Nuclear disaster inevitable

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Nuclear disaster inevitable

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 27th, 2018, 9:07 pm

We, like other sentient life forms, are here because it's the only way the universe can perceive itself.
oldtrucker
Board Meister

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jan 28th, 2018, 8:05 am

I think we’re probably closer to a nuclear event than we have ever been since the Cuban missile crisis – the only difference being that during the Cuban missile crisis the standoff was being dealt with by two men who were reasonably sane, while today the event is being considered between two men who are both demonstrably unstable. That condition alone makes the current situation with all its reckless pontification and provocation very precarious by comparison. As already suggested by a couple of posters the best hope would be a direct strike. It may be possible the southern hemisphere escapes the worst, but anyone left anywhere in the northern hemisphere will suffer greatly – no food, no clean water, no medicine, no law and order, and likely not even any sun during a long nuclear winter. A person might prepare their best by stockpiling food, water, arms and ammunition, but life as a scavenger in a world destroyed by violence is not going to be much fun.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill

2 people like this post.
Ka-El
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3417 posts

Postby Old Techie » Jan 28th, 2018, 10:00 am

MAPearce wrote:I just hope I don't run out of beer ....

MAPearce wrote:
oldtrucker wrote:
Or weed. Come to think of it...historically speaking, sex, weapons and drugs would sell as usual. You could use your beer to trade for other things MAPearce!

Like a fridge to keep it cold ?

Lets face it .. IF "Dooms day" comes it's over ..

Who's gonna get me power for the fridge ??

Not a problem, just run over to MJ's place, and plug into the, off grid, energy freedom, solar system she installed. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 4149 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 28th, 2018, 10:02 am

Not a problem, just run over to MJ's place, and plug into the, off grid, energy freedom, solar system she installed. [icon_lol2.gif]

Haha ! But no thanks ... I want my beer for me ..AND cold .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 3487 posts

Postby Old Techie » Jan 28th, 2018, 10:37 am

MAPearce wrote:

Haha ! But no thanks ... I want my beer for me ..AND cold .

Well it would be cold.............................. in December. [icon_lol2.gif]
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 4149 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jan 28th, 2018, 10:39 am

Old Techie wrote: Well it would be cold.............................. in December. [icon_lol2.gif]

Might be December year-round after the firestorm.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
Ka-El
Lord of the Board

Postby Thinktank » Jan 28th, 2018, 10:44 am

Some American warmongers are saying a limited nuclear war somewhere farther away might be a nice idea.
the middle east would be a good place to try it out.

But with 410 nuclear power plants in the world, another Chernobyl is inevitable. Not if, but when.
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
Thinktank
Guru

Liked in: 511 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 28th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Ka-El wrote:I think we’re probably closer to a nuclear event than we have ever been since the Cuban missile crisis – the only difference being that during the Cuban missile crisis the standoff was being dealt with by two men who were reasonably sane, while today the event is being considered between two men who are both demonstrably unstable. That condition alone makes the current situation with all its reckless pontification and provocation very precarious by comparison. As already suggested by a couple of posters the best hope would be a direct strike. It may be possible the southern hemisphere escapes the worst, but anyone left anywhere in the northern hemisphere will suffer greatly – no food, no clean water, no medicine, no law and order, and likely not even any sun during a long nuclear winter. A person might prepare their best by stockpiling food, water, arms and ammunition, but life as a scavenger in a world destroyed by violence is not going to be much fun.

Most don't realise that the likelihood of being close enough to ground zero in their respective areas to die right away is less than 10 percent in a all out global situation. Warheads(for the most part) are no longer in the low megaton range; most are high accuracy low to mid kiloton range.
I don't think there would be any kind of nuclear winter in a Korean situation. Nuclear winter is speculative--some think that in a all out global situation, temps could drop as much as 30 degrees C in the interior continental regions for as much as a year. Some say 10 degrees C at the most and for only 6 months.
We, like other sentient life forms, are here because it's the only way the universe can perceive itself.
oldtrucker
Board Meister

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jan 28th, 2018, 1:21 pm

oldtrucker wrote: I don't think there would be any kind of nuclear winter in a Korean situation.

Don't forget, anything can happen once the missiles start flying, and North Korea and United States are not the only countries with missiles to launch. I think it would be far preferable that none of those things goes off, but I alsoI believe we are currently as close to that actually happening than we have ever been. No point losing sleep over it though.

:digging:
Ka-El
Lord of the Board

Postby johnny24 » Jan 28th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Ka-El wrote:
oldtrucker wrote: I don't think there would be any kind of nuclear winter in a Korean situation.

Don't forget, anything can happen once the missiles start flying, and North Korea and United States are not the only countries with missiles to launch. I think it would be far preferable that none of those things goes off, but I alsoI believe we are currently as close to that actually happening than we have ever been. No point losing sleep over it though.

:digging:

I don't see that. All I see is a bluff by North Korea to keep the USA from invading. I'm not convinced that North Korea is that close to having the capabilities of hitting the states.
johnny24
Board Meister

Liked in: 229 posts

Postby Snman » Jan 28th, 2018, 1:54 pm

A bluff by NK for cash, perhaps. US cannot invade NK, China won't stand for it, imho. I think NK has played it's game well and has the US in proverbial check. They could drop a nuke on a US city but the US probably can't respond in kind, again because of China. Just my take on the situation.
Snman
Board Meister

Liked in: 258 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jan 28th, 2018, 1:57 pm

johnny24 wrote: I don't see that. All I see is a bluff by North Korea to keep the USA from invading. I'm not convinced that North Korea is that close to having the capabilities of hitting the states.

It is never a prudent move to underestimate a threat. North Korea doesn't need to hit the mainland States to start nuclear war. They could strike Hawaii. The could strike a naval battle group on the open sea. Someone could press a button by accident.
Ka-El
Lord of the Board

Postby johnny24 » Jan 28th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Ka-El wrote:
johnny24 wrote: I don't see that. All I see is a bluff by North Korea to keep the USA from invading. I'm not convinced that North Korea is that close to having the capabilities of hitting the states.

It is never a prudent move to underestimate a threat. North Korea doesn't need to hit the mainland States to start nuclear war. They could strike Hawaii. The could strike a naval battle group on the open sea. Someone could press a button by accident.

An accident is most likely. There was a report that they may have already accidently hit one of their own cities.
johnny24
Board Meister

Liked in: 229 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 28th, 2018, 2:05 pm

j watson wrote:A bluff by NK for cash, perhaps. US cannot invade NK, China won't stand for it, imho. I think NK has played it's game well and has the US in proverbial check. They could drop a nuke on a US city but the US probably can't respond in kind, again because of China. Just my take on the situation.

I disagree. If N Korea strikes 1st, the gloves come off and the US will dump everything they have on them. China will not intercede unless the US strikes 1st.
The US has a very itchy trigger finger and they are looking for the opportunity to wipe them (the government, not the people) off the map.
I don't believe that the US would unleash ICBMs, but they would use aircraft deployed bombs. The US has a huge military force parked right on the NK doorstep and could wipe them off the map within days.
alanjh595
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1633 posts

Postby LTD » Jan 28th, 2018, 2:42 pm

ya they thought that with Iraq Afghanistan Vietnam Korea last time I dont think theyre as powerful as people think
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2211 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns