Question for Native members

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Question for Native members

Postby Darkre » Oct 28th, 2017, 11:06 am

I'm seeking a response from Native members of these boards, politically active would be even better. Response either in the thread or private message would be appreciated. If you are not Native I'd like to ask you to please withhold your opinion until at least a few responses have been posted. Thank You

I took my young son to a Powwow in Kelowna a few months back. He absolutely loved it. The music, song, outfits and especially the dance captivated him. We were going through the pictures on my phone the other day, and upon seeing the pics and video from the powwow, he asked if he could dress like one of the dancers (specifically his favourite from the event). Fortunately we already had a costume for him (from his favourite cartoon) so we didn't have to cross this bridge but it got me thinking.

Is it still disrespectful to your culture if someone wishes to dress up in your costume out of love and appreciation for what they have seen at an event like a powwow? I fully understand how the sexy outfits would be offensive and should not be worn but this was a child who wanted to dress up like someone he holds in the same regard as superheroes. Is it just too difficult to differentiate so it's just safer to say no regardless of the situation?

Finally, are there any books that you could recommend for an early grade school child that celebrate and highlight some of your cultures from around the province or country?

Thank you for your time
Darkre
Board Meister

Liked in: 55 posts

Re: Question for Native members

Postby alanjh595 » Oct 28th, 2017, 12:13 pm

Anyone of all races, creeds and colours SHOULD be honoured for your child's recognition of their people. ESPECIALLY when it is done respectfully and with admiration in their heart. Maybe more adults SHOULD see others through the eyes of a child. MAYBE they will gain some perspective and a renewed interest in that culture and history. You should be very proud to have such a open minded and accepting child to learn from.
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 444 posts

Return to Social Concerns