Okanagan migrant agricultural workers are from where?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Hermes
Fledgling

Okanagan migrant agricultural workers are from where?

Post by Hermes »

Quebec? Central America? Punjab? Other?

What are the facts according to your observations? Are you familiar with agriculture or just anecdotal reporting?

But for context here are some links. From leftists organizations and media only. I couldn't find anything from my favourite media source that MSN, and even myself sometimes, loves to hate - Rebel Media...

http://www.ramaokanagan.org/rama-respon ... rs-in-b-c/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racializa ... e_Okanagan

https://globalnews.ca/news/3413087/excl ... onditions/

On a related note I was surprised to see in November in Tokyo that many hotel workers are Chinese and likewise in Bangkok some hospitality and construction workers are not just Lao and Burmese (culturally related) but also Filipino, at least in restaurants. For better or worse, globalization of labour is the new economic reality. Maybe it always has been, but I didn't notice it twenty years ago.

Does the Okanagan have more or fewer foreign workers compared to twenty years ago? I mean relative to population (percentage wise).
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Okanagan migrant agricultural workers are from where?

Post by LANDM »

Most of the tfw's are Mexican and Jamaican.
You and 71 others Like this post
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

The SAWP applies only to TFWs who are citizens from:

Mexico;

AND

Caribbean countries of:
Anguilla
Antigua and Barbuda
Barbados
Dominica
Grenada
Jamaica
Montserrat
St. Kitts-Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago

Typically, in Kelowna we mainly host citizens of Jamaica, Barbados, and Mexico; this is due to the local Consulate Liaison offices for those countries being located here.

They are centrally located on and around Dolphin Avenue.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Hermes wrote:What are the facts according to your observations?

What a strange way to ask a question. Fact is fact. Observations are just that. They are usually not facts. I'm unclear what you want, peoples gut feeling or actual statistics.
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

youjustcomplain wrote:
Hermes wrote:What are the facts according to your observations?

What a strange way to ask a question. Fact is fact. Observations are just that. They are usually not facts. I'm unclear what you want, peoples gut feeling or actual statistics.

There are facts as in statistics in books and reports. And there is reality as in who do you encounter as part of your daily life. For example, I am told that something like 15% of my area of North Coquitlam is Iranian. Those statistics are out of date. The demographics have changed considerably since the last census was taken seven (?) years ago. I am certain it is at least double. And it depends *where* you live.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

The responses to your posts so far are facts and are represented by what we see in the Okanagan. Were you expecting something different?

Return to “Social Concerns”