Shelters Over Capacity

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Shelters Over Capacity

Post by bjsilent »

Couple cold days on your on the news saying your over capacity? You knew we were in for a cold snap,why didn't you prepare for this? Had to laugh when Randy Benson said " We've been asked to put mats down in our dining area" What a load of baloney,you put mats down year round for people who can't get up the stairs and for the trouble makers you don't want upstairs.Did anyone else watch the video? Did you see the amount of garbage and homeless belongings strewn everywhere? It's like that 24/7,the shelter and it's employees ( glorified baby sitters for adults ) should be ashamed of themselves for allowing that to go on.Why should the city have to keep coming by and making the homeless clean up their mess? Everytime i drive by i see many shelter staff out front smoking and conversing with each other,here's a thought.Since your outside make them clean up their mess!!!! If Mr.Benson is so concerned about the welfare of the homeless maybe he along with a few other managers from that place can donate part of their salaries to fund another shelter,they are very well paid ( they can afford it )

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... r-capacity
Last edited by ferri on Nov 7th, 2017, 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link added
tomandjerri

Re: Shelters Over Capacity

Post by tomandjerri »

so why cant you use the churches that are not in use anymore that just seem like a no brainer
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

put em in city hall then you will see some changes
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

LTD wrote:put em in city hall then you will see some changes

There needs to be a tie between the homeless and climate change for that to matter apparently.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Is that a typo in the Castanet report - they were only expecting a half dozen at the Mission? Really? There's 4-5 times that hunkered outside the front door every day. Why are they lamenting this issue now after the fact? Not like winter should be a surprise - it happens every year. Completely agree with tomandjerri - why arent local church's doors welcoming the marginalized of town in a time of need like this?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

tomandjerri wrote:so why cant you use the churches that are not in use anymore that just seem like a no brainer

Someone still owns the property and who's going to monitor them?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Fancy wrote:
tomandjerri wrote:so why cant you use the churches that are not in use anymore that just seem like a no brainer

Someone still owns the property and who's going to monitor them?

Volunteers?
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

WalterWhite wrote:Is that a typo in the Castanet report - they were only expecting a half dozen at the Mission? Really? There's 4-5 times that hunkered outside the front door every day. Why are they lamenting this issue now after the fact? Not like winter should be a surprise - it happens every year. Completely agree with tomandjerri - why arent local church's doors welcoming the marginalized of town in a time of need like this?

Probably expecting that number over and above the 90 they already have.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

The Kelowna Gospel Mission is always bragging about how much money is donated to them per year,last year i think it was in the millions.Rather then using monies donated to pay huge managerial salaries why don't you take some of that money and put it towards expansion ( could use it right about now couldn't ya? ) I remember when they were begging for donations to create a courtyard so the homeless could relax and read a book and or socialize ( more like do drugs and shop and swap with their stolen goods from vehicles in and around the downtown core ) Has anyone seen this courtyard? Didn't take the homeless long to make it look like a dump,graffiti all over it etc etc.The KGM thinks that by giving these people free bus tickets,haircuts,clothes,three meals per day,free shoes etc etc is helping them well its NOT.All your doing is enabling them from becoming productive members of society,why would they wanna go look for work when they get everything handed to them? They can't even go to the welfare office the welfare office comes to them.Talk about laziness,you want welfare then walk your a** up there and drop of your stub and or pick up your assistance cheque but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo,thats to much for them to do so the welfare office comes there to collect the stubs and drop off their assistance cheques.Time to stop with the handouts and make them do things for themselves!!!!
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

bjsilent wrote:The Kelowna Gospel Mission is always bragging about how much money is donated to them per year,last year i think it was in the millions.Rather then using monies donated to pay huge managerial salaries why don't you take some of that money and put it towards expansion ( could use it right about now couldn't ya? ) I remember when they were begging for donations to create a courtyard so the homeless could relax and read a book and or socialize ( more like do drugs and shop and swap with their stolen goods from vehicles in and around the downtown core ) Has anyone seen this courtyard? Didn't take the homeless long to make it look like a dump,graffiti all over it etc etc.The KGM thinks that by giving these people free bus tickets,haircuts,clothes,three meals per day,free shoes etc etc is helping them well its NOT.All your doing is enabling them from becoming productive members of society,why would they wanna go look for work when they get everything handed to them? They can't even go to the welfare office the welfare office comes to them.Talk about laziness,you want welfare then walk your a** up there and drop of your stub and or pick up your assistance cheque but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo,thats to much for them to do so the welfare office comes there to collect the stubs and drop off their assistance cheques.Time to stop with the handouts and make them do things for themselves!!!!

