How do you protect yourself?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

How do you protect yourself?

Post by Queen K »

Okay, we've seen our society devolve into a crisis today with both men and women having their careers in tatters, their names smeared and their aspirations destroyed.

Sexual allegations are hitting the news everywhere and from every angle. From both sides. We have #metoo and #mentoo

So in today's heightened climate of sensitivity and destruction, how do you protect yourselves? Are you more aware? Do you find yourself not being alone with the opposite sex quite so much?

I had an eye exam yesterday.
The part where touching the back of my head and adjusting my eyes to the lens is out in the complete open.
The man conducting the exam asked if can adjust my head to the specifications of the lens before he did so.
The next part of the exam is in a room with a door but it has a huge glass window and was never closed.
I never noticed these details before but I did this time and all if it makes complete sense.
For the protection of everybody.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: How do you protect yourself?

Post by kgcayenne »

"Do you mind if I record this conversation; I want to make sure I've not missed anything."
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Mrs. Tree and I have always had an agreement that neither of us will spend time alone with a member of the opposite sex. When we have told other couples about this and some have rolled their eyes at us. People think nothing will ever happen. We see time and time again that it only takes one slip, one bad decision and your life is ruined.

There are professional situations where we may not be able to avoid this situation, in that case be very guarded.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

That makes total sense. I won't even have the opposite sex on my FB friends list unless they are a relative; there's no reason for it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I have lots of people on my facebook, both from all walks of life, met and unmet. Men, married and unmarried. I've never had an issue with anyone. But I get what you are saying Kccayenne, if I ever have to follow suit, I will.

ETA: I'm not presently adding new friends on my list. I just turned down someone else's boyfriend.
Last edited by Queen K on Nov 21st, 2017, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

kgcayenne wrote:That makes total sense. I won't even have the opposite sex on my FB friends list unless they are a relative; there's no reason for it.

Seems a little over the top....you have no opposite sex good friends?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Don't pick up hitch hikers.
Don't be a land lord.
Very careful hiring opposite sex. never alone with them.

I understand an unsubstantiated claim regarding harassment or sexual abuse, the accuser is supposedly the one punished but by then your name has been dragged through the mud...

can't wait to retire...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

kgcayenne wrote:That makes total sense. I won't even have the opposite sex on my FB friends list unless they are a relative; there's no reason for it.

That would never work for me. I have lots of male friends, always have. We go for dinner and drinks together and it's never been an issue.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

vegas1500 wrote:Seems a little over the top....you have no opposite sex good friends?

Edited to remove the other information that was really not necessary...

My actual response: Geeeeezzzzz... it's just Facebook
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I don't restrict people on my FB page based on gendre, it's more how long have I known them, communicated with them, even if I have not met them. Probably more females and than males just because of the type of interests I have. There are some pretty sketchy females out there too, so I don't see the caution applying just to one gendre or the other. It's sort of the same situation in personal meet ups, there's male and female but it generally has to be someone I know thru some one else or some activity, not just random strangers. I guess that could be a lot trickier if you were new to a town, because pretty much everyone you meet is going to be a stranger.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Thing is about online social media sites, if you never have an actual face to face. Then all you can go on is what the person posts, that impo is not really getting to know someone.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I have closed my account and will never return to FB. THAT is how I protect myself.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

GordonH wrote:Thing is about online social media sites, if you never have an actual face to face. Then all you can go on is what the person posts, that impo is not really getting to know someone.

You don't really know anyone until you are married to them (even that might be debatable). So there has to be some measure of in-between there, to get to know them. I think everyone I have as a friend on FB I have known thru someone else, or have shared ideas, experiences for years. You don't know most of the people you meet face to face, day to day, that well.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I actually meant in real live situations, work and recreation, not to focus on social media so much.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

I actually meant in real live situations, work and recreation, not to focus on social media so much.

The OP has asked that we keep it to live situations. Let's do that! :130:
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings

Return to “Social Concerns”