Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby Grandan » Dec 11th, 2017, 4:20 pm

mexi cali wrote:
We agree on one thing sir or madame, it isn't as easy today. It wasn't all that easy yesterday. The mindest was different. The prioroties were different. Houses were less and so were wages. Houses have outstirpped wages as far as growth goes but they are still not out of reach. It is just more difficult. But it's not impossible, not by any stretch.

My examples are true and until someone decided to start this thread, I didn't relly think much about what my kids have managed to accomplish. They just did it.

The expectation of "house" has also changed considerably. My first house was about 700 sq ft and my 3rd house was 22ft x 28Ft with a shed roof porch on the back. or about 800 sq ft.
There was one bathroom for 6 of us. I had to insulate and gyproc the 1/2 storey attic to make the bedrooms we needed, until then there were 3 kids in one bedroom and us and the baby in the the other.
There is an expectation of much bigger and better than in the past and we are wondering why the price of housing has gone up?
We had no granite counter tops, waterfall shower or heated floors, we barely had enough plugs to power the few kitchen machines we had. Low E windows, no; double glazed, no; high efficiency furnace and central A/C? No; designer light fixtures? no. There was also such a thing as small lots, 33 ft wide for small houses.
Now it is bigger houses with more features and fewer kids.
Waste not

Bpeep likes this post.
Grandan
Übergod
 
Posts: 1859
Likes: 168 posts
Liked in: 859 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2007, 4:05 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 11th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Bman wrote:Better is your word, not mine.
You sound so bitter.
About everything.

I cherish every moment of every day, and am content.
I get as much happiness from my failures as I do my successes.
Every day is s gift.
Nobody knows what's really important until they are staring into whatever abyss life tosses at them.
And everyone will ultimately end up there.


I don't think bitterness can be determined by a sarcastic response to some braggy story about growing up half blind, not going to school, and being clothed in a sack. If this crazy story is even remotely true, you grew up in some destitute village outside of Canada that was probably plagued with National Geographic employees trying to do exposes on the blind sack-clothed kids working 100-hour weeks to be financial successes. Hence, it's not relevant to millennials, nor is it relevant to charitable donations (unless you're saying your clothing sacks were donated?) nor is it relevant to really anything at all.

About the actual topic, charitable donations, I'd like to see how many millennials donate things like magazines or old technology to places like KGH. I know I've given iPods to care homes so some of the residents can enjoy music. I think it was grandan who said a donation doesn't have to involve the transfer of money.

3 people like this post.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby MAPearce » Dec 11th, 2017, 6:35 pm

Millennials are lazy sacks... I know .

I have TWO. They want "mall munney" but can't wipe their own asses to get it never mind mind taking out a small bag of trash or the recycling ...

If it weren't for them asshat biotches at MCFD , I'd let them go to school dirty... But that's a no no....

Millennials are lazy , I wouldn't expect them to donate anything to anyone ...

Too much work for them .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10820
Likes: 1497 posts
Liked in: 3866 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby W105 » Dec 11th, 2017, 6:50 pm

you seem like a proud papa MAP....

2 people like this post.
W105
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3427
Likes: 1190 posts
Liked in: 3100 posts
Joined: Apr 20th, 2012, 8:46 am

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby zerograv » Dec 11th, 2017, 7:06 pm

MAPearce wrote:Millennials are lazy sacks... I know .

I have TWO. They want "mall munney" but can't wipe their own asses to get it never mind mind taking out a small bag of trash or the recycling ...

If it weren't for them asshat biotches at MCFD , I'd let them go to school dirty... But that's a no no....

Millennials are lazy , I wouldn't expect them to donate anything to anyone ...

Too much work for them .


Says more about you then it does them :D
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.

2 people like this post.
zerograv
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 968
Likes: 70 posts
Liked in: 271 posts
Joined: Mar 5th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby Bpeep » Dec 11th, 2017, 11:44 pm

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Bman wrote:Better is your word, not mine.
You sound so bitter.
About everything.

