Nuclear disaster inevitable

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Nuclear disaster inevitable

Postby Catsumi » Aug 1st, 2018, 12:14 pm

Wear a hat and stay out of the sun for awhile, OT.

Relax until Doomsday, ok? :200:
J. Trudeau, the PM who brought corruption, scandal and spending to a laughing world stage

Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4165 posts

Postby Thinktank » Aug 1st, 2018, 5:11 pm

Some important Americans were swallowing their saliva at the possibility of a limited nuclear war in Iran.

It's not Seattle that's going to be hit with a bomb. It's Libya. Iraq. Syria. Iran. Countries like that.
I can totally see Ukraine being blasted with some nuclear weapons that will last forever -
and be killing them hundreds of years from now. .....bomb dropped by America.

But in Canada we're totally safe, except for the radiation that floats over here. Like from Fuku.
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
Thinktank
Guru

Liked in: 618 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Aug 2nd, 2018, 4:47 am

Catsumi wrote:Relax until Doomsday, ok?

It's not doomsday. It's the day and following years that I acquire a whole bunch of land. Besides, who else do you know on here that is mentally ill enough to study this stuff for years and post on it.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 1016 posts

Postby Catsumi » Aug 2nd, 2018, 9:36 am

It's heartening that you are thinking ahead of this disaster, rubbing forepaws together, crooning "land, lotsa land"

You're Not mentally deranged OT, just an opportunist. :biggrin:
J. Trudeau, the PM who brought corruption, scandal and spending to a laughing world stage

Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Postby oldtrucker » Aug 2nd, 2018, 11:26 am

Thinktank wrote:Some important Americans were swallowing their saliva at the possibility of a limited nuclear war in Iran.

It's not Seattle that's going to be hit with a bomb. It's Libya. Iraq. Syria. Iran. Countries like that.
I can totally see Ukraine being blasted with some nuclear weapons that will last forever -
and be killing them hundreds of years from now. .....bomb dropped by America.

But in Canada we're totally safe, except for the radiation that floats over here. Like from Fuku.

You may be correct. The world is thirsting for war in so many ways. The farther and longer the elastic gets stretched, the bigger the snap back. Don't discount the Seattle /Tacoma area to quickly... The Trident base in Bangor/ naval complex Kitsap would be target number one in any conflict...or number two if one takes the Trident base into account in Kings Bay, Georgia.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Postby tsayta » Aug 6th, 2018, 8:19 pm

What about hanford? Still pretty leaky down there
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1663 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Aug 17th, 2018, 11:30 am

tsayta wrote:What about hanford? Still pretty leaky down there

Hanford can no longer have a meltdown unless the spent/stored plutonium comes together somehow and starts uncontrolled fission, but yes, it is still leaking into the Colorado River and it's still contaminating at least 130 sq miles of ground water.

On a really positive note, if all the forest fires that have or will be burned in 2018 in BC equalled roughly 200,000 hectares, the burned area would be (initially... but a way ,way bigger burned area ongoing) equivalent to only one, high yield Chinese 4 megaton Dong Feng-5 (DF-5) ICBM detonating over Seattle/Tacoma/ Kitsap Naval complex.
Multiply that with at least 15 detonations on that area...

Nice pic on Cnet
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/234161 ... ud-over-BC

Edit- The Columbia nuclear plant is the only operational one in Washington state. It's considered 'safe' because it only has a 1 in 147,000 chance of having a earthquake large enough to cause damage to it. Sure. Depends on who's calculator is being used.
Last edited by oldtrucker on Feb 26th, 2019, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Postby oldtrucker » Dec 20th, 2018, 2:30 pm

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#245037

Something that the article doesn't explain...
The U.S. has already taken out the nuclear warheads (W88 475kt , W78 350kt and W76 100kt) out of some of the UGM-133 Trident II sub launched ballistic missiles (SLBM). Replaced the warheads with a 1000kg conventional warhead in a program called 'Prompt Global Strike' that can use the accuracy of the missiles ( circular error probable -CEP less than 200 m) to deliver a conventional warhead anywhere on earth in less than 30 minutes, where in the past a quick strike using aircraft would take at least 24 hours. 2 or 3 SLBMs flying out of the ocean could easily be mistaken for a nuclear strike, which is what Putin is bringing attention to.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Postby Catsumi » Dec 20th, 2018, 3:06 pm

I have seen dolphins airbound that could be mistaken for missiles too. Sleek as warheads.

dirtybiker likes this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Postby oldtrucker » Feb 17th, 2019, 1:44 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/wh ... spartandhp

No doubt, a new arms race is happening.
Russia has lots of new toys. Putin even said he found it disturbing that the American people don't seem to care about those new toys.

