Property tax increase

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
stevei

Property tax increase

Post by stevei »

Interesting article that the city of Kelowna is proposing a 2.6% tax increase. Reasonable and will likely be brought down a little after debate at city council. BC has legislation to limit rent increases for renters in about the same range. So Homeowners and renters are reasonably protected but how about us poor schmucks living in stratas? I live at Copper Sky and our board,which isnt our real board because the developer controls it, has just increased our strata fee by an astounding 15%. No legislation or good sense to protect us.cheers

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... gher-taxes
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: property tax increase

Post by Jflem1983 »

stevei wrote:Interesting article that the city of Kelowna is proposing a 2.6% tax increase. Reasonable and will likely be brought down a little after debate at city council. BC has legislation to limit rent increases for renters in about the same range. So Homeowners and renters are reasonably protected but how about us poor schmucks living in stratas? I live at Copper Sky and our board,which isnt our real board because the developer controls it, has just increased our strata fee by an astounding 15%. No legislation or good sense to protect us.cheers

Well im sorry to hear that. However copper sky has been in the news alot. Never for good things. Buyer beware.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
OKDODGER

Post by OKDODGER »

apparently the untouchables in city hall are at it again...no hold the line ..no budget within means..just more tax increases..doesn't sound like much does it 2 ..3 per cent .. take a look at what your assessment is this year!! this can't continue..and it seems nobody in there has the backbone to put a stop to this!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

OKDODGER wrote:apparently the untouchables in city hall are at it again...no hold the line ..no budget within means..just more tax increases..doesn't sound like much does it 2 ..3 per cent .. take a look at what your assessment is this year!! this can't continue..and it seems nobody in there has the backbone to put a stop to this!

Ya its more like a 32 percent increase
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

stevei wrote:Interesting article that the city of Kelowna is proposing a 2.6% tax increase. Reasonable and will likely be brought down a little after debate at city council. BC has legislation to limit rent increases for renters in about the same range. So Homeowners and renters are reasonably protected but how about us poor schmucks living in stratas? I live at Copper Sky and our board,which isnt our real board because the developer controls it, has just increased our strata fee by an astounding 15%. No legislation or good sense to protect us.cheers

That's the risk of living in a strata.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's regulations regarding stratas. There will be a catch up.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Property tax increase

Post by TylerM4 »

Strata's get more expensive not just with inflation but with the aging of the building. Much more expensive repairs needed when the building is 20yo vs 2yo. A good council will see this coming with slow increases as the building gets older, building up funds in anticipation of replacing the roof or steam plant, or whatever it may be.

If you are concerned, join the strata council. My biggest beef with strata councils is that they're run by homeowners who often are involved in conflict of interest - not impartial people who are skilled at making these decisions.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Property tax increase

Post by LANDM »

Strata fees are set yearly according to budgetary requirements of the Strata Corporation. Every owner has the ability to be involved and comment.
Not quite sure why the rant......
You and 71 others Like this post
csm
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by csm »

OKDODGER wrote:apparently the untouchables in city hall are at it again...no hold the line ..no budget within means..just more tax increases..doesn't sound like much does it 2 ..3 per cent .. take a look at what your assessment is this year!! this can't continue..and it seems nobody in there has the backbone to put a stop to this!

One way they can help reduce the debt is #1 - stop sleeping with "Melcor", and the other - stop the Fire Department ( paid for municipally) from chasing Ambulances all over the city. They aren't needed ( I know cause I'm a Paramedic ), the Province is suppose to put enough ambulances in service to do the job but for years they have been cheating and passing it off to home-owners to cover the shortfall. Firefighters make `15-20% more than a Paramedic. Sure there are occasions they are helpful, but not every call, even "routine" one's. I have experienced going to calls in "normal traffic" ( no lights and sirens) and had to pull over for a fire truck cause they are going code 3 - unnecessarily, and putting the public at risk in the process. This has to stop. The FD in the city of Delta is approximately 30% of their overall budget, and they run around chasing Ambulances to build their stats to "Hire" more and more firefighters at much higher wages.
Compliance is a tool used by dictators, to take your freedom and never give it back.
Enjoy your new "Slave State"!
spooker

Post by spooker »

While you're asking why not ask for inflation to stop? Oh, wait, that would mean the economy is stalling, that wouldn't be good would it?

Out of 417 cities in Canada, Kelowna and West Kelowna rank in the top 100 for lowest property tax rates ... WK does better than K-town does but only by 35 places ...

So if you want to move somewhere else, you're chances of getting into a more expensive city is 3 out of 4 ... pretty good odds
to have more to complain about ...

Assessments do not have a direct effect on how much your taxes will change year-over-year ... my assessment went up 16% this year, but my property tax went up by just over 3% ...

Return to “Social Concerns”