Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Halloween and Cultural Appropriation

Post by Thinktank »

Great thread.

that would be a good costume for a seven year old. it's scary.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

JLives wrote:
Lady tehMa wrote:So how about this, all you cultural snowflakes: stop appropriating OUR culture. Hand in your cell phones and go back to your nomadic ways. Give up your coffee and computers, your homes insulated with fibreglass or mineral fibers, give up your cars and go back to horses or walking. Give up man made microfibres and oh hey, insulin! Give up all the benefits you reap, because after all, they aren't yours to take now, are they? How about you give up democracy?

You believe these things are white culture? :135:

I’m actually puzzled at that part of Lady tehMa's post too, but not because of white culture but because of timing.
Why are you comparing "our culture" with "their culture" from centuries past?

Are you giving up your cell phones, guns, and push-up bras for muskets, swords, messenger pigeons, and leather knickers? Your fibreglass insulation for mud and straw? Your cars to horses or walking?

Just puzzled as to your comparisons as they don’t seem valid to me when you speak of snowflakes appropriating OUR culture.
We have all modernized so time-appropriate comparisons would be more effective for your argument.

I tend to somewhat agree with what I believe is the reason behind your rant. Just not the argument you give for it.

And, as another poster has already stated, when they decided at the last minute not to wear their Nazi uniform, while you have the right to wear something, don’t be surprised when someone has the corresponding right to be offended. We cannot control the feelings of others, so considering them as snowflakes is just as silly as them considering you as being racially or culturally insensitive for wearing something.....if such intolerance is not your intent.

I think someone dressing up as Hitler at a Jewish Halloween party or as Willie Pickton at a Downtown Eastside Halloween party would, in fact, be more purposefully making a stupid statement......and should not be surprised at how the "snowflakes" react at those parties.
You and 71 others Like this post
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Last edited by Queen K on Oct 30th, 2017, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

For instance, a recent article on Good Housekeeping points out an "Adult Granny Costume" for men. This, and other men-dressed-as-women gags, the article says, could be seen as transphobic. (The costume was removed from Walmart's website.)

From that same article linked above, I HAD to bring this to the forefront: How many of you guys would wear an "adult Granny Costume"?

I mean, you wouldn't have to buy one, go to any thrift store and voila, you can come up with granny stuff, but omigod, "transphobic" so Walmart pulled them off the website?

Why didn't Walmart just say, "grow up" and deal with it?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
spooker

Post by spooker »

Cultural appropriation is alright when offset by calling other people racist.

-- random Facebook user on my feed

And while my joke might be tasteless I can separate the motivations of actions as to not be offended easily ...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If you come over dressed as an adult Granny, I have no candy for you! That's all I can say!

Return to “Social Concerns”