Are we happy where Canada is headed?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Postby Popeye69 » Nov 1st, 2017, 9:32 pm

Been awhile since I had a good ol fashion rant. Here we go!

Are we happy where Canada is headed? Seems like things are getting worse socially almost daily. I have to say right off the top here I don't hate gays, my religious belief doesn't agree with it, but what you do with yourself is your business.. I'm not racist, ya I'm white so I'm told to hang my head in shame daily by the media for things I've never done, the only privilege I see being white is to pay lot's of taxes..
Every T.V show now there are gay people making out or kissing, every game show they have the token gay person, schools now are pressing big time some Sochi? program that teaches kids it's OK to "explore" at a young age... Is it me or are we moving a little fast here? We are making quite large social concessions for a fraction of the population.
When I was in school we were taught about racism and bullying, I don't know why we don't just treat the LGBT issues the same way. Yes explain their situation, history and hardships they face, but please don't confuse my kid anymore than they already are at that age and force a lifestyle on my children.. Same with T.V, your gay that's great..awesome.. but do I have to see it now on every single channel?? It's gay overload. Smothered in gay. When does all of it begin to infringe on my rights? Especially my rights as a parent..
Immigrants... well... I'm all for helping people but what we are doing is concerning, the Trudeau plan to bring 400k people in a year is crazy! Our healthcare system sucks, taxes are high, prices are going up everyday, what about our homeless and poverty? What about our maxed out education system, crumbling infrastructure? I heard some lady on CBC News say Canada has lots of room and more than enough, we're a wealthy nation..I wonder where shes living. She must like taxes too cause we all gotta pay for helping some of our new citizens, and ya, in case you didn't know, if you don't want immigrants here your racist according to the media... You think ICBC is expensive now haha! Ohh thats offensive... That's another thing... we can't say anything anymore. You have an opinion (which your entitled to) about anything from gays to immigration your unfairly labelled a homophobic and a racist, you are are ostracised on social media and if you have a business or public figure you might as well quit when they get done with you. If you are white you constantly hear how good we got it, how lucky we are, how privileged...it's almost racist. White people are poor too. Native Americans constantly say on the media they want to have reconciliation and get the dialogue going BUT the second anyone who's white opens their mouth they're a racist and trying to force colonial views upon them..Makes no sense, we can't even talk...How do we figure anything out if we can't talk? Trudeau just throws money at them which doesn't help.. Don't dare turn on CNN, if it ain't about Trump it's about they're never ending strive to battle racism, they cant talk to each other about their issues either. It's pure craziness when does this madness end? You see on the news now daily someone is suing someone, someone is calling out someone else for whatever...someones a homophobe, someones a racist, freedom of speech is freedom of speech, it's a right not a privilege. If you don't like what someone has to say you have every right not to listen. Everyday our freedom of speech is attacked and eroded, you won't know it's gone until it's gone...is it gone already? Think about it...everything offends these days...you almost don't dare say anything to anyone... you certainly don't dare to have an opinion... Hell these days I'm scared to talk to my wife haha ohhh better not go there. kidding.. See? I'm sure someone got offended, can't even joke around. People get offended waaay too easy.
When did we lose? When did we lose our sanity? When did we lose our culture? When did we lose our right to an opinion?
When did we lose our steadfastness? Our values... Our grit and stiff upper lip? Our Thick skin?
I miss the 80's and the 90's
cartoons where cool then... What I see now...my goodness.
Anyways..

***My views and beliefs are my own, in no way is it my intent to offend or attack anyone or any group of people.***
I apologise if anyone was offended. Yay Canada.
Popeye69
Board Meister

Liked in: 27 posts

Re: Are we happy where Canada is headed?

Postby StraitTalk » Nov 1st, 2017, 10:43 pm

Popeye69 wrote:Been awhile since I had a good ol fashion rant. Here we go!

