Pitbulls, Eh?

The forum's Skid Road. DO NOT ENTER unless you're ready for a squabble.

Pitbulls, Eh?

Postby Blackhyper » Oct 25th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Funny I see it mentioned in the other thread about the fact it was not pitbulls in the attack on the little boys dog. Shame on the media and shame on castanet for perpetuating the stereotype. As for all the losers in the thread......typical. Get your facts before you remove all doubt that you are a fool.

Superkitty142 likes this post.
Blackhyper

Liked in: 11 posts

Re: Pitbulls, Eh?

Postby Scrobins94 » Oct 26th, 2017, 12:31 am

I don't hear much about chihuahuas going around killing other people's pets.

I am not saying pitbulls should be ridden of. But *bleep*, can't people just get other breeds of dogs going forward?
Scrobins94

Liked in: 44 posts

Postby ferri » Oct 26th, 2017, 5:33 am

Blackhyper wrote:Funny I see it mentioned in the other thread about the fact it was not pitbulls in the attack on the little boys dog. Shame on the media and shame on castanet for perpetuating the stereotype. As for all the losers in the thread......typical. Get your facts before you remove all doubt that you are a fool.

Did you watch the interview with a witness? It was the witness that said it was pitbulls.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... sly-killed
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 7824 posts

Postby Farmmaa » Oct 26th, 2017, 5:46 am

ferri wrote:
Did you watch the interview with a witness? It was the witness that said it was pitbulls.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... sly-killed

So then, it is acceptable for the media to simply print whatever people tell them without actually verifying to see if it is even remotely true ???

Castanet was WRONG in stating that this was a Pitbull attack and have once again opened up the bigotry, hate and rage against a breed of dogs that was not involved in the first place.
It was irresponsible reporting and the least they could do would be to write an apology and retraction instead of simply deleting the origin claim and sneaking in the actual breed without a word.

THIS garbage is a huge part of why dogs like Pitbulls have such a bad reputation. People can not identify different breeds....that has been proven over and over again.....and the media needs to stop printing false statements that only serve to perpetuate the hysteria.

Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2418 posts

Postby Fancy » Oct 26th, 2017, 6:00 am

I have to agree - it's all over Facebook now and other organizations do not amend their records.

I also have issue with the quotes being changed. Taylor Safinuk identified the dogs as pitbulls.
Last edited by Fancy on Oct 26th, 2017, 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 4833 posts

Postby Bsuds » Oct 26th, 2017, 6:21 am

Well you all know what the Media is like. If the person said "well the dogs looked like Pit Bulls" they would immediately run with that before checking facts.

Fancy likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 8904 posts

Postby ferri » Oct 26th, 2017, 7:17 am

They updated the article with actual breed.

Two Mastiff-Presa Canario dogs viciously killed a small dog in Mission Creek Greenway Sunday, and the owners have until Wednesday afternoon to claim them.

A family was walking with their small dog, which belonged to a five-year-old autistic boy, about 1:30 p.m. when the attack happened.

The Mastiff-Presa Canarios “were tied up and unattended, and attacked the small dog, severely injuring it,” said Bruce Smith with the Regional District of Central Okanagan.
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby Retrosnap » Oct 26th, 2017, 7:28 am

So...two dogs, sometimes owned by people of questionable character, that have been known to attack and kill...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Diane_Whipple

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tw ... og-3639842

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2012/08/2012-d ... bulls.html

maxresdefault.jpg

Were mistaken for pitbulls, also sometimes owned by people of questionable character, which have also been known to attack and kill.

https://thewalrus.ca/pit-bulls-are-not-our-friends/

http://www.unz.com/isteve/pit-bulls-acc ... atalities/

Golden-Pit-Bull-Dog-In-Garden.jpg

Yeah...sorry about the confusion

ETA...my comment about "questionable character" does not suggest that responsible owners of these dogs are bad people. They key is responsible. Too many people use dogs like this as an extension of their "badass".
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Liked in: 339 posts

Postby Fancy » Oct 26th, 2017, 7:43 am

ferri wrote:They updated the article with actual breed.
I read that - the dogs were Mastiff-Presa Canario mixes. My point was the original article should not have quoted Taylor directly - the media already had the video.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Postby ferri » Oct 26th, 2017, 8:05 am

What would really have helped would have been if the owner had stuck around to identify the breed.

GoStumpy likes this post.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby GoStumpy » Oct 26th, 2017, 8:18 am

Fancy wrote:
ferri wrote:They updated the article with actual breed.
I read that - the dogs were Mastiff-Presa Canario mixes. My point was the original article should not have quoted Taylor directly - the media already had the video.

They sure as *bleep* look like a pitbull mix to me.. I'm not alone in saying that I could have made the same mistake
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.

mexi cali likes this post.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 441 posts

Postby Fancy » Oct 26th, 2017, 8:22 am

Where did you see a picture of the dogs? I can point to a photo of one that looks more like a Great Dane.

ferri wrote:What would really have helped would have been if the owner had stuck around to identify the breed.

He knew he wasn't getting his dogs back when he said they weren't his dogs. (I'm going out a limb here and assuming they were his dogs). I haven't seen them so I can't comment on what they looked like but the mastiffs and mastiff crosses I have seen don't look like pitbulls. There is a long list of molosser-type dogs and some of these dogs are quite impressive. They are working dogs and, as any dog, should be trained and socialized properly. I don't get why these two dogs were on a what seems to be a coupler - I may be mistaken there but two dogs on one chain?
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Postby alanjh595 » Oct 26th, 2017, 8:48 am

Presa Canario
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 443 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Oct 26th, 2017, 9:49 am

It's a well earned stereotype or reputation, whatever ya wanna call it.
Kill one your a murderer, kill a few your a serial killer .
Further breeding of these dogs should be illegal.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1390 posts

Postby Fancy » Oct 26th, 2017, 9:55 am

jimmy4321 wrote:It's a well earned stereotype or reputation, whatever ya wanna call it.
Kill one your a murderer, kill a few your a serial killer .
Further breeding of these dogs should be illegal.

There are a lot of people that own molosser-type dogs that have zero issue. It is not in anyone's best interest to deny breeding of dozens of breeds.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Next

Return to Bickering Room