How do you protect yourself?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: How do you protect yourself?

Postby JayByrd » Nov 21st, 2017, 7:43 pm

The OP wasn't just asking about social media/facebook though.

I'm married, and there are occasions where I'm in a social setting with a member of the opposite sex. My work also brings me into contact with women, in settings where it's just the two of us (my workplace is never staffed with more than two people).
Just this week, my young son and his friend met up at an indoor play place. I, and my son's friend's mother, sat together the entire time and chatted. While this wasn't inappropriate of itself, I'm always aware of how it can appear.

So how do I protect myself.

I make sure any woman I'm with in these settings knows I'm married. Casually bringing up my wife and son in conversation does the trick. I feel this reduces any temptation that might exist for either one of us.

If I do find myself alone with a woman, particularly in a social setting, I make sure my wife knows about it. I don't mean that I run to her and confess, but she will never be left wondering why I never mentioned that I was hanging out with so-and-so. I will always mention it.

I check my attitudes and behaviour. I hold off on anything I might say, even in jest, that could be taken as flirtatious or sexual.

I should also point out that my wife is not suspicious or distrustful of me. I'm above board on these things because it seems like the right thing to do, not because she demands it.
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in his shoes
'cause then you really might know what it's like to sing the blues.

3 people like this post.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1184 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 21st, 2017, 8:21 pm

Perfect! And yes, I understand how things can "appear" believe me.
Our saddest days are when we add up our losses, and losses seem to be our saddest when we lose our best. Proud to be a "Leaf-licker" and I know who else is too. **smiles**

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 11944 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Nov 21st, 2017, 8:23 pm

JayByrd wrote:The OP wasn't just asking about social media/facebook though.

I'm married, and there are occasions where I'm in a social setting with a member of the opposite sex. My work also brings me into contact with women, in settings where it's just the two of us (my workplace is never staffed with more than two people).
Just this week, my young son and his friend met up at an indoor play place. I, and my son's friend's mother, sat together the entire time and chatted. While this wasn't inappropriate of itself, I'm always aware of how it can appear.

So how do I protect myself.

I make sure any woman I'm with in these settings knows I'm married. Casually bringing up my wife and son in conversation does the trick. I feel this reduces any temptation that might exist for either one of us.

If I do find myself alone with a woman, particularly in a social setting, I make sure my wife knows about it. I don't mean that I run to her and confess, but she will never be left wondering why I never mentioned that I was hanging out with so-and-so. I will always mention it.

I check my attitudes and behaviour. I hold off on anything I might say, even in jest, that could be taken as flirtatious or sexual.

I should also point out that my wife is not suspicious or distrustful of me. I'm above board on these things because it seems like the right thing to do, not because she demands it.

:up: 10/10
TreeGuy

Liked in: 2163 posts

Previous

Return to Social Concerns