Are we happy where Canada is headed? Seems like things are getting worse socially almost daily. I have to say right off the top here I don't hate gays, my religious belief doesn't agree with it, but what you do with yourself is your business.. I'm not racist, ya I'm white so I'm told to hang my head in shame daily by the media for things I've never done, the only privilege I see being white is to pay lot's of taxes..
Every T.V show now there are gay people making out or kissing, every game show they have the token gay person, schools now are pressing big time some Sochi? program that teaches kids it's OK to "explore" at a young age... Is it me or are we moving a little fast here? We are making quite large social concessions for a fraction of the population.
When I was in school we were taught about racism and bullying, I don't know why we don't just treat the LGBT issues the same way. Yes explain their situation, history and hardships they face, but please don't confuse my kid anymore than they already are at that age and force a lifestyle on my children.. Same with T.V, your gay that's great..awesome.. but do I have to see it now on every single channel?? It's gay overload. Smothered in gay. When does all of it begin to infringe on my rights? Especially my rights as a parent..
Immigrants... well... I'm all for helping people but what we are doing is concerning, the Trudeau plan to bring 400k people in a year is crazy! Our healthcare system sucks, taxes are high, prices are going up everyday, what about our homeless and poverty? What about our maxed out education system, crumbling infrastructure? I heard some lady on CBC News say Canada has lots of room and more than enough, we're a wealthy nation..I wonder where shes living. She must like taxes too cause we all gotta pay for helping some of our new citizens, and ya, in case you didn't know, if you don't want immigrants here your racist according to the media... You think ICBC is expensive now haha! Ohh thats offensive... That's another thing... we can't say anything anymore. You have an opinion (which your entitled to) about anything from gays to immigration your unfairly labelled a homophobic and a racist, you are are ostracised on social media and if you have a business or public figure you might as well quit when they get done with you. If you are white you constantly hear how good we got it, how lucky we are, how privileged...it's almost racist. White people are poor too. Native Americans constantly say on the media they want to have reconciliation and get the dialogue going BUT the second anyone who's white opens their mouth they're a racist and trying to force colonial views upon them..Makes no sense, we can't even talk...How do we figure anything out if we can't talk? Trudeau just throws money at them which doesn't help.. Don't dare turn on CNN, if it ain't about Trump it's about they're never ending strive to battle racism, they cant talk to each other about their issues either. It's pure craziness when does this madness end? You see on the news now daily someone is suing someone, someone is calling out someone else for whatever...someones a homophobe, someones a racist, freedom of speech is freedom of speech, it's a right not a privilege. If you don't like what someone has to say you have every right not to listen. Everyday our freedom of speech is attacked and eroded, you won't know it's gone until it's gone...is it gone already? Think about it...everything offends these days...you almost don't dare say anything to anyone... you certainly don't dare to have an opinion... Hell these days I'm scared to talk to my wife haha ohhh better not go there. kidding.. See? I'm sure someone got offended, can't even joke around. People get offended waaay too easy.
When did we lose? When did we lose our sanity? When did we lose our culture? When did we lose our right to an opinion?
When did we lose our steadfastness? Our values... Our grit and stiff upper lip? Our Thick skin?
Anyways..

***My views and beliefs are my own, in no way is it my intent to offend or attack anyone or any group of people.***

You're hitting on about 20 different topics here man, that's a hell of a rant. May I offer my perspective as a 20-something "millennial"? I'll focus on the topics that are highly polarised.

I think context and perspective are really important here, and I won't pretend to have any more than you do. As far as the topic of homosexuality, you pose a highly debated question about when we should start talking to children about homosexuality. My own sister grew up to realise she was gay, in a home where her family refused to believe it and instead labelled it as a cry for attention. I almost lost my sister because of this. This is not too long ago. I personally believe I am miles ahead of most people in my understanding and appreciation of homosexuality, but not too long ago, I was pretty ignorant... so I can't confidently say we're past or even close to proper education levels on this matter. I can also tell you, confidently, that early education on homosexuality is not going to turn people gay, and even if it did (and it doesn't), I still don't see the problem.

On the topic of immigration, I say we have so much to learn. I'm not willing to be specific because anonymity is important to me, but I operate a small team (about 15 employees) for my work. I am incredibly proud of getting to where I am at a young age, and I respect the responsibility I have deeply. Finding good workers is an art, and over time, I have come to find that my hardest working people are almost always immigrants. From a purely capitalist standpoint, we need more immigrants, because they're setting some seriously great examples for our entitled locals.

From a more broad standpoint, I still don't see the harm and I am proud to live in a country that is inviting decent, honest people inside its borders as haven from war-stricken areas of the world. I put myself in those peoples shoes, and I immediately understand the need for countries like Canada in ensuring the world as a whole continues to move forward. This became crystal clear for me after studying the second world war and understanding what people went through. Canada does not take the same approach as other countries when it comes to immigration. Canada has an extensive and thorough vetting system to help ensure the good can get in and the bad stay out. It's not perfect, and how could it ever be?

