Nuclear disaster inevitable

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Nuclear disaster inevitable

Post by Thinktank »

With 410 nuclear power plants in the world the next nuclear disaster is going to happen - somewhere
yet no one wants to talk about it. Are we prepared for another nuclear disaster? Nope.

But Leader of North Korea is in the news. There's no chance he wants to send a rocket that crashes
into the ocean 1,000 miles from California - zero chance - because then Trump would have an excuse
to get furious on his country and steal all his stuff. He doesn't want that. no wants want his stuff stolen.
Do you think Gadafy wanted Harper and the other criminals to kill him and steal his 130 tons of gold?
of course not.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

oldtrucker wrote: This is a fatal place to be.I'd rather be up near Terrace BC on that day.

Both Kitimat and Prince Rupert have deep water ports and industry. Targets? Maybe, maybe not.

New Zealand (or somewhere in the southern hemisphere) definitely the better choice :smt045
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

oldtrucker wrote:Have no doubt, Iran is working closely with North Korea for mutual benefit so they can take out Israel....

[icon_lol2.gif] ^

That's Rexella. ^ She and Jack VanImpe appointed themselves (and they earn $millions from gullible Christians)
as the people who will predict the future. They said Russia, North Korea, Iran and Syria are going to attack Israel
because - get this - "there is a lot of wealth in Israel."

Will the insanity in this world never end?

(the wealth in Israel - $trillions - is on paper. You can't steal wealth like that.

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Ka-El wrote:
oldtrucker wrote: This is a fatal place to be.I'd rather be up near Terrace BC on that day.

Both Kitimat and Prince Rupert have deep water ports and industry. Targets? Maybe, maybe not.

New Zealand (or somewhere in the southern hemisphere) definitely the better choice :smt045

you mean terrace right by Alaska that also has multiple military installations and missile sites
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

oldtrucker wrote:Perhaps the doomsday clock will be moved...

It's like when Christians sitting in a church say "the end is very very near." JWs do it the most.
But all Christians like the idea of Doomsday.

The Doomsday clock should be called the BS clock. It never was a problem and never will be.

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Some goofball Atomic Scientists at University of Chicago, decided to make a clock (probably for a joke)
that says how close humans are to becoming "EXTINCT" after a big global war.

There's no such thing. ...

the biggest thing that could happen is contaminating the world with some bombs.
it would make some people sick. Cancer rates would go up. etc.

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Wear a hat and stay out of the sun for awhile, OT.

Relax until Doomsday, ok? :200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Some important Americans were swallowing their saliva at the possibility of a limited nuclear war in Iran.

It's not Seattle that's going to be hit with a bomb. It's Libya. Iraq. Syria. Iran. Countries like that.
I can totally see Ukraine being blasted with some nuclear weapons that will last forever -
and be killing them hundreds of years from now. .....bomb dropped by America.

But in Canada we're totally safe, except for the radiation that floats over here. Like from Fuku.

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

It's heartening that you are thinking ahead of this disaster, rubbing forepaws together, crooning "land, lotsa land"

You're Not mentally deranged OT, just an opportunist. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

What about hanford? Still pretty leaky down there
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I have seen dolphins airbound that could be mistaken for missiles too. Sleek as warheads.

Unknown
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

With apologies oldtrucker ...

With Kim Jong and Putin both playing Trump from opposing flanks (Kim Jong playing Trump into believing him and Putin getting an excuse to be more open about an arms race), this article is timely …

What can we do to prevent nuclear war?

We are three quarters of a century into the nuclear age. Have we yet learned how to live with nuclear weapons? It seems not. Some take heart from the fact that, after the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, there has been no nuclear war. They say, rightly, it would be suicide for the U.S. and Russia to unleash their nuclear weapons.

But we must ask ourselves whether the contending powers actually accept this. If they do not, nuclear deterrence is unstable.

Consider the evidence. It is a dubious form of acceptance of a condition of stable deterrence that leads the opponents to engage in an arms race costing a trillion dollars. Yet that is what they are doing.

In Russian President Putin’s case the big ticket items include new torpedoes capable of making the eastern United States uninhabitable. U.S. President Trump is planning instead space-based lasers, able to burn up incoming missiles.

Why is it so hard to distinguish the supposed equilibrium of deterrence from its opposite, an uncontrolled arms race? The latter description seems more apt.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/wha ... &ocid=iehp

I remember reading an opinion piece by Gwynne Dyer where he identified some key factors that can play into the precuring conditions for world wars to begin; two very important conditions being a strong representation of nationalism and alliances between nations. That last point was questionable to me and I forget how he explained it (and not going to go looking when I could be watching golf) but we should all know we are right now currently living in some very interesting times.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I suspect in a all out nuclear war, there really won't be any winners. What the warheads don't kill, fallout will.
Best to give each leader who has these weapons a simple video game, use this instead.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

IMHO, the only chance our west coast might be hit with a nuke is if North Korea does something stupid and tries to hit the US, and misses. Even then, North Korea's tiny nuke won't have the devastation that would arise from a Russian or Chinese nuclear attack. Just my opinion of course. I think the use of tactical nukes in Europe is far more likely. Again, just mho.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Ka-El wrote:I remember reading an opinion piece by Gwynne Dyer where he identified some key factors that can play into the precuring conditions for world wars to begin; two very important conditions being a strong representation of nationalism and alliances between nations. That last point was questionable to me and I forget how he explained it (and not going to go looking when I could be watching golf) but we should all know we are right now currently living in some very interesting times.

Currently reading " Don't Panic" ( twice) and " Crawling from the wreckage" . I'll see if I can pick that point up.

PS: Great author, too bad the local box stores don't carry his books.
Last edited by seewood on Feb 19th, 2019, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “Social Concerns”