What is the Alt-Right?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

What is the Alt-Right?

Postby Glacier » Oct 26th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 7717 posts

Re: What is the Alt-Right?

Postby Verum » Oct 26th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Can you take anyone who claims that "pioneer spirit, entrepreneurial drive, the acceptance of personal responsibility .. are uniquely American ideas, uniquely conservative ideas" seriously?
Since I am an entrepreneur, who takes personal responsibility and pioneers new technology and science, does that make me American? If not, this guy is talking out of his behind.
Add to that, the absurd idea that the alt-right rejects the Christian God (many, if not most, don't), is similar to the left and has "nothing in common with conservatism", and PU should be embarrassed to turn out this kind of sloppy and illogical thinking.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Board Meister

Liked in: 271 posts

Postby Laurane » Oct 27th, 2017, 8:20 am

It is a fake construct by the Left to name their "enemy", which is anyone who doesn't think like they do......and these "righties live in all countries and are growing in numbers, which is a real problem for the liberals.

Actually they are just the normal people who want to be left alone to live and work and grow without much .gov interference, which is happening under Pres Trump and the new leaders in Europe who are getting away from big .gov leadership. He is just the tip of the spear and leading it.
Laurane

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Verum » Oct 27th, 2017, 9:38 am

Laurane wrote:It is a fake construct by the Left to name their "enemy", which is anyone who doesn't think like they do......and these "righties live in all countries and are growing in numbers, which is a real problem for the liberals.

Actually they are just the normal people who want to be left alone to live and work and grow without much .gov interference, which is happening under Pres Trump and the new leaders in Europe who are getting away from big .gov leadership. He is just the tip of the spear and leading it.

What you are describing, small government, is actually not alt-right at all, but just conservatism or libertarianism. Alt-right is a term made up to describe some who traditionally fell under the right-wing umbrella but who no longer feel so supported. They include right-wing nationalists (think fascist-lite), anti-feminists (misogynists), anti-lgbtq rights activists, etc. It is mostly people who are against the traditional left-wing social causes and want to revert to old-time bigotry. Yes, that is a judgement call, but they are not modern conservatives, nor do they put the economy or the individual ahead of social issues, which means they are not fiscal conservatives, so I have no time or respect for them. I think it is fair to say that they are generally social-Darwinists. Alt-right are certainly not small government and may well be big government in the same way that Fascists tend to be.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply

2 people like this post.
Verum
Board Meister

Liked in: 271 posts

Return to Social Concerns