Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby Lady tehMa » Oct 24th, 2017, 7:17 pm

It's getting close to Halloween so of course people are posting about "cultural appropriation".

All I can say, is "get over yourself". What makes our country great is the multiculturalism. If I want to dress in punjabi cultural dress, who are you to say no? Indians - pardon me, aboriginals or whatever they're calling themselves nowadays - is also off the table. Is it okay if I embrace my pioneer origins and go as a cowboy? Nope, apparently that's racist, misogynistic AND too violent.

So how about this, all you cultural snowflakes: stop appropriating OUR culture. Hand in your cell phones and go back to your nomadic ways. Give up your coffee and computers, your homes insulated with fibreglass or mineral fibers, give up your cars and go back to horses or walking. Give up man made microfibres and oh hey, insulin! Give up all the benefits you reap, because after all, they aren't yours to take now, are they? How about you give up democracy?

If I want to do yoga or zumba, suck it up. If I want to eat ethnic food, suck it up. If I want to have fun at Halloween, suck it up - though I'd probably go as something steampunk. I have gone as a Japanese woman (in a bathrobe), I have been Sherherzade (judicious use of old slips). I have also been a bunny and a clown (oh, ubiquitous 70's costumes!). Point is, I'm dressing up! I'm cosplaying! I'm *gasp* having fun! What my costume is is none of your business, you nosy parkers, you finger wagging snot-nosed elitists, you whiny brats. When my daughter goes as a cleric don't give me crap about her mace (paper mache is NOT as easy as it looked), if my son wants to b a figure from a video game (Ezio from Assassins Creed) don't talk to me about violence. He saved up for that sword! When my daughter spent 2 weeks building gear out of cardboard and painting a jacket so she could go as a warrior from the manga/tv show "Attack on Titan" (Vilolent Japanese comic/show - cultural appropriation AND weapons!) I was quite proud of her - lots of people at the 'con asked for her pics.

I'm tired of the SJW's trying to ruin Halloween. So to all of you I say "Get Bent!". :up:
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

8 people like this post.
User avatar
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17279
Likes: 15635 posts
Liked in: 3869 posts
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby Dizzy1 » Oct 25th, 2017, 12:24 am

Can I get a hallelujah :smt045

Enough is enough of this crap :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

2 people like this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5133 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby Bsuds » Oct 25th, 2017, 6:11 am

:up: :up: :up:
If I agreed with you then we would both be wrong!
You are never too old to learn something stupid.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 42697
Likes: 8632 posts
Liked in: 10920 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby Ka-El » Oct 25th, 2017, 6:27 am

Lady tehMa wrote: I'm tired of the SJW's trying to ruin Halloween.

:135: Damn good rant, but I have to ask - where did all that come from?
Did I miss something (definitely possible)? Who's trying to ruin Halloween?
Who's dimples ?

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Guru
 
Posts: 5193
Likes: 2786 posts
Liked in: 4784 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby Lady tehMa » Oct 25th, 2017, 6:37 am

A number of people I know (they're still friends, despite their leftist leanings) have been posting serious demands that people stop wearing certain types of costumes because it's "insensitive". :admin:
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
User avatar
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17279
Likes: 15635 posts
Liked in: 3869 posts
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby Queen K » Oct 25th, 2017, 7:17 am

I'm going to facebook and posting "DRESS UP in anything you want!"

And your rant! :hailjo:

So tired of the PC -ness that has infected the fun of Halloween.

I don't want to worry about: Now if I dress up as a Princess, will Kate sue me? :135:
I hereby ban Trump, the Russian's monkey-Do, from my funeral. McCain had it right.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 53051
Likes: 12201 posts
Liked in: 12801 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby JLives » Oct 25th, 2017, 7:26 am

Lady tehMa wrote:So how about this, all you cultural snowflakes: stop appropriating OUR culture. Hand in your cell phones and go back to your nomadic ways. Give up your coffee and computers, your homes insulated with fibreglass or mineral fibers, give up your cars and go back to horses or walking. Give up man made microfibres and oh hey, insulin! Give up all the benefits you reap, because after all, they aren't yours to take now, are they? How about you give up democracy?


You believe these things are white culture? :135:
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 15756
Likes: 3190 posts
Liked in: 5684 posts
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 11:53 am

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby Ka-El » Oct 25th, 2017, 7:36 am

Lady tehMa wrote:A number of people I know (they're still friends, despite their leftist leanings) have been posting serious demands that people stop wearing certain types of costumes because it's "insensitive". :admin:

I'm of German ancestory. I have a brother who I was attending SFU with way back in the day. We are both over six feet, both with blue eyes, and while I have light brown hair his is blond. One year for Halloween we thought it would be kick-ass to get some Nazi uniforms and dress up as SS Officers. Thankfully we realized in time that would be in extreme poor taste.

Personally, I have a hard time seeing tactlessness as exclusively a left or right thing.
Who's dimples ?

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Guru
 
Posts: 5193
Likes: 2786 posts
Liked in: 4784 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby Lady tehMa » Oct 25th, 2017, 9:28 am

JLives wrote:You believe these things are white culture? :135:


Now what caused you to stick that word "white" in there? I'm talking about North American culture. Admittedly, some stuff came from Europeans, but they didn't get all bent out of shape about people taking them and improving on them. Or just using them. The guy who developed insulin was Canadian - why should I know or care what his ethnicity was aside from that?