Can't disagree with that. Leon needs a good clean up and the bods at the GM should play a part. Homelessness isn't an excuse for parts of downtown looking like Mogadishu or Aleppo.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

bjsilent wrote: ...Has anyone seen this courtyard? Didn't take the homeless long to make it look like a dump,graffiti all over it etc etc....

And people wonder why churches won't offer up their place of worship (though some do).
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

I have worked in that area for a number of years and what a nightmare to deal with,people camped out in alcoves spitting and *bleep*/defecating all over the place.Leaving clothes,blankets etc etc strewn all over the place.These people are the most ungrateful people i have ever met,want want want with their hands out.Take a drive down Leon Ave near the KGM,they are wandering all over the road,traffic comes along and they wont even move,they give the drivers of the vehicles the finger and spit on their vehicles.Shopping carts and garbage litter the sidewalks and the streets,people openly doing drugs ( obviously the staff of the KGM don't care or they would put a stop to it ) Funny that they all seem to have cigarettes hanging outta their mouths and cellphones and bicycles ( all most likely stolen ) Donating monies along with clothing,food etc etc to the KGM isn't doing anything but keeping people employed there,time to go with a new strategy!!!
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

Fancy wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:Is that a typo in the Castanet report - they were only expecting a half dozen at the Mission? Really? There's 4-5 times that hunkered outside the front door every day. Why are they lamenting this issue now after the fact? Not like winter should be a surprise - it happens every year. Completely agree with tomandjerri - why arent local church's doors welcoming the marginalized of town in a time of need like this?

Probably expecting that number over and above the 90 they already have.

They are lamenting so the bleeding hearts of Kelowna will open up their wallets and donate to the KGM ( hence why randy benson is on the news tugging at their heart strings ) Don't worry the money you donate won't be seen by the clients who stay at the KGM,most of it goes towards managerial and staff wages.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

bjsilent wrote:I have worked in that area for a number of years and what a nightmare to deal with,people camped out in alcoves spitting and *bleep*/defecating all over the place.Leaving clothes,blankets etc etc strewn all over the place.These people are the most ungrateful people i have ever met,want want want with their hands out.Take a drive down Leon Ave near the KGM,they are wandering all over the road,traffic comes along and they wont even move,they give the drivers of the vehicles the finger and spit on their vehicles.Shopping carts and garbage litter the sidewalks and the streets,people openly doing drugs ( obviously the staff of the KGM don't care or they would put a stop to it ) Funny that they all seem to have cigarettes hanging outta their mouths and cellphones and bicycles ( all most likely stolen ) Donating monies along with clothing,food etc etc to the KGM isn't doing anything but keeping people employed there,time to go with a new strategy!!!

Doesn’t it just make you want to help and donate?.....NOT! :135:
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bjsilent wrote:I have worked in that area for a number of years and what a nightmare to deal with,people camped out in alcoves spitting and *bleep*/defecating all over the place.Leaving clothes,blankets etc etc strewn all over the place.These people are the most ungrateful people i have ever met,want want want with their hands out.Take a drive down Leon Ave near the KGM,they are wandering all over the road,traffic comes along and they wont even move,they give the drivers of the vehicles the finger and spit on their vehicles.Shopping carts and garbage litter the sidewalks and the streets,people openly doing drugs ( obviously the staff of the KGM don't care or they would put a stop to it ) Funny that they all seem to have cigarettes hanging outta their mouths and cellphones and bicycles ( all most likely stolen ) Donating monies along with clothing,food etc etc to the KGM isn't doing anything but keeping people employed there,time to go with a new strategy!!!

the KGM is a discrace to downtown kelowna and how they run that place, all it is,Is a 24/7 junkie hangout, nothing more
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Social Concerns”