You want to talk about how we stop terrorism, well I'll tell you, it starts by not doing everything it is that puts people into social situations where they turn to terrorism as an outlet, and by taking people out of those situations and showing the world your only interest is the welfare of humans, and not your economy. There will always be people who will turn to terror to push their agenda, regardless of what we do, but we can curb it with advocacy and charity or we can curb it with bombs dropped on schools - that choice is still ours.

I agree with you on the topic of political correctness, but please respect our recent history - I'm talking about even just the last 100 years - and understand that PC is necessary, but critical thinking will keep it on track.

I personally am most saddened by one thing more than any other, and that is our peoples focus on the superficial, the unimportant drama, media, smoke and mirrors going on.. the headlines, so to speak. This becomes no more apparent to me than when election time comes. The vast majority of people my age cannot talk about politics. They really don't know what's going on. Many can't identify what the "left" and the "right" means. Many cannot identify the implications of voting in one party vs. another. At its worst, people don't voter because they're ashamed they don't know who to vote for, or if they do, they go with what seems "right" in that moment, which is why we see things like the ping-pong politics of the USA where once we've had enough of one party, we move on to the next, and back, and forth... forever and ever..

Critical thinking is not where it could be, and people feel powerless to affect change, which is why guys like Trump get voted in.

If there's one piece of advice I would give every child, it's turn off the news and start trying to prove yourself wrong, in every aspect of life, at every turn, on every subject. When you are prepared to be wrong, you will find the truth.

4 people like this post.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 268 posts

Postby LANDM » Nov 2nd, 2017, 3:31 am

When something starts with "I don’t hate <insert group> but........

Or
"I’m all for <insert topic> but.......

I always wonder if the person writing or saying it actually believes what they are saying and if they don’t realize they are being so transparent.

But, a good disqualifier at the end makes it all better....."these statements are not meant to offend anyone". :biggrin:

Oh well, these are certainly sentiments which got Trump elected.

"Smothered in gay".......heheheh.....the visualization of this person's life makes me chuckle. It must be an odd feeling to walk around all day being smothered in gay. But, luckily he/she doesn’t hate them. Then it would really suck.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 2359 posts

Postby Grandan » Nov 2nd, 2017, 6:00 am

Your rant would be easier to read if you separated your ideas into separate paragraphs.
You no doubt are aware that the arts community is gay friendly and always has been. By extension, TV and movies attract gay people for work because it is a gay friendly environment .It is no wonder then that scripts are slanted towards gay because that is their experience. If you continue to subscribe to the shows that feature gay then that is what you will continue to see, over and over. Now, the latest one, transgender.
The influx of immigrant of 1 million immigrants over the next 3 years will help make up for the fact that Canadians will not be able to produce enough children to cover for them in their old age. We need immigrants to do the work when we are old.
Immigrants arrive here with multiple children and with skills that Canadians don't have and are willing to do jobs that Canadians don't want to do. This is far better for Canada than the thousands of useless Canadian young adults who believe the world owes them a living.
Young Canadians are raising dogs instead of kids. They are out having fun instead of building a future. They are borrowing money that they can not possibly pay back. They are burning through relationships like there is no tomorrow.
I watch CNN several times per day, I think it is highly informative. They interview learned people about important current topics.
Waste not
Grandan
Übergod

Liked in: 549 posts

Postby youjustcomplain » Nov 2nd, 2017, 7:43 am

Quite the read. Can't say I agree with anything of what you wrote. I don't know if it was your intention, but you came across as entitled, ignorant and intolerant.

Bring on the gay immigrants for all I care.

When did we lose our values? It would appear that "we" don't share values, so I'm not sure how "we' lost them. Canadians are a mix bag, all having different values. It's just diversity.

JayByrd likes this post.
youjustcomplain
Board Meister

Liked in: 289 posts

Postby Jonrox » Nov 2nd, 2017, 2:00 pm

Popeye69 wrote: I have to say right off the top here I don't hate gays, my religious belief doesn't agree with it, but what you do with yourself is your business.

I have to say right off the top here I don’t hate people of Popeye69’s religion, my belief is that it’s complete and utter horse manure, but what you do with yourself is your business.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1547 posts

Postby Ka-El » Nov 2nd, 2017, 7:04 pm

I’m happy with the way Canada is heading overall. Sure, there are a number of xenophobes and so-called “populists” (assuming to speak for ordinary people) around who would rather we be headed in the direction of having an “ethnostate”, but I’ve always valued diversity believing it enriches and strengthens us. I also believe the vast majority of Canadians side with me on this. This is one of the things that makes us Canada. Our overall tolerance as Canadians, and our value for diversity and inclusion is just one of the things that sets us apart and above our twisted and sick neighbor to the south. Anyone think that would be preferable, please don’t let any of us dissuade you from leaving.