I cherish every moment of every day, and am content.
I get as much happiness from my failures as I do my successes.
Every day is s gift.
Nobody knows what's really important until they are staring into whatever abyss life tosses at them.
And everyone will ultimately end up there.


I don't think bitterness can be determined by a sarcastic response to some braggy story about growing up half blind, not going to school, and being clothed in a sack. If this crazy story is even remotely true, you grew up in some destitute village outside of Canada that was probably plagued with National Geographic employees trying to do exposes on the blind sack-clothed kids working 100-hour weeks to be financial successes. Hence, it's not relevant to millennials, nor is it relevant to charitable donations (unless you're saying your clothing sacks were donated?) nor is it relevant to really anything at all.

About the actual topic, charitable donations, I'd like to see how many millennials donate things like magazines or old technology to places like KGH. I know I've given iPods to care homes so some of the residents can enjoy music. I think it was grandan who said a donation doesn't have to involve the transfer of money.

Lol.
As usual, you're wrong again. Funny tho.
Nope. Not Afghanistan if that's what you're thinking.
A couple used iPods. That's awesome.
You really contributed huh.
How munificent.
Just think of the lives you changed.
Society needs many more like you.
Is that like a daily or weekly contribution?
Or did you donate a couple on just one occasion?


I guess 11 year olds in canada can just go to any welfare office and say they can't see well and they'll not only get free vision care, but they can get their parents jailed for not providing the necessities of life.
Yup. That's what parents here get for giving someone the gift of life.
When the power goes out , on day 12 millenials will be eating their young.
From a parental point of view, it might be the right thing to do.
If you are reading this, you are not Amish.
User avatar
Bpeep
Mindquad
 
Posts: 28430
Likes: 12275 posts
Liked in: 9764 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 11:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 11th, 2017, 11:48 pm

Im 34. I dont have any idea how to use an ipod. I can just imagine how thrilled thevold folks were to get one.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
 
Posts: 5121
Likes: 11473 posts
Liked in: 2917 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby Bpeep » Dec 11th, 2017, 11:56 pm

I think the average millenial barely has the skills to fend for themselves outside of having an income and using that for trade for goods and services.
I think when that money runs out before the week does ( likely more often than not) they blame society for it coz they think they should be freely allowed the spoils and riches of the earth.
Most millenials I know want to start out life with what the ones before them finished with.

It's cute listening to them squeal when ya pop their bubble wrap.
I've never seen a more helpless generation.
It's funny listening to them defend their sense of entitlement.
If you are reading this, you are not Amish.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Bpeep
Mindquad
 
Posts: 28430
Likes: 12275 posts
Liked in: 9764 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 11:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 12th, 2017, 12:29 am

Jflem1983 wrote:Im 34. I dont have any idea how to use an ipod. I can just imagine how thrilled thevold folks were to get one.


There was a music for residents relaxation therapy program started at a care home. The idea was that an employee (one who knew how to use an iPod) would help residents listen to a relaxation playlist.

Why is my donation being mocked anyways? Seems like a really weird thing to do. Hahaha that guy gave away a possession that might possibly benefit others in a positive way! What a loser!
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby Bpeep » Dec 12th, 2017, 12:32 am

HorganIsMyHero wrote:About the actual topic, charitable donations, I'd like to see how many millennials donate things like magazines or old technology to places like KGH. I know I've given iPods to care homes so some of the residents can enjoy music. I think it was grandan who said a donation doesn't have to involve the transfer of money.


Magazines are a worthless contribution.
Recycle bins everywhere are full of them.
Ditto for old technology. It's obsolete.
If you're going to contribute, at least endeavor to make a difference and make it worthwhile to the recipient.
Yard sale cast offs are more a hindrance than anything.

At least give something the recipient doesn't need a staff member to use.
Your donation was welcome till the employee left after 30 minutes.
If you are reading this, you are not Amish.
User avatar
Bpeep
Mindquad
 
Posts: 28430
Likes: 12275 posts
Liked in: 9764 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 11:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 12th, 2017, 12:36 am

Bman wrote:Magazines are a worthless contribution.
Recycle bins everywhere are full of them.
Ditto for old technology. It's obsolete.
If you're going to contribute, at least endeavor to make a difference and make it worthwhile to the recipient.
Yard sale cast offs are more a hindrance than anything.