You kind of illustrate how the SJW's lump "white" all in together, as if we don't have any ethnicity of our own. I am a proud Canadian, with a whole bunch of different ethnicities in my makeup. If someone wants to make cabbage rolls, or scones, or bratwurst or haggis or any number of dishes, it won't offend me. It someone wants to wear a kilt, no biggie (Men in Kilts window cleaners, anyone? Oh noes, cultural appropriation!).

So yeah, why "white" culture? And what is "white" culture? What makes you say that?
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
User avatar
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17279
Likes: 15635 posts
Liked in: 3869 posts
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby FreeRights » Oct 25th, 2017, 9:42 am

Lady tehMa wrote:A number of people I know (they're still friends, despite their leftist leanings) have been posting serious demands that people stop wearing certain types of costumes because it's "insensitive". :admin:

I definitely haven't seen any specific opposition to Halloween from anybody. That being said, if there have been, I'm obviously on board with leaving it as it.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
FreeRights
Guru
 
Posts: 5593
Likes: 306 posts
Liked in: 1973 posts
Joined: Oct 15th, 2007, 2:36 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby whatwhat » Oct 25th, 2017, 10:12 am

Lady tehMa wrote:You kind of illustrate how the SJW's lump "white" all in together, as if we don't have any ethnicity of our own. I am a proud Canadian, with a whole bunch of different ethnicities in my makeup. If someone wants to make cabbage rolls, or scones, or bratwurst or haggis or any number of dishes, it won't offend me. It someone wants to wear a kilt, no biggie (Men in Kilts window cleaners, anyone? Oh noes, cultural appropriation!).


Can you honestly not see the difference in making a culture's food, or celebrating their holidays and dressing up in black face for Halloween??

Now obviously there is a difference, but with saying that (and before everyone jumps down my throat for being a "SJW", I could not care less what you do for Halloween), I personally chose to wear costumes those kinds of costumes, but if you want to wear black face or be a geisha, go right ahead.
hail Satan y'all
whatwhat
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2916
Likes: 2639 posts
Liked in: 2015 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2009, 10:06 am

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby averagejoe » Oct 25th, 2017, 12:16 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 25th, 2017, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.
User avatar
averagejoe
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 12241
Likes: 2856 posts
Liked in: 2171 posts
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2007, 11:50 pm

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby The Green Barbarian » Oct 25th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
- Winston Churchill

Who's Dimples? Who's the MP for Kelowna? Both interesting questions that are hard to answer.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 28188
Likes: 12245 posts
Liked in: 16182 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby Lady tehMa » Oct 25th, 2017, 5:11 pm

Yes! That is it exactly!

These people are determined to suck all the fun out of Halloween. Let's indoctrinate people with a message of moral guilt for stuff we never had anything to do with.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
User avatar
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 17279
Likes: 15635 posts
Liked in: 3869 posts
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Postby Sige » Oct 25th, 2017, 6:58 pm

Lady tehMa wrote:It's getting close to Halloween so of course people are posting about "cultural appropriation".

All I can say, is "get over yourself". What makes our country great is the multiculturalism. If I want to dress in punjabi cultural dress, who are you to say no? Indians - pardon me, aboriginals or whatever they're calling themselves nowadays - is also off the table. Is it okay if I embrace my pioneer origins and go as a cowboy? Nope, apparently that's racist, misogynistic AND too violent.

So how about this, all you cultural snowflakes: stop appropriating OUR culture. Hand in your cell phones and go back to your nomadic ways. Give up your coffee and computers, your homes insulated with fibreglass or mineral fibers, give up your cars and go back to horses or walking. Give up man made microfibres and oh hey, insulin! Give up all the benefits you reap, because after all, they aren't yours to take now, are they? How about you give up democracy?

If I want to do yoga or zumba, suck it up. If I want to eat ethnic food, suck it up. If I want to have fun at Halloween, suck it up - though I'd probably go as something steampunk. I have gone as a Japanese woman (in a bathrobe), I have been Sherherzade (judicious use of old slips). I have also been a bunny and a clown (oh, ubiquitous 70's costumes!). Point is, I'm dressing up! I'm cosplaying! I'm *gasp* having fun! What my costume is is none of your business, you nosy parkers, you finger wagging snot-nosed elitists, you whiny brats. When my daughter goes as a cleric don't give me crap about her mace (paper mache is NOT as easy as it looked), if my son wants to b a figure from a video game (Ezio from Assassins Creed) don't talk to me about violence. He saved up for that sword! When my daughter spent 2 weeks building gear out of cardboard and painting a jacket so she could go as a warrior from the manga/tv show "Attack on Titan" (Vilolent Japanese comic/show - cultural appropriation AND weapons!) I was quite proud of her - lots of people at the 'con asked for her pics.

I'm tired of the SJW's trying to ruin Halloween. So to all of you I say "Get Bent!". :up:


What SHE said!!!!!!!!! :130:
Non illegitimi carborundum est.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
User avatar
Sige
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 916
Likes: 1164 posts
Liked in: 624 posts
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:45 pm
Location: Over here!

Next

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], DotBot and 0 guests