Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Post by Lady tehMa »

It's getting close to Halloween so of course people are posting about "cultural appropriation".

All I can say, is "get over yourself". What makes our country great is the multiculturalism. If I want to dress in punjabi cultural dress, who are you to say no? Indians - pardon me, aboriginals or whatever they're calling themselves nowadays - is also off the table. Is it okay if I embrace my pioneer origins and go as a cowboy? Nope, apparently that's racist, misogynistic AND too violent.

So how about this, all you cultural snowflakes: stop appropriating OUR culture. Hand in your cell phones and go back to your nomadic ways. Give up your coffee and computers, your homes insulated with fibreglass or mineral fibers, give up your cars and go back to horses or walking. Give up man made microfibres and oh hey, insulin! Give up all the benefits you reap, because after all, they aren't yours to take now, are they? How about you give up democracy?

If I want to do yoga or zumba, suck it up. If I want to eat ethnic food, suck it up. If I want to have fun at Halloween, suck it up - though I'd probably go as something steampunk. I have gone as a Japanese woman (in a bathrobe), I have been Sherherzade (judicious use of old slips). I have also been a bunny and a clown (oh, ubiquitous 70's costumes!). Point is, I'm dressing up! I'm cosplaying! I'm *gasp* having fun! What my costume is is none of your business, you nosy parkers, you finger wagging snot-nosed elitists, you whiny brats. When my daughter goes as a cleric don't give me crap about her mace (paper mache is NOT as easy as it looked), if my son wants to b a figure from a video game (Ezio from Assassins Creed) don't talk to me about violence. He saved up for that sword! When my daughter spent 2 weeks building gear out of cardboard and painting a jacket so she could go as a warrior from the manga/tv show "Attack on Titan" (Vilolent Japanese comic/show - cultural appropriation AND weapons!) I was quite proud of her - lots of people at the 'con asked for her pics.

I'm tired of the SJW's trying to ruin Halloween. So to all of you I say "Get Bent!". :up:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Post by Dizzy1 »

Can I get a hallelujah :smt045

Enough is enough of this crap :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

:up: :up: :up:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Lady tehMa wrote: I'm tired of the SJW's trying to ruin Halloween.

:135: Damn good rant, but I have to ask - where did all that come from?
Did I miss something (definitely possible)? Who's trying to ruin Halloween?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

A number of people I know (they're still friends, despite their leftist leanings) have been posting serious demands that people stop wearing certain types of costumes because it's "insensitive". :admin:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm going to facebook and posting "DRESS UP in anything you want!"

And your rant! :hailjo:

So tired of the PC -ness that has infected the fun of Halloween.

I don't want to worry about: Now if I dress up as a Princess, will Kate sue me? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Lady tehMa wrote:So how about this, all you cultural snowflakes: stop appropriating OUR culture. Hand in your cell phones and go back to your nomadic ways. Give up your coffee and computers, your homes insulated with fibreglass or mineral fibers, give up your cars and go back to horses or walking. Give up man made microfibres and oh hey, insulin! Give up all the benefits you reap, because after all, they aren't yours to take now, are they? How about you give up democracy?

You believe these things are white culture? :135:
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Lady tehMa wrote:A number of people I know (they're still friends, despite their leftist leanings) have been posting serious demands that people stop wearing certain types of costumes because it's "insensitive". :admin:

I'm of German ancestory. I have a brother who I was attending SFU with way back in the day. We are both over six feet, both with blue eyes, and while I have light brown hair his is blond. One year for Halloween we thought it would be kick-ass to get some Nazi uniforms and dress up as SS Officers. Thankfully we realized in time that would be in extreme poor taste.

Personally, I have a hard time seeing tactlessness as exclusively a left or right thing.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

JLives wrote:You believe these things are white culture? :135:

Now what caused you to stick that word "white" in there? I'm talking about North American culture. Admittedly, some stuff came from Europeans, but they didn't get all bent out of shape about people taking them and improving on them. Or just using them. The guy who developed insulin was Canadian - why should I know or care what his ethnicity was aside from that?