Edit. Here are some of the new toys... Yu-71, Yu 74 hypersonic glide vehicles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avangard_ ... de_vehicle)

The new RS- 28 Sarmat can carry 24 of them.
I don't agree with the author of the Wikipedia blurb of 2 megaton (2000Kt) yield per glide vehicle as they have a circular error probable of less than 15 meters. With a CEP that accurate, a 10 kiloton warhead would be overkill on any target, hardened or not.
Last edited by oldtrucker on Feb 17th, 2019, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Postby Ka-El » Feb 17th, 2019, 1:51 pm

With apologies oldtrucker ...

With Kim Jong and Putin both playing Trump from opposing flanks (Kim Jong playing Trump into believing him and Putin getting an excuse to be more open about an arms race), this article is timely …

What can we do to prevent nuclear war?

We are three quarters of a century into the nuclear age. Have we yet learned how to live with nuclear weapons? It seems not. Some take heart from the fact that, after the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, there has been no nuclear war. They say, rightly, it would be suicide for the U.S. and Russia to unleash their nuclear weapons.

But we must ask ourselves whether the contending powers actually accept this. If they do not, nuclear deterrence is unstable.

Consider the evidence. It is a dubious form of acceptance of a condition of stable deterrence that leads the opponents to engage in an arms race costing a trillion dollars. Yet that is what they are doing.

In Russian President Putin’s case the big ticket items include new torpedoes capable of making the eastern United States uninhabitable. U.S. President Trump is planning instead space-based lasers, able to burn up incoming missiles.

Why is it so hard to distinguish the supposed equilibrium of deterrence from its opposite, an uncontrolled arms race? The latter description seems more apt.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/wha ... &ocid=iehp

I remember reading an opinion piece by Gwynne Dyer where he identified some key factors that can play into the precuring conditions for world wars to begin; two very important conditions being a strong representation of nationalism and alliances between nations. That last point was questionable to me and I forget how he explained it (and not going to go looking when I could be watching golf) but we should all know we are right now currently living in some very interesting times.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” — Charles Darwin
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6043 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Feb 17th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Just cuz I can... Here is what our area looks like after the first military targets are hit. Industrial and civilian targets left out intentionally. Typical load for a Russian SS-18 mod 5 is 8 warheads @ 750 kilotons each.
7 surface detonations @ 750 kilotons each.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by oldtrucker on Feb 20th, 2019, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldtrucker
Übergod

Postby GordonH » Feb 17th, 2019, 3:44 pm

I suspect in a all out nuclear war, there really won't be any winners. What the warheads don't kill, fallout will.
Best to give each leader who has these weapons a simple video game, use this instead.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8430 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Snman » Feb 17th, 2019, 11:32 pm

IMHO, the only chance our west coast might be hit with a nuke is if North Korea does something stupid and tries to hit the US, and misses. Even then, North Korea's tiny nuke won't have the devastation that would arise from a Russian or Chinese nuclear attack. Just my opinion of course. I think the use of tactical nukes in Europe is far more likely. Again, just mho.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Snman
Übergod

Liked in: 980 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Feb 18th, 2019, 11:00 am

Snman wrote:IMHO, the only chance our west coast might be hit with a nuke is if North Korea does something stupid and tries to hit the US, and misses. Even then, North Korea's tiny nuke won't have the devastation that would arise from a Russian or Chinese nuclear attack. Just my opinion of course. I think the use of tactical nukes in Europe is far more likely. Again, just mho.

"Tiny" is a relative term. From what I saw of North Korea's pic of the 'peanut'- the 3 stage thermonuclear package...it looks to me to be a almost direct copy of the 800 kiloton Russian warhead used in the SS- 25 Topol. North Korea tested a lower power version in 2017, mainly because the test facility would have been destroyed at a higher yield. The test was estimated at 150-300 kilotons. The accuracy would be comparable to the SS-25 at a CEP of 500-1000 meters.
If North Korea had 50 usable ICBM's earmarked for the U.S., and assuming a 50% failure rate, 25 would still make it through. 25 warheads @ even just 250 kilotons each would be the end for the U.S., with every city over 1 million and every(important) naval base hit. Multiple nuclear power plants on the east coast of the U.S. would be on fire/melting down.
Sure , North Korea would be a radioactive sheet of glass from the U.S. retaliation.
Russia could pick up the red phone and demand a immediate US surrender. If I were the Russian president, I would know that after a 25 warhead attack, my opponents country would be in chaos, and its ability to fight a nuclear or even conventional war would be almost neutralised.
oldtrucker
Übergod

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns