Straight,Bi,Gay..... Does it matter?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Re: Straight,Bi,Gay..... Does it matter?

Post by JayByrd »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:
! Canada has the most progressive LGBTQABCDE

That's the belittling part. Sort of like me calling you "NuhUhNoWay". Not the worst thing someone could do, but it's getting a shot in.

Oh my. Must I go on. I've seen Gay Pride parades in Vancouver, not as a participant but as a spectator trapped by pedestrian closures. If it was a hetro parade based on sexuality, it could easily fit in with an adult film festival being held in town.

As I said, stuff that goes on in a Pride Parade isn't what I'm talking about. Do you really think that's what the struggle is? LGBTQ persons want to do that all day, every day, but we won't let them?

Am I allowed to say I'd be against overt public demonstrations of hetro sexuality? Well I am. Oh crap! That's likely labelled as a moral stereotype of hyper conservative moral fanaticism and dismissed as non-progressive antediluvianism. Ya just can't win in the label game.

You are allowed. That doesn't really have anything to do with this though.

The legal battle in Canada for LGBetc rights is over. We are all equal. The same. I have no special rights, just as no special interest group in Canada should have. We are Canadians.

There's more at stake here than just legal rights. As I said, talk to a trans person and see what they go through. I assume, since you didn't mention it, that you never have. Having a legal right doesn't mean that right is respected. That's why I mentioned racism. Having a legal right, and actually being treated equally, are not the same thing. First Nations have the same rights as you and I, but are they actually treated equally? By government, employers, landlords, law enforcement? People of colour won the right to vote, own property, and hold public office in the United States, but does that mean they're treated equally? No violence, no racism? Should they just be quiet and go back to living their great lives?

any way they choose or have been destined to live (except cultures that want to violently compromise other peaceful cultures...don't go there even though you want to)

I guess we can both look through the keyboard and see into someone's heart.

If I told you I was the guy at 0:37, would you respect me more?

What you do in your free time is your own business. Right now, I only know you by what you write here.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:And lastly, nothing I said is based on the news about a Pride parade...but if you insist...
...and also for all those in this forum who "saw no indecency"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75p14ToVr88

If I told you I was the guy at 0:37, would you respect me more?

OK, I tried your click bait and watched a bit of it, including "the guy at 0:37".......I saw no indecency and nothing that would qualify as an "adult film festival"...............The guy you referred to has been at previous parades and does exactly the same thing. He skates around and gets people cheering etc.

Another year he wore a Borat thing (don't know what to call it) and your clip showed him with a thong and a long "sock" type of thing in front.
Have you ever been to a beach in the last few years? Ever see the skimpy stuff on display there? Frankly, it is far more revealing than anything at the pride parade.

The video did show a whole bunch of smiling people having fun. Including the ones in the crowd. We happened to have been in Vancouver for more than one of these parades and we try to go because it *is* a lot of fun seeing others having a blast. That you, apparently, find this video shocking or inappropriate or "adult film"ish is the shocking part.

Sorry, but we have neither regressed back, nor progressed, to a Handsmaid's Tale type of clothing for women or men.....whether you like it or not.
Amish Aren't Us in North American society......except for the Amish....and hutterites, I guess. :biggrin:

It really is hard to understand why this bothers some people...... :135:
You and 71 others Like this post
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

LANDM wrote:
OK, I tried your click bait and watched a bit of it, including "the guy at 0:37".......I saw no indecency and nothing that would qualify as an "adult film festival"...............The guy you referred to has been at previous parades and does exactly the same thing. He skates around and gets people cheering etc.

Another year he wore a Borat thing (don't know what to call it) and your clip showed him with a thong and a long "sock" type of thing in front.
Have you ever been to a beach in the last few years? Ever see the skimpy stuff on display there? Frankly, it is far more revealing than anything at the pride parade.

The video did show a whole bunch of smiling people having fun. Including the ones in the crowd. We happened to have been in Vancouver for more than one of these parades and we try to go because it *is* a lot of fun seeing others having a blast. That you, apparently, find this video shocking or inappropriate or "adult film"ish is the shocking part.

