Stay classy Kelowna

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Stay classy Kelowna

Postby khutchi » Nov 7th, 2017, 10:54 pm

Do you wear a poppy for Remembrance Day?

Total Votes: 1978
Always 68.96%
Sometimes 20.32%
Never 6.42%
Did, but lost it 4.3%

Are British Columbians paying too much for fuel?

Total Votes: 8676
For sure: 94.89%
No way: 0.85%
Supply and demand: 1.72%
Pay to pollute: 1.92%
Don't drive: 0.61%

We may not all agree that veterans are worthy of our show of remembrance 1 day a year, but one thing I think we can all agree on is that we pay WAY too much at the pump. :135: This world is extremely messed up sometimes.
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
khutchi
Fledgling

Liked in: 86 posts

Re: Stay classy Kelowna

Postby Verum » Nov 7th, 2017, 11:58 pm

Nothing new here. People tend to vote with their pockets, especially if it is such a cut and dry situation. People in Kelowna feel that they are being gouged for fuel prices. There is plenty of evidence to support this belief, therefore this response is understandable.

Not everyone has a familial or direct connection to Remembrance Day since not everyone has family who fought and died defending Canada, so Remembrance Day is less meaningful for some than others. Additionally, some people, pacifists in general, might even have an understandable aversion to celebrating anything war related. Some would have a problem with Remembrance Day since is honours some groups who would not be seen by everyone in a positive light. For instance, people of Irish descent might find honouring the British troops of the Irish War of independence as somewhat conflicting. Not wishing to embrace Remembrance Day is certainly understandable if misguided.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Explains why so few people reply to me, and why I might not reply
Verum
Fledgling

Liked in: 257 posts

Return to Social Concerns