Change is inevitable. Evolution, including social, political and cultural evolution is inevitable. When we accept there is going to be change, we can adjust accordingly. Canada is a country that has always depended on immigration (including refugees), and has reached a demographic situation (crisis?) where we are going to be as dependent on immigration (and refugees) as ever. Fortunately, we are already cooperating with the United States and taking a continental approach to security and any refugee entering Canada has been vetted as carefully as any refugee granted entry to the States. This is the truth. And these are the people that are going to continue driving Canada’s economy forward, and their taxes will fund our health care system and pensions. Yes, this also means our country will ultimately become “less white”, maybe even less Christian. So what? Gonna have to deal with it.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives.
It is the one that is the most adaptable to change
.” - Charles Darwin

The option of resisting or fighting change, popular amongst the xenophobic conservative forces of populism and nationalism leads to divisiveness and polarization, fosters intolerance and even hate, and left to run its course will lead to violence, possibly even world war. The alternative are societies that are accepting of all; regardless of race, age, gender, gender identity, or sexual preference. In our country, each and every culture is encouraged to keep aspects of their traditional identity, but not compromise Canadian law as set out by duly elected governance. We have so much potential as a country if we focus on inclusion, education and understanding.

If democratic civilization still exists in 100 years, it will be because humans were able to realize JLive’s dream of a borderless planet. An exciting vision to be sure, one that includes extensive modern transportation systems across the globe, cities without cars (won’t be needed), adaptions to climate change and humankind venturing out into the stars. Should we not be able to stop the destructive tide of "populism", I suspect we can eventually expect another world war, and humans (if any are left) devolving to the time of tribes.
Donald Trump: woefully unsuitable, unqualified and unfit to be president

3 people like this post.
Ka-El
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2568 posts

Postby HP » Nov 3rd, 2017, 9:05 am

It seems strange to be responding to a thread titled, "are we happy where Canada is headed" that has a bunch of references to Trump and CNN --- but I digress early.

People love to yearn for the good old days but they weren't THAT good and they weren't THAT long ago.

In the 80's there was still the persistent threat of nuclear war with the USSR. There was a good old fashioned "us v.s. them" fight to be had and it kept social matters from being the most important on the radar. The issues were always there but somehow the possibility of being nuked made them a little less important. Inflation was crazy - interests rates on mortgages spiraled out of control and people were losing houses. The AIDS epidemic was in full swing. These matters seem trivial in hindsight but they were a big deal at the time.

As for the immigrant question, in 2016 senior citizens outnumbered children for the first time in Canadian history. This is a big deal - a really big deal. Seniors don't drive growth like child-bearing couples and growth is what creates jobs. The economy needs to transact cash for goods and services if for no other reason than the pay to maintain the crumbling schools you talk about. If we can't rely on the senior population to drive the kind of economic growth we need, where will it come from?

On that topic, what makes the 400k immigrant plan crazy, exactly? (by the way, the number is 360k but I can agree that's just splitting hairs) Canada has welcomed between 200 and 250k immigrants almost every single year since 1992 (a decade you lament so dearly) so really the net new number of immigrants we're taking about is 150k at the high end. This is a small increase in the whole scheme of things and when you look at it in terms of immigration as a proportion of population, the intake ratio is actually falling (i.e. per capita we're welcoming fewer immigrants than we were 20 years ago)

The aboriginal issue has been an issue since before 1982 and will be an issue for a long time to come until we settle the treaty rights guaranteed in section 35 of the constitution - and this is a matter of significant importance. Incidentally, freedom of speech is not guaranteed in our constitution or our laws - it's called 'freedom of expression' and it has limits.

So, is there a possibility that Canada is 'headed' in a direction that's just fine but the fact that the guy in charge wears a red tie instead of a blue one has tainted perspectives?

Ka-El likes this post.
HP
Board Meister

Liked in: 81 posts

Postby Rider59 » Nov 3rd, 2017, 11:19 am

Ya, about as happy as a pig in sh.....
Rider59
Board Meister

Liked in: 339 posts

Postby Sige » Nov 3rd, 2017, 12:11 pm

Anyways..