Sorry, but we have neither regressed back, nor progressed, to a Handsmaid's Tale type of clothing for women or men.....whether you like it or not.
Amish Aren't Us in North American society......except for the Amish....and hutterites, I guess. :biggrin:

It really is hard to understand why this bothers some people...... :135:

Wow. I can't believe I'm still at this.

I, unlike you, do not have time or patience to post over 5000 times in here. 5000. Combined with my other brand new best friend Jaybyrd with nearly 3,000 posts, how can I compete against all that wordage when I need to be out in a world dealing with people and without a keyboard in my hands? Surely my to-do list today needs more attention on my first days off in weeks.

So let's get back to the topic :topic: and ignore what could be right or what could be wrong (or "shocking" as you assign to me...just trust me on this...that's the wrong assessment) about wearing nothing but roller blades and a tube sock on your tube in front of thousands of people or twerking your ax in black latex to crowds that include kids.
LANDM wrote: It really is hard to understand why this bothers some people...... :135:
Let's just leave it alone...K?

"Straight,Bi,Gay..... Does it matter?" My overriding point way back before I met Jaybryd and yourself is that it doesn't. But we've swung from line dancing prose to gymnastic confabulations, It doesn't matter to me and I'd guess to hardly anyone I know. That even illustrates what is a none issue as it's not even a subject of conversation anymore.

Only a vocal portion of the alphabet people (Sorry. Let me explain...that's humour, not belittling. Lighten up) continue to drive that car that has already made it to the mall. Now it's mainly just going around in circles, going no where and making lots of noise. And it's start to *bleep* off even the car enthusiasts.

It doesn't matter if your hetro in Canada. It doesn't matter if you are LGetc. Stop the victim mentality and just get on with life as you chose or are chosen to live, just as millions are currently without making the issue a subject of debate, again, and again, and again.

...gotta tell a story. I worked with a overt (because you'd take offense to the word flaming, albeit a convenient word and one he used to describe himself) queer (he called himself that too) a few years back in Vancouver. Nice guy. Funny. Smart. Good worker. But he would not shut up about his husband...the good things, the bad things, the funny things, the sad things. After a couple of weeks, I'd had enough and told him I really didn't care about his stories..and yes, I was polite in the wording. He suggested I was homophobic. No there Skippy. If I worked with a guy who constantly talked about his wife, I'd tell him to shut up long before a couple of weeks went by... and I would not chose and plan my words as carefully I did with my other buddy.

Now...the to-do list. Have a great day. Remember to walk around occasionally to keep healthy circulation.
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:

Wow. I can't believe I'm still at this.

You *do* realize that nobody is forcing you to post, don't you? As Nancy said: "Just say no". :biggrin:

I, unlike you, do not have time or patience to post over 5000 times in here. 5000. Combined with my other brand new best friend Jaybyrd with nearly 3,000 posts, how can I compete against all that wordage when I need to be out in a world dealing with people and without a keyboard in my hands? Surely my to-do list today needs more attention on my first days off in weeks.

You actually don't need to "compete". Again, nobody is forcing you to do anything. On an anonymous forum, being concerned about someone's post count is like being concerned about any other irrelevant matter. Perhaps I am retired and just sit around all day and wait, staring at the screen without blinking, lest I miss anything......just waiting for a chance to post.
Or, I occasionally check and post where I feel like it. You can pick whatever you want as a scenario as it has no impact on myself or the rest of the world.

So let's get back to the topic :topic: and ignore what could be right or what could be wrong (or "shocking" as you assign to me...just trust me on this...that's the wrong assessment) about wearing nothing but roller blades and a tube sock on your tube in front of thousands of people or twerking your ax in black latex to crowds that include kids.
Let's just leave it alone...K?

Ahhh, a control issue.......sure, I'll just "leave it alone"......thanks for the instructive advice. Yeah, I actually do believe that you feel it shocking that someone would be rollerblading in a thong and tube sock. However, a thong on the beach is *much* different, where there are the same kids and families around. And twerking......OMG......better not google Miley!!!!

