My opinion of Big retail stores closing up.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: My opinion of Big retail stores closing up.

Postby AlienSoldier » Oct 30th, 2017, 11:00 am

1. A packed doesn't mean a profitable mall. Most malls make their profit between Friday and Sunday, the rest of the week they are slow. So look at google analytics to see how actually busy a mall is on average.
2. When large anchor tenants leave it puts undue stress on the smaller shops as they have to now brand themselves more to bring people to the mall. This is an added cost which the larger retailers absorb.
3. Long term leases with the large anchor tenants help keep malls open as it makes sure they are steady for years to come.
4. With younger people looking for "events and experiences" malls need to invest to drive people in (think Sherway Gardens, Yorkdale and Eaton Center) all had 100 million+ renovations to drive traffic.
5. Always view what people are carrying, you could go for a walk in the mall and not buy anything. Those stores are paying a premium to be in that location, so if customers are not buying, they will not be there long.

Larger cities will always have the advantage of numbers, with more people in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Edmonton, etc they can always count on a portion of business. If you compare cities the size of Kelowna to other centers in the US and Canada, you will indeed see malls starting to be stressed, or closing.
AlienSoldier

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby AlienSoldier » Oct 30th, 2017, 11:18 am

Dizzy1 wrote:
Thinktank wrote:Sure the outlet mall in Las Vegas is busy, with 30 million tourists every year,

As are the several malls I listed :up:

For every mall that is dying, there is a mall that is thriving :up:

By that note, 50% of the malls are dying. :200:
AlienSoldier

Postby Dizzy1 » Oct 30th, 2017, 10:56 pm

AlienSoldier wrote:

By that note, glass is half empty or the glass is half full - all depends on one's outlook - be positive and prosper or be doom and gloom and wallow :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4449 posts

Postby AlienSoldier » Oct 31st, 2017, 4:43 am

Dizzy1 wrote:
AlienSoldier wrote:

By that note, glass is half empty or the glass is half full - all depends on one's outlook - be positive and prosper or be doom and gloom and wallow :up:

Haha I'm probably one of the most positive people out there, but with the number of jobs that malls provide it is scary to think about even a 10% reduction not affecting lifestyle and small town life. These are jobs that students, young adults and people start with and sometimes make careers out of.

Hopefully the old is replaced with something new, maybe a new concept or idea will take root, but right now I can't think of what else you can turn a mall into.
AlienSoldier

Postby Fancy » Oct 31st, 2017, 5:36 am

I believe some have been turned into commercial buildings - offices and retail combined.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 4843 posts

Previous

Return to Social Concerns