I don't even know where to start.............................. :dash:
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Sige
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 566 posts

Postby mandk » Nov 11th, 2017, 8:15 am

Nope,canada is really going down hill fast.trudeau is certainly helping with destroying canada. I find it amusing that when you have a view that isn't pc,the liberals immediately call you racist,homophobic,bigot. This generally means they have no argument,resort to insulting you.i bothers me that you can't have a reasonable discussion on differing views.

As for immigration,why not encourage Canadians to have more kids, maybe stop killing them?
Seems pretty simple to me :130:

As for gays,why does it always have to be in your face?
Leave the damn kids alone , parents choice when AND where.no you don't know better than the parents.
I don't understand why you think your better than other people that don't agree .

And don't be afraid to offend people,it's ok .we need more people to speak their mind instead of being afraid to speak up.
Lastly, an open mind is like an open wound,it just catches any disease that comes along :biggrin:
mandk

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Verum » Nov 11th, 2017, 10:51 am

There are some great things happening today with Canada. We are starting to focus on other trading partners more as we realise we cannot rely on our Southern neighbours. This will make us stronger and give us access to more dynamic markets. We are taking some steps to resolve issues around are less than stellar history and as we all know, injuries when tended to heal quicker than those left to fester.
Unfortunately, Canadians seem to be more and more resentful towards those who come here to make Canada even stronger. Our immigrants seem to have less of a welcome today than in the past, but they are hard working and contribute hugely to our economy and society. At the same time, there seems to be less drive to make economic progress and success among Canadians. There is almost an air of entitlement around jobs, including those who complain that we should give important jobs to inept Canadians rather than exceptional immigrants. Of course we should, all other things being equal, give a job to a Canadian, but It rarely is equal. Another great advantage of immigrants is that they tend to arrive educated and that means less tax spent on education, childhood costs, etc. for the economic benefit received.
Our move to a more open and permissive society will allow us to take advantage of associated economic activities. I only wish we had been on the forefront of pot legalisation so Canadian businesses and subsidiaries could have been the ones to dominate the North American market.
The biggest problems I see in Canada today are the lack of local competition and common anti-competitive policies as adopted by our governments. It is extremely short-sighted to favour BC wines in stores, have a monopoly in car insurance, allow for artificial monopolies in telecommunications, etc.
Our education system and associated cost of receiving a higher education are likely to be huge barriers to growing a capable and informed workforce in an increasingly well educated World. We need to get these costs under control, and provide appropriate incentives for students to achieve greatness and drive forward our engineering, sciences, healthcare, arts and financial industries. Without these, our ability to stay relevant as a country in the future will be hugely curtailed.
We have a great country, let's keep it that way
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Board Meister

Liked in: 275 posts

Postby MAPearce » Nov 11th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Canada isn't back... Canada is going backwards....

Has been since he was elected , will be till he''s gone....

Straight up ..
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

3 people like this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 3173 posts

Postby the truth » Nov 12th, 2017, 8:53 am

yap :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4327 posts

Postby hobbyguy » Nov 12th, 2017, 12:42 pm

I think we could all find things we don't like about Canada, but to be honest we are a pretty dang fine country in an imperfect world.

Travel around the world a bit, there aren't many countries that look attractive by comparison. Yes, you will find countries who do a better job of this particular thing, or that particular thing, but in an imperfect world Canada seems to be pretty darn good - and if you pay attention, Canada continues to aspire to be better.

Yes, we have lots to work on. Perfection is an aspiration, and one person's view of what is a good thing is another's anathema.

What we can't lose sight of is that "left", "right" and all the other distinctions we draw are our own constructs. The beauty of Canada is that we are allowed those constructs, and seek for all to have greater prosperity. Most of our arguments are over past mistakes, misperceptions, artificial divisions, and labels.

If you look at how we do in the world of imperfections, Canada has much to proud of, much to recommend it, and much that needs to done to be a better country. We are progressing, we are getting better. Some things will never be the same - you can't go back.

Perhaps the most dispassionate view comes from the outside, and this is one I find useful: http://www.prosperity.com/rankings

You will note that Canada is near the top of the heap, and pretty much top of the heap in a very important category - "Personal Freedom".

IF you look at the rankings, you will see that there are trade offs.

The most striking one is "Security" versus "Personal Freedom". Singapore is #1 in "Security" - but #97 in "Personal Freedom". Canada is #22 in "Security" - but #2 in "Personal Freedom".

Pretty sure that you get differing opinions on every category, but the best we can hope for is a balance that works for the vast majority.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis
hobbyguy
Guru

Liked in: 5651 posts

Next

Return to Social Concerns