The hypocritical society

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
fvkasm2x
Guru

The hypocritical society

Post by fvkasm2x »

Was at a friend's house recently and this commercial came on. After it was over, she said "I hate this commercial. I think it sends the wrong message to young girls about love and meeting men."

I didn't really say much about it or think much of it at the time, but over the past few days I've seen it about a dozen times and find it really interesting in conjunction with her comments.

A strange man holds on to a woman's body for much longer than necessary. They then dance and almost kiss.

Meanwhile in the REAL world, you have feminists actually putting out interviews, articles and videos where they say a man should ACTUALLY get permission before even saying hello.

You have completely INSANE lunatics posting videos like the one below, where they verbally attack and swear at someone because they did in fact, say "hello."

Needless to say, it got me thinking about the commercial. We can't say hello to strangers, we certainly can't touch them or kiss them... and yet Apple wants us to think that this is a normal or acceptable interaction between a man and a woman, because, well... sales and romance.

Thoughts?
Even Steven
Guru

Re: The hypocritical society

Post by Even Steven »

fvkasm2x wrote:

Call me rascist but black women can be such drama queens. It's like real-world Maurie's stage with them.
Thoughts?

I think you're expecting too much realism from a commercial. It's all make-belive, doesn't apply to real world.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Even Steven wrote:I think you're expecting too much realism from a commercial. It's all make-belive, doesn't apply to real world.

Very true... but so are Hollywood movies and right now, it's all the rage to get all offended by things. Same with TV shows.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

What a prize this woman is.........husband (crazy if with this P.O.S) and kids (hope not) must be so proud! I sympathize with the police that have to deal with this kind of CRAZY.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I had to watch the Apple ad first.

Thoughts.

It's a very romantic dream sequence. Like "when I meet the right man, there will be no work involved, it'll be an easy complicated dance where no one makes a wrong move and trust is instant."

Many people WANT it to happen that way.

It won't.

But they want it.

Apple has done some good research about expectations of on-line dating as opposed to real life relationships.

Todays #Metoo World isn't about romance, it's about power and control.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Queen K wrote:It's a very romantic dream sequence. Like "when I meet the right man, there will be no work involved, it'll be an easy complicated dance where no one makes a wrong move and trust is instant."

Good observation. I am thinking that's what my friend's wife meant too... although I never asked. Makes sense
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

In todays World of multiple ways to meet new people, where it's easy to have the "grass is greener" in the next profile and no one has to spend years getting to know anyone, where we don't have the social fabric to back up new relationships and keep people in contact, where ghosting is easy, how are people making relationships work? Exactly?

Apple has tapped into that sentiment.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

My thoughts are that it is a commercial designed to sell a product to a targeted audience. You and your friend were probably not the intended targeted audience.

No offense intended, but its a commercial. If your friend is expecting to receive real life lessons about relationships from the t.v ......let alone a 1 minute advertisement, she is most likely the problem-not the message.

Maybe my t.v viewing expectations differ from other peoples, but I expect to be entertained when t.v shows are on based on my viewing preferences, and when a commercial comes on, I expect to go to the bathroom and then grab a soda.

I rather enjoyed the commercial to be honest, there are far worse ones out there, but the discussion evoked around it wasn't portrayed to me when I watched it. In fact, maybe I am the targeted audience for this product as I bought my girlfriend a couple apple products for Christmas! :biggrin:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

I'm sure it'll get banned, just like a lot of movies like "Breakfast At Tiffany's" seeing that the scene portrayed is borderline rape nowadays

Just glad they didn't have to use any pronouns otherwise that would really create a media frenzy :132:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I have never seen that movie, now I want to know what the heck?

The ad and the #Metoo movement have nothing to do with each other. One is selling a product using the allure of romance.

The other is a rejection of objectivication of women and men by people in power positions.

They exist at the same time, that's all.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Beautiful ad, love the dream ( fab dancers too)
First time I've seen it. Didn't get anything neg from it
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

If I met a guy who could dance like that, I'd probably be in love too.
If I could dance like that, he might even do the same.
Does anyone watching this ad think it has any relation to reality, other than that people sometimes meet and fall in love sooner or later?
What is wrong with the ad? I don't know, it's an ad, and not nearly as irritating as most of the ads out there.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Silverstarqueen wrote: What is wrong with the ad? I don't know, it's an ad, ...

Interesting thing. When someone suggests there is an issue we, as a society, should look at, challenge and address (eg. racism, homophobia, violence against women, etc.), without even implying it is a right-wing thing, the first thing the right-wingers are doing is looking for a way to deflect it away from them, accuse the left of being hypocrites (LOL), or try to confuse and muddy the issue enough (what violence against women? There is violence against men too – duh!) so debate becomes meaningless. It is telling that the first inclination in looking at any issue is to engage in psychological defense mechanisms.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Silverstarqueen wrote:What is wrong with the ad? I don't know, it's an ad, and not nearly as irritating as most of the ads out there.

To me, nothing. I don't get upset over ads, movies or Tv. It's simply a discussion point.

But we have all sorts of people getting mad at everything related to media.

People feel the need to make "all female" versions of movies in remakes, to empower women and combat sexism (Ghostbusters, Ocean's 11) and then of course, men get mad in return... apparently being sexist. People are bringing up the Hollywood hypocrisy about movies with child prostitution or films where an adult seduces a child (American Beauty for example, in the wake of the Kevin Spacey thing).

So this ad was pointed out to me by a female, in regards to the relationship portrayed between a stranger... in the wake of the sexual harassment issues going on today.

It's a discussion point. If you don't get it or don't care... move on
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I always ask my kids " You know that's fake , right " , or , " It doesn't work like that in the real world, you know that " ? ..

They know it's all fake . Sadly though , some kids don't ....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Social Concerns”