and has a low birthrate fails in the long run (look at Japan). Many of Japan's larger companies failed to adapt and be creative not only because new idea's and processes were not developed but they failed to gain knowledge and benefit from global citizens who have done things differently and could have helped make industries more competitive.

4) The Okanagan has directly benefitted from immigration from the rest of Canada and beyond. People who own houses have seen their values rise, workers from other countries continue to make it cost competitive when it comes to fruit picking and packaging.

5) Some of the greatest terrorist attacks have been lone wolves who are raised in our own country. Lets not forget Vegas which happened just a few months ago. There are always bad apples everywhere. There are also good people everywhere as well who adopt Canada as their home and are more patriotic than some who have been born here. The plot to blow up a train in Toronto was stopped by a person who was a new citizen.
Invictus

Post by Invictus »

Well here's what I'm reading here, I had to make an account because I nearly vomited from disgust.

1. Large numbers of immigrants and refugees provide cheap hardworking labour. This is great for the capitalist class that likes a large supply of labour and thus a low cost. Bad for anyone who requires a paycheque to live. Great if you make a living through investment. Bad for the majority.

2. Their counties are failing due to their own cultural problems and conflicts so we should bring all of them here where a small minority can actively seek to murder our people and spread their backwards cultures that caused this problem in the first place. Savagery like the caste system, or ultra conservative religions that hate women and homosexuals do not belong in Canada. The fact anyone is willing to sacrifice another Canadian so they can massage their guilt regarding the state of foreign peoples in no way connected to us is nauseating. It should be you and your family on that altar of sacrifice. Not some person you'll never meet, ran over by a truck of peace or IED of love.

I'd rather be Japan with a slightly low birthrate (it's increasing now due to government intervention, something we could do, encourage Canadians to have families with lower real estate costs and subsidies), where no one has to worry about immigrants running them over, blowing them up, or reducing their wages. Where their cities retain their heritage rather than being turned into a hollow shell, a heartless global city of empty condos with the locals chased to the periphery. No, if I want to experience global culture is prefer it not be in ghettos in our country physical and metaphorical.

We need some immigration, we want new ideas and a spattering of foreign cultures. We absolutely do not need mass immigration that precludes assimilation. We don't need people from savage cultures that, if these barbarous ideals were held by visible white people, you would deride as worse than the Nazis and hate with fervent passion. If this mass migration was going the other way, into Asia, Africa, and elsewhere, it would be called genocide the forcible eradication of a culture by mass migration, as recognized by the UN. I'd rather not experience what we did to the natives. If you think we should because of karma or internal guilt you can kindly experience the punishment of the traitor you know you are.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

40 years of killing our own - "consequence free"

Surprise! - wrong again

Individually - Collectively - Nationally...

eventually we will always reap what we sow - sure as newtons' apple falls to the ground.

The blood of the innocent doesn't go unanswered - Take the shame

But regret sucks ...best we just keep lying to ourselves right till the bitter end.

...But what do i know... Good luck SUCKAS' !!
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

I'd rather be Japan with a slightly low birthrate (it's increasing now due to government intervention, something we could do, encourage Canadians to have families with lower real estate costs and subsidies), where no one has to worry about immigrants running them over, blowing them up, or reducing their wages.

It would take far too long to list and explain the significance of all the geographical, political, social and cultural differences between Canada and Japan to definitively demonstrate what a ridiculous notion this is. If you rather be Japan, maybe you should pursue teaching ESL. For those who think the American attitude of travel bans, enhanced police and army security and border walls is the way to go, please don’t let any of us dissuade you from moving. Most Canadians are quite proud of our reputation as a tolerant and inclusive nation, and yes – we are dependent on immigration and refugees, and we will be dependent upon them more than ever over the next few decades. Evolution, including social and cultural evolution is inevitable. Canada’s demographic (like the world) is changing, and there are going to be less white people in a few more generations. You all better learn how to deal with that. We evolve and adapt and learn to care for and share with our neighbors (including the new ones), or we become more of a nation of divisiveness and hate and violence like our sick southern neighbors desperately trying to stop the world from moving on. As Charles Darwin observed, “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.”

Return to “Social Concerns”