What to do with old books

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
cubafreak
Board Meister

What to do with old books

Post by cubafreak »

I am wondering what to do with old books (paperback and hard cover) since they can not be recycled.I imagine used book stores (if there is such a thing anymore) are filled to the brim
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: What to do with old books

Post by GordonH »

Pick one, I am sure they would be happy to take them.
https://www.google.ca/search?ie=UTF-8&s ... 0002820227
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Value Village and retirement homes comes to mind.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I think Ted's Paperbacks will take them. There is also a place just off Boucherie Road, I think its Tomat Ave. The guy has a book drop off / pick up that is left open. You can drop them there as well.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

You just missed the friends of the library book sale in Oct. They will take donations.

http://www.kelownafol.ca
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

The Habitat for Humanity ReStore on Enterprise will take them too. I take mine there when I do my annual purge.
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

gman313 wrote:I think Ted's Paperbacks will take them. There is also a place just off Boucherie Road, I think its Tomat Ave. The guy has a book drop off / pick up that is left open. You can drop them there as well.

Gman, just to say, the "guy" is a woman named Carol, but she sold her book collection bin business to a business in town I won't name.

Carol does accept books but not at the bins anymore.

Warden has the best idea, Habitat for Humanity has the best drop off site, at the back of the building and the largest area to display books. Unlike other places where they have very limited space.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

cubafreak wrote:I am wondering what to do with old books (paperback and hard cover) since they can not be recycled.I imagine used book stores (if there is such a thing anymore) are filled to the brim

I like to burn my books on Queen K's lawn. Most of the smoke is generated, not by the fire, but by Queen K as she comes fuming out of the house to give me a smack with the biggest book she owns.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Glacier wrote:
cubafreak wrote:I am wondering what to do with old books (paperback and hard cover) since they can not be recycled.I imagine used book stores (if there is such a thing anymore) are filled to the brim

I like to burn my books on Queen K's lawn. Most of the smoke is generated, not by the fire, but by Queen K as she comes fuming out of the house to give me a smack with the biggest book she owns.

Okay, I bought a bigger book for next time you show up, but sincerely, who knew you could read so many Harlequin romances? :biggrin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Glacier wrote:

A cook book? Or is it a gardening book"?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If you take your books to Pandosy Books, they may make a cash offer. Please don't be offended by what is a low offer because you have to consider their expenses, and that they what they sell the book for and how long it sits on the shelf has to be considered too.

Some stores pay a "credit" based on the book's original price, like the Book Bin.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

alanjh595 wrote:
Glacier wrote:I like to burn my books on Queen K's lawn. Most of the smoke is generated, not by the fire, but by Queen K as she comes fuming out of the house to give me a smack with the biggest book she owns.

Last time it was The Joy of Cooking, the time before that it was the "Concise World Atlas." If he burns his Fifty Shades of Grey on my lawn again though, the neighbour needs fair warning due to a heart condition.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I take mine to the camping resort that I visit in the summer. The office has a free lending library available for those folks who forgot to bring reading material.

I know that those donations are greatly appreciated being on the receiving end myself once. (And only once!)

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

alanjh595 wrote:

At least it's not the book on how to understand wimmin. That book is at least 8,000 pages thick.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And neither one of you still haven't read it!

Return to “Social Concerns”