You kind of illustrate how the SJW's lump "white" all in together, as if we don't have any ethnicity of our own. I am a proud Canadian, with a whole bunch of different ethnicities in my makeup. If someone wants to make cabbage rolls, or scones, or bratwurst or haggis or any number of dishes, it won't offend me. It someone wants to wear a kilt, no biggie (Men in Kilts window cleaners, anyone? Oh noes, cultural appropriation!).

So yeah, why "white" culture? And what is "white" culture? What makes you say that?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Lady tehMa wrote:A number of people I know (they're still friends, despite their leftist leanings) have been posting serious demands that people stop wearing certain types of costumes because it's "insensitive". :admin:

I definitely haven't seen any specific opposition to Halloween from anybody. That being said, if there have been, I'm obviously on board with leaving it as it.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Lady tehMa wrote:You kind of illustrate how the SJW's lump "white" all in together, as if we don't have any ethnicity of our own. I am a proud Canadian, with a whole bunch of different ethnicities in my makeup. If someone wants to make cabbage rolls, or scones, or bratwurst or haggis or any number of dishes, it won't offend me. It someone wants to wear a kilt, no biggie (Men in Kilts window cleaners, anyone? Oh noes, cultural appropriation!).

Can you honestly not see the difference in making a culture's food, or celebrating their holidays and dressing up in black face for Halloween??

Now obviously there is a difference, but with saying that (and before everyone jumps down my throat for being a "SJW", I could not care less what you do for Halloween), I personally chose to wear costumes those kinds of costumes, but if you want to wear black face or be a geisha, go right ahead.
hail Satan y'all
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 25th, 2017, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Yes! That is it exactly!

These people are determined to suck all the fun out of Halloween. Let's indoctrinate people with a message of moral guilt for stuff we never had anything to do with.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Lady tehMa wrote:It's getting close to Halloween so of course people are posting about "cultural appropriation".

All I can say, is "get over yourself". What makes our country great is the multiculturalism. If I want to dress in punjabi cultural dress, who are you to say no? Indians - pardon me, aboriginals or whatever they're calling themselves nowadays - is also off the table. Is it okay if I embrace my pioneer origins and go as a cowboy? Nope, apparently that's racist, misogynistic AND too violent.

So how about this, all you cultural snowflakes: stop appropriating OUR culture. Hand in your cell phones and go back to your nomadic ways. Give up your coffee and computers, your homes insulated with fibreglass or mineral fibers, give up your cars and go back to horses or walking. Give up man made microfibres and oh hey, insulin! Give up all the benefits you reap, because after all, they aren't yours to take now, are they? How about you give up democracy?

If I want to do yoga or zumba, suck it up. If I want to eat ethnic food, suck it up. If I want to have fun at Halloween, suck it up - though I'd probably go as something steampunk. I have gone as a Japanese woman (in a bathrobe), I have been Sherherzade (judicious use of old slips). I have also been a bunny and a clown (oh, ubiquitous 70's costumes!). Point is, I'm dressing up! I'm cosplaying! I'm *gasp* having fun! What my costume is is none of your business, you nosy parkers, you finger wagging snot-nosed elitists, you whiny brats. When my daughter goes as a cleric don't give me crap about her mace (paper mache is NOT as easy as it looked), if my son wants to b a figure from a video game (Ezio from Assassins Creed) don't talk to me about violence. He saved up for that sword! When my daughter spent 2 weeks building gear out of cardboard and painting a jacket so she could go as a warrior from the manga/tv show "Attack on Titan" (Vilolent Japanese comic/show - cultural appropriation AND weapons!) I was quite proud of her - lots of people at the 'con asked for her pics.

I'm tired of the SJW's trying to ruin Halloween. So to all of you I say "Get Bent!". :up:

What SHE said!!!!!!!!! :130:
Non illegitimi carborundum est.

Return to “Social Concerns”