"Straight,Bi,Gay..... Does it matter?" My overriding point way back before I met Jaybryd and yourself is that it doesn't. But we've swung from line dancing prose to gymnastic confabulations, It doesn't matter to me and I'd guess to hardly anyone I know. That even illustrates what is a none issue as it's not even a subject of conversation anymore.

Sorry, but we have never met, as far as I know. And you are the one who is replying but saying it is not a subject of conversation. I think it's a great subject.

Only a vocal portion of the alphabet people (Sorry. Let me explain...that's humour, not belittling. Lighten up) continue to drive that car that has already made it to the mall. Now it's mainly just going around in circles, going no where and making lots of noise. And it's start to *bleep* off even the car enthusiasts.

Lighten up????? Gosh, I'm not aware of anyone being the heavy here. As for the rest of it....you have to translate.

It doesn't matter if your hetro in Canada. It doesn't matter if you are LGetc. Stop the victim mentality and just get on with life as you chose or are chosen to live, just as millions are currently without making the issue a subject of debate, again, and again, and again.

You are the one feeling that rollerblading in a thong and sock is akin to an adult film festival. Just get on with life and don't look. Unless that somehow turns your crank, of course. :biggrin:

...gotta tell a story. I worked with a overt (because you'd take offense to the word flaming, albeit a convenient word and one he used to describe himself) queer (he called himself that too) a few years back in Vancouver. Nice guy. Funny. Smart. Good worker. But he would not shut up about his husband...the good things, the bad things, the funny things, the sad things. After a couple of weeks, I'd had enough and told him I really didn't care about his stories..and yes, I was polite in the wording. He suggested I was homophobic. No there Skippy. If I worked with a guy who constantly talked about his wife, I'd tell him to shut up long before a couple of weeks went by... and I would not chose and plan my words as carefully I did with my other buddy.

Hate to tell you, but I am fairly certain that you have zero idea what I would take offense to.
But, nonetheless, great little story and it merely illustrates that we all deal with different personalities and this guy had his own issues.

Now...the to-do list. Have a great day. Remember to walk around occasionally to keep healthy circulation.

Have a wonderful weekend!! We hike extensively so the circulation is good. :up:
You and 71 others Like this post
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

UhHuhYeahSure wrote:

All the air has come out of your argument, so instead of countering, you're resorting to picking on how many times people post? For what it's worth, I've been a member of this board for 11 years. I've made an average of less than one post per day in that time. You've spent more time looking at sweaters in the LL Bean catalog than I have writing here, I assure you.

And I'm not your "new best friend", nor am I your enemy. Just someone who thinks you don't understand an issue and is discussing it with you. First time going back and forth on a forum? Don't take it personally. It's bad for your health.

You've basically said that you don't understand what the LGBTQ community is still fighting for. And that's the key. You don't understand. Their lives and their reality are a million miles from your own. You don't see the violence and the discrimination, so you believe it doesn't exist. But hey, don't let that stop you from talking about it like you know what's going on. You worked with a gay guy, after all.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

JayByrd wrote:As I said, stuff that goes on in a Pride Parade isn't what I'm talking about. Do you really think that's what the struggle is? LGBTQ persons want to do that all day, every day, but we won't let them?

We won't let them do what, exactly?
Max21

Post by Max21 »

Yeah!......*removed* Enuff already. The war is over, the gays won, they now have more rights than non-gays (just ask a florist or baker who tries to opt-out of a gay wedding). So I don't understand why they continue to rage against some unforeseen adversary that's supposedly making their lives miserably. You can't turn on a TV show or watch a movie without a gay character popping up, when they represent less than 5% of the population. So why aren't they happy?
Last edited by ferri on Dec 2nd, 2017, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Keep it clean please. :) Thanks!
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Max21 wrote:Yeah!......*removed* Enuff already. The war is over, the gays won, they now have more rights than non-gays (just ask a florist or baker who tries to opt-out of a gay wedding). So I don't understand why they continue to rage against some unforeseen adversary that's supposedly making their lives miserably. You can't turn on a TV show or watch a movie without a gay character popping up, when they represent less than 5% of the population. So why aren't they happy?

“They” (nice way to make “them” the dreaded Other) aren’t happy because of people who clearly have a mindset that resents “them” solely because they are gay.

Return to “Social Concerns”