Are we happy where Canada is headed?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Are we happy where Canada is headed?

Postby Verum » Nov 12th, 2017, 7:58 pm

That ranking is interesting. If you eliminate the columns except for Safety and Security, and Personal Freedom, you basically get a list where the top 25 are all countries where I would quite happily live and almost none of the remainder are places I would. Canada is 6th in that list to Luxembourg, Iceland, New Zealand, Netherlands, and Ireland, all great countries. The rest of the top 10 are Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland. I noticed a common theme, :cuss: weather.

If the current political party in power is the reason that you think we are, or are not headed in the right direction, you may wish to put down the partisan political kool-aid. Under Harper, we were heading in the right direction, and under Trudeau the same is true. Neither man, nor their party is so completely controlling and messed up that they were or are going to screw us up.

:topic:
It is my opinion that partisans, increasingly bold extremists, such as the extreme followers of the Rebel and Jordan Peterson or the members of Antifa, who are getting too much exposure and are twisting the political discourse away from sensible discussion to something more worthy of the primates enclosure at a zoo. I feel that this is the biggest way that Canada is not heading in the right direction.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 742 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 13th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Antifa exists to fight nazi types. Not sure how you lump them in with rebel :200:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2665 posts

Postby Verum » Nov 13th, 2017, 7:36 pm

maryjane48 wrote:Antifa exists to fight nazi types. Not sure how you lump them in with rebel :200:

Like Peterson or Shapiro's supporters, many are intelligent, sensible people. And like Peterson, they attract many of the less than savoury types. Anti-fascism, as in, being against fascism, is a noble pursuit, but the means employed matter and Antifa supporters often take it too far. If all one is trying to do is fight one group of supporters of totalitarianism by behaving similarly to a different group of totalitarians, it's not really much of an improvement. Antifa supporters may not go around killing people, but they certainly have been involved in unnecessary damage to property and even unwarranted violence against others. It doesn't help that they do seem to be somewhat interested in controlling other people's behaviours when they deem such behaviour as undesirable, which is not really much different than many of those on the alt-right. Add in their willingness to allow association with Communism and Marxism, two things which are like a red rag to an ill informed bull, and you end up with a divisive group who are starting to look more and more like the very thing they are looking to fight against.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 742 posts

Postby maryjane48 » Nov 13th, 2017, 8:15 pm

Every canadian that faught in ww2 was antifa. I asked my granpa why he went war . He was,pow in ww2 in hongkong for 5 years. He simply said to stop evil men from taking freedom away from the world. Those evil men were nazis facist . The group that called themselves antifa were the first to stand up to hitler and we the canadians came next as did uk . We were and still are antifa . Us under trump. Not so much :smt045
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 2665 posts

Postby MAPearce » Nov 13th, 2017, 8:26 pm

maryjane48 wrote:Antifa exists to fight nazi types. Not sure how you lump them in with rebel :200:

You're drinking too much "Leftie" cool aide..

Antifa as well as BLM are terrorist , violent thugs ..,

Straight up .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 3595 posts

Previous

Return to Social Concerns