Christmas Season: Year's most wonderful "economic event"

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Christmas Season: Year's most wonderful "economic event"

Post by Thinktank »

What a country we live in. The stores are loaded with good stuff, and a lot of useless stuff. I wonder what
percent of the $1 trillion N Americans will spend this Christmas, will get thrown in the garbage? And what percent
of people will buy stuff they don't need, just to buy something?

30% OFF - 40% OFF - 50% OFF

Why do we consume so much stuff?

Anyone know? And how were we so fortunate to live in a country like Canada, where all we do is consume stuff,
24 hours a day, when people in other countries can't even afford food? Did you ever think about that?

This Christmas season, people will spend about $728.00 each. :up: But before that can happen, we have to buy tons of stuff
on Black Friday. And then, hopefully we can buy even more stuff on Boxing Day.

What are you buying on Black Friday?

discuss

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Re: Christmas Season: Year's most wonderful "economic event"

Post by youhavegottobekidding »

We decided as a family a few year's back to forgo Xmas presents altogether. I just hate the commercial aspects of it all. People feel pressured into buying "stuff" just to buy stuff. We now get together with friends and family and have fun. That is the whole point. Merry Christmas to those who celebrate but it can also be a very lonely for a lot of people for a variety of reasons.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

It's been more than 20 years that my family has gone to a 'no gift Christmas'. Before that we drew names and set a $$ limit on what we could spend. I like Christmas and spending time with family and good friends without the feeling of 'gift envy'....
Chill
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

I have never been one to blindly bow down to the god of consumerism. We celebrate Christmas and give gifts, but you will rarely see extravagance beneath our tree. We don't do Black Friday or Boxing Day shopping. We don't get caught up with keeping up with the Jones family. We buy gifts for our immediate family and the grandparents and that's it. There is no dreading January's credit card statement, because we don't go crazy buying things we cannot afford. It is possible to celebrate Christmas without sacrificing the meaning of the season.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

We are also in the no gift category. :up:
Stopped doing the useless gifts and all the hype and pressure about 15 years ago.
Much better to just enjoy a great meal and company. :130:

We also included that to include birthdays.

If any of us wants something during the year it is easier to obtain at times outside of the holiday hype zone.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

I see a lot of stuff in the stores this time of year. Lots of good stuff. And some useless crap.
they seem to bring in more useless crap - just for Christmas.

But even if it's not during the Christmas season, I'm still wondering if Canadians are "consuming" way too much.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.

Return to “Social Concerns”