At least give something the recipient doesn't need a staff member to use.
Your donation was welcome till the employee left after 30 minutes.


I apologize, I'll try to give better donations in the future. My bad. Maybe I should write down a list of things i can give and castanet members can tell me whether they're acceptable or not?

normaM likes this post.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby Jflem1983 » Dec 12th, 2017, 12:38 am

Bman wrote:
HorganIsMyHero wrote:About the actual topic, charitable donations, I'd like to see how many millennials donate things like magazines or old technology to places like KGH. I know I've given iPods to care homes so some of the residents can enjoy music. I think it was grandan who said a donation doesn't have to involve the transfer of money.


Magazines are a worthless contribution.
Recycle bins everywhere are full of them.
Ditto for old technology. It's obsolete.
If you're going to contribute, at least endeavor to make a difference and make it worthwhile to the recipient.
Yard sale cast offs are more a hindrance than anything.

At least give something the recipient doesn't need a staff member to use.
Your donation was welcome till the employee left after 30 minutes.




I used to take my girlfriends pomeranian to old folks homes. The residents would light up. I truly believe a lot of the elderly are just lonely. If u want to help. Go spend 20 minites. It wont cost u anything
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
 
Posts: 5121
Likes: 11473 posts
Liked in: 2917 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby Dizzy1 » Dec 12th, 2017, 1:22 am

Worth a good chuckle ...

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

Bpeep likes this post.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10778
Likes: 4507 posts
Liked in: 5133 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby Grandan » Dec 12th, 2017, 8:42 am

[quote="HorganIsMyHero"

I don't think bitterness can be determined by a sarcastic response to some braggy story about growing up half blind, not going to school, and being clothed in a sack. If this crazy story is even remotely true, you grew up in some destitute village outside of Canada that was probably plagued with National Geographic employees trying to do exposes on the blind sack-clothed kids working 100-hour weeks to be financial successes. Hence, it's not relevant to millennials, nor is it relevant to charitable donations (unless you're saying your clothing sacks were donated?) nor is it relevant to really anything at all.
About the actual topic, charitable donations, I'd like to see how many millennials donate things like magazines or old technology to places like KGH. I know I've given iPods to care homes so some of the residents can enjoy music. I think it was grandan who said a donation doesn't have to involve the transfer of money.
[/quote]
The story of using flour sacks for clothing is true. I heard it from my wife and I believe her. It illustrates the dire circumstances her family was in when she was a child. Flour sacks in her case were used for underwear because it was softer than gunny sacks.
There were no food banks and going to school hungry was constant. Despite her harsh upbringing she went on to be a registered nurse, returning to school late in life. So when I hear about how hard millennials have it in life I feel very little compassion.
Waste not
Grandan
Übergod
 
Posts: 1859
Likes: 168 posts
Liked in: 859 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2007, 4:05 pm
Location: Kelowna

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Postby HorganIsMyHero » Dec 12th, 2017, 8:56 am

Grandan wrote:The story of using flour sacks for clothing is true. I heard it from my wife and I believe her. It illustrates the dire circumstances her family was in when she was a child. Flour sacks in her case were used for underwear because it was softer than gunny sacks.
There were no food banks and going to school hungry was constant. Despite her harsh upbringing she went on to be a registered nurse, returning to school late in life. So when I hear about how hard millennials have it in life I feel very little compassion.


I don't think you should be giving away the professions of others, but have you never talked to anyone outside of your own age group in years? To say, "well this boomer here allegedly had to wear flour-sack underwear so therefore I have little compassion for millennials" is such weird and biased thinking that it comes across as a joke.

Try talking to people from different generations, tons of people have stories of terrible upbringings or struggling as young adults.

whatwhat likes this post.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister
 
Posts: 448
Likes: 119 posts
Liked in: 234 posts
Joined: Aug 5th, 2017, 2:49 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests