Swedens new law on sex

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Swedens new law on sex

Post by maryjane48 »

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Swedens new law on sex

Post by Dizzy1 »

Great article, until this ...

“If men’s violence against women is to cease, it’s the men who have to change,” stated Johansson

... until we start treating rape/abuse/harassment without segregating the sexes, we will continue to loose the battle.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

maryjane48 wrote:https://www.rt.com/news/413666-sweden-rape-consent-law/

Could save miscommunication troubles

Not that the article is fake, I don't know, but I would be very wary of trusting anything whatsoever printed in rt.com. It is a Russian government run propaganda machine, under the guise of a news source.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Verum wrote:Not that the article is fake, I don't know, but I would be very wary of trusting anything whatsoever printed in rt.com. It is a Russian government run propaganda machine, under the guise of a news source.

It gets better ...

https://www.thelocal.se/20171207/swedis ... sex-abroad

So with one law, the want to make sex legal if its consensual, yet in another law they want to make consensual sex illegal if it happens abroad where prostitution is legal and considered consensual :135:

And from the original article ...

Sweden’s adults could be convicted of rape unless they receive a verbal or non-verbal sign of consent from their partner at each step of their sexual encounter

... what does that even mean? Every step of the way? One has to stop every time you take a piece of clothing off and re-ask for "permission"?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Verum wrote:Not that the article is fake, I don't know, but I would be very wary of trusting anything whatsoever printed in rt.com. It is a Russian government run propaganda machine, under the guise of a news source.

It gets better ...

https://www.thelocal.se/20171207/swedis ... sex-abroad

So with one law, the want to make sex legal if its consensual, yet in another law they want to make consensual sex illegal if it happens abroad where prostitution is legal and considered consensual :135:

And from the original article ...

Sweden’s adults could be convicted of rape unless they receive a verbal or non-verbal sign of consent from their partner at each step of their sexual encounter

... what does that even mean? Every step of the way? One has to stop every time you take a piece of clothing off and re-ask for "permission"?

They wouldn't be the first country to enact extraterritorial laws, many do so. Not that I support such laws in this case, I support decriminalisation and regulation of prostitution, for the benefit of the prostitutes more than anyone else.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

I know what rt is . Its a,propoganda, tool of putins .but they have had good reporters so. I tend not to read anything they put out about russia
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Imo nonconsensual sex isn't sex, its rape.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Dizzy1 wrote:Great article, until this ...

“If men’s violence against women is to cease, it’s the men who have to change,” stated Johansson

... until we start treating rape/abuse/harassment without segregating the sexes, we will continue to loose the battle.

Fact: Some men commit violence against women.
Fact: that won't change until those men change.

We don't have to blur the sexes to understand how this works.
I don't see how anyone can argue with Johansson's conclusion. Women are not the ones responsible for men's violence against women, the men are.

Pretty radical, don't you think? Get consent and be sure you have consent before having sex with someone. If you are not sure, then you don't have consent. Is that really too much to ask?
"Under current Swedish law someone can be prosecuted for rape only if it has been proved that they used threats or violence. Under the proposal, rape could be proved if the accuser hadn’t given their explicit verbal agreement or clearly demonstrate their desire to engage in sexual activity."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... it-consent
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Dec 25th, 2017, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Silverstarqueen wrote:

I don't see how anyone can argue with Johansson's conclusion. Women are not the ones responsible for men's violence against women, the men are.

Pretty radical, don't you think? Get consent and be sure you have consent before having sex with someone. If you are not sure, then you don't have consent. Is that really too much to ask?

And the segregating continues.

Fact - Some women commit violence against men.
Fact - that won't change until those women change.

The sooner we can focus on the fact that the violence needs to stop the better, but as long as all the #MeToo, BlackLivesMatters, etc. groups of this world keep directing their energy on their specific corner of society - the farther and farther we'll get from achieving the goal which is to stop violence against each other - full stop, end of story, period!

:132:
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Dec 24th, 2017, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

double post
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Dizzy1 wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:

And the segregating continues.

Fact - Some women commit violence against men.
Fact - that won't change until those women change.

The sooner we can focus on the fact that the violence needs to stop the better, but as long as all the #MeToo, BlackLivesMatters, etc. groups of this world keep directing their energy on their specific corner of society - the farther and farther we'll get from achieving the goal which is to stop violence against each other - full stop, end of story, period!

:132:

Talking about one aspect of a problem i.e. men's violence against women, does not in any way preclude some other aspect of a problem i.e. all violence in it's many many different forms. Yes, we know there is violence of women against women, women against men, men against men (or boys),white on white, black on black, parent against child, child against parent. So why does that preclude someone making a comment about men's violence against women,( in this case a law specifically about sexual intercourse or assault).
If we stop talking about men's violence against women, who are we helping except the perpetrators?

The law previously allowed sexual intercourse as long as no one was threatened or beaten, now it has been clarified to require consent. Laws have to be specific, to a behavior, and in this case certainly do not specify that it only refers to men's violence against women, and is inclusive of both sexes and all orientations.Both parties have to have consent.

So Dizzy, are you in favor of the new law in Sweden that requires consent for sexual relations, or not?
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Wow I suggested this during the Ghomeshi allegations. Adults should sign a consent form before engaging in any sexual contact with a check list of whats allowed and not allowed.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Gixxer wrote:Wow I suggested this during the Ghomeshi allegations. Adults should sign a consent form before engaging in any sexual contact with a check list of whats allowed and not allowed.

Or just be like Sheldon and have them sign a contract.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Check list might not quite work, in that a person could have it signed and then just check off later items that were not originally agreed to. So better to specify in written out form and then stick with the plan.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

So much for foreplay.......
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Social Concerns”