How to test stoned drivers?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: How to test stoned drivers?

Post by Catsumi »

Speaking for myself, I would prefer that my surgeon or the pilot in charge of aircraft I'm in, not using pot or be an imbiber of spirits.

Not that I have any control whatsoever.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

There needs to be a sobriety test and that's it. They can't use these little devices to check THC levels or use that as a basis as 'maximum thc' or whatever, it isn't that cut and dry.

Some people could smoke an ounce and you wouldn't even know it, they could run laps around you and outperform even the best drivers, then there are some people that have one toke and they become completely useless and off their rocker. And this applies to long-term chronic smokers as well so it makes no diff if they've smoked daily for the last 30 years, the one toker useless guy is definitely out there and would be a major danger on the roads.

I get really tired of hearing from some of the chronic smokers that think weed is not going to cause an issue on the road for the chronic smokers', BS, you don't know that. To make a comparison think of alcoholics, some build up an immunity to alcohol and could easily drive like a pro even with 10 beers in their system, another alcoholic might have 2 beers and be a major hazard on the road. It makes no difference how much you drink or smoke, the effects are different for everyone.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

gman313 wrote:Ya that is not what DarkMagna said at all. I agree with their comment. Point is people who want to smoke marijuana already are. Will the number go up a bit after legalization, who knows, look to Colorado i'm sure it will be similar.

But there will not be many more, if any, stoned drivers on the roads on July 2, 2018 than on June 30, 2018. It is a good point.

I agree
If you like to drink your drinking Today , if you like to smoke marijuana your smoking Today - both are readily available to ALL.
How do people think Canada got to the point of legalization?

As mentioned earlier there will need to be some sobriety test otherwise people will say the existing testing can be used to target certain groups (age,ethnic,financial,etc), when you consider THC could possibly be detected weeks after consumption of a regular user.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Before roadside breathalyzers were widely used, the police managed somehow didn't they? So I am sure they can come up with some screening method (besides just odor of pot) to select whomever for further testing or charging. Maybe a roadside handheld video test of reflexes or reaction time. (Tested for effectiveness ahead of time of course). If you flunk that, then maybe cause for further test . As long as the procedure is effective and fairly applied, it's better than nothing. If an officer saw someone driving erratically they can stop them at any rate, so that is a pretty good road test right there, regardless of what person is impaired by.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

Idiots will still be idiots and but police already can deal with impared drivers of cannabis or really any other drugs. More DRE (Drug recognition experts) will be needed but the nice thing is they do an actual sobriety test not just assume because you have a drug in your system you are impaired. I'm all for keeping impaired drivers off the road. I'm more than fine with officers having to put some effort in to prove actual impairment instead of just punishing all medical and recreational users for consuming legal cannabis in their recent history but who are not a current risk to society.
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/wrps-pot-marijuana-legalization-drug-drive-sober-1.4277929
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Catsumi wrote:Speaking for myself, I would prefer that my surgeon or the pilot in charge of aircraft I'm in, not using pot or be an imbiber of spirits.

Not that I have any control whatsoever.

I think we all agree they should not be using near the time that they need to perform.
The question is, should they never or ever have a drink or joint on their off time, when not performing their duties?
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

All cops should carry a bag of Dorito's. Open and let the occupant smell the contents of the Dorito bag.... If they reach in, BOOK'EM! :up: :hailjo:
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Damn. Beat me to it [icon_lol2.gif]
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

alanjh595 wrote:Those are all very relevant and important questions. I guess that until the LEVEL of THC can be determined in the blood stream and can be determined as to the time of ingestion prior to being tested, there should be a zero tolerance. Likewise, for example, if a forklift driver had just smoked a big fatty during coffee break and was seen giggling behind the wheel of the forklift with a man on the ground placing dunnage for him, how confident would they guy that is in the danger zone feel?

But thats the point. Your trying to apply a stereo type to reality. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 7th, 2017, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bait removed.

Return to “